First Impressions etc

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
I like this table a lot more than I expected to, especially since I am no fan of baseball. (I had to go look up who Frank Thomas is.)

My sympathies to the non-PC players who apparently have had all kinds of trouble with the table. I haven't had any.

I find the left entrance to the orbit hard to hit which is a problem for various reasons, not least getting extra balls. I have sometimes managed to make four or five orbits in a row but always entering from the right. The center ramp shots aren't bad, but getting all the way up the scoop is tricky. The hole (that starts the various rounds of play) I have most often hit, believe it or not, as an accidental off the upper left flipper right after ball launch. Not sure how I'm doing that.

Incidentally, that upper left flipper seems pretty useless; it's not positioned to hit anything but the drop targets and it's none too good for those.

I'm sad that Farsight didn't give us a custom pinball for this that looks like a baseball.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
I like the rule set so far, lots of multi-ball modes and the modes themselves feel varied and worth some points.
Not a fan of baseball either but that's ok - not a soccer fan but love the World Cup Soccer pin - and ironically foosball and the rocket league game.

In the iOS version there are some game breaking bugs with some of the modes (ball tracking in golden gloves) where you have to wait for the machine to cycle or call attendant. That would be pretty frustrating if the table is included in the next tournament...

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
I don't mind this table either. It sure plays like a real-life Premier though - slow, weak flippers, and sometimes the ball just disappears for a while. I enjoy the modes, good multi-balls, and I think the goals are hard but achievable.

I've scratched the hell out of that scoreboard, that's for sure.

Garycope

Nov 5, 2013
It would be nice if you could type in your high score initials. By the time you get the arrow to work the time runs out

invitro

May 4, 2012
I don't care for it so far, but maybe it'll grow on me. Just kind of boring, and the shots aren't fun to make (like most Premiers). I guess I'll have to figure it out for the tourney, maybe I'll like it then :confused:.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I wanted this one. I like this one. Modes are not that much different but I like "catch-shoot the glove". Repeat.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Already my favorite Gottlieb so far, meaning that I actually feel like playing a full credit and not want to immediately exit out of the game. The last few tables had really awful layouts, with a lot of dead ends. I´m already relieved that this game finally has a proper orbit shot.

I´m not really picky when it comes to rule depth in pinball, since we already have so many tables to choose from - all I need at this point is a nice presentation and fun shots. I like the funky FM synth soundtrack (not quite as intense as the crazy good Rescue 911 tunes, but I don´t like that table itself), visuals look pretty nice on DX11, good shots.

Overall I just like the "mood" on this table, from what I played. Having a Gottlieb that doesn´t immediately feel awful is an odd feeling, to be honest. Not a baseball fan at all, but it´s a great theme for a table, and I really like the visual design, shot layout and music on this one.

Another big plus: The announcer tells you where to shoot. I always really like that.

Playing it again, the music sounds oddly robotic and futuristic, which might not actually suit the theme so much, but I´d rather have some scifi tunes than stereotypical organ riffs the entire time.

And I always had a soft spot for those short "ball jump" ramps like the one that feed the upper flipper.

Last edited:

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
This was the table I cut my teeth on in my youth. I'd get an hour for lunch at work on campus, head over to the student union, eat in ten minutes, and then see how long I could play on two dollars. I got good enough that there were several times I had to leave credits and even whole games to be back to work somewhat on time.

This table isn't as great as many of the others in terms of any kind of "objective" pinball analysis, but this is the one table I always wanted out of TPA. I'm super excited, even with the bugs.

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
Speaking from my own personal experience (and I'm sure this option was available on other games, as well): The RL version of Big Hurt has a "buy another ball" feature at the end. Is there any way to simulate that in TPA? It sure would be nice to play a game with five or six balls instead of only three. If the goal is to really simulate the table, then I can tell you that the "two quarters is another game, but one quarter now might mean a high score!" calculus is part of playing a real Big Hurt table.

(Sorry if this question has been asked and answered on another table and I don't know.)

invitro

May 4, 2012
The RL version of Big Hurt has a "buy another ball" feature at the end. Is there any way to simulate that in TPA?
There certainly is a way, but no TPA tables currently have this feature implemented. Presumably Farsight thinks it would be too difficult.

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
Speaking from my own personal experience (and I'm sure this option was available on other games, as well): The RL version of Big Hurt has a "buy another ball" feature at the end. Is there any way to simulate that in TPA? It sure would be nice to play a game with five or six balls instead of only three. If the goal is to really simulate the table, then I can tell you that the "two quarters is another game, but one quarter now might mean a high score!" calculus is part of playing a real Big Hurt table.

(Sorry if this question has been asked and answered on another table and I don't know.)

To that end Who Dunnit? and Judge Dredd also have this IRL. I'm sure there are many others but those are two that I've played with the option.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
The extra ball buy in feature does not mean a high score. Your score is disqualified from the games leaderboard and goes to a separate leaderboard correct? Haven't tried this IRL because I think the buy in is lame - but that's how it works in time shock.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I remember some tables letting you use (a maximum of) one EB buy-in and still be eligible for the main leaderboard. My memory may be wrong though.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
for me a sports nutter,couldn`t be anymore happier !!!! the more sports tables we get the happier I become,THANKS FARSIGHT !!!!:cool::cool::cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Olympics this week YAABLOODYHOO !!!!! and the following weekend most football seasons get underway,no bloody sleep for me until the Olympics finish.good luck everyone,enjoy yourselves !!!!:cool::cool::cool:

JefferyD

May 10, 2013
Took me a little while to warm up to it, but I really like it. At first glance, it’s probably the most unbaseball-ish baseball-themed tie-in ever, and someone should go in and redesign all the artwork so that it looks less like… well, I don’t know; the look of it makes me think of an art-deco diner or hotel lobby.

Played a couple of games this morning and I’m reaching that point of frustrated repetitive play where I will be compelled to go read the instructions. That’s a good thing because it means I’m interested.

Joelpbafan

Nov 1, 2015
I'm impressed by this pin sound effects are great on Google version I think is great visuals are great my only think Amazon's version isn't up to speed on the kindle fire the strobe light up the middle isn't as good and on the new ui it freezes doesn't start but I'm sure this game will be updated and improved as time goes by

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.