Possible bug--winning an extra game (popping/matching)

bluepegasus

Jul 27, 2016
I have been enjoying The Pinball Arcade tremendously and feel that it has given me a lot of value for my money. I have a question--I guess I don't understand how a game mechanic in TPA works.... When I have been playing Elvira& the Party Monsters, Attack from Mars, and Gorgar, (and i hope that it doesnt happen in other tables that I have not yet played) I have encountered something i cant explain. I have been able to match by luck at DMD screen after all my balls have drained or i have popped through gameplay (accumulation of points) and yet i dont get my extra game. What happens each time after I get the pop or i match is that the the game immediately goes to the end game screen (attract mode), and i am left somewhat confused and wondering what happened to my extra game? :confused:

I mean obviously if you have paid for the table you can play it as many times as you want, but i would think that after popping/matching the game would take you immediately to the start of a new game rather than to the game over screen???

I apologize ahead of time if this question has annoyed some of you ro seemed too simplistic for those of you who have been playing a long time. As you can tell I am still relatively new to TPA. In case it's important-- am playing TPA on my PS4.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
No question is too simple, we all have to start somewhere. The answer is that TPA is just not programmed to do that. But even if it would be, it would not be realistic behaviour to actually start a new game right away. On a real machine that is set to paid play, you go to attract mode with an extra credit from the match or replay. You can then choose if you want to spend it or not. If a real machine is set to free play, no credits are used to begin with, or added from a match or replay and you also go to attract mode. It would be fun if paid play could be simulated and that you could query for total replays and matches achieved. But I can definitively live without that though, other fixes and functionality should take precendence over that :)

invitro

May 4, 2012
Well, on a real machine, you still have to push the start button to begin a new game, right? The simulation is accurate, it just has the two added pop-up windows after the end of a game: one for your (or the default) highest scores, and then one showing you the score on the game that you just finished (which is necessary as it's the only way to know for sure your score if you rolled the table's display over). After you dismiss those pop-ups, you're back in attract mode and can press start to start a new game. I hope this partially answers your question? I am glad you are enjoying TPA!

P.S. The simulation is not entirely accurate in a semi-related manner though... when a table is in attract mode, the flipper buttons, and any other buttons except the start button, are not functional. This is small potatoes, but it prevents the simulation of the attract mode Easter Eggs that are on many WMS DMD (and other?) tables, and some sounds like "your shoe is untied" that occasionally happens on AFM when you press a flipper in attract mode :). I do wish we could try out all of these Easter Eggs... there are dozens of them.

bluepegasus

Jul 27, 2016
Thanks guys, you answered my question--thank you for your friendliness on this board. You guys answered my question.. Like slam 23 says it would be fun if it could simulate paid play and keep track of how many replays you've won, but i agree-- if there are bugs that actually affect the gameplay then that should be looked at first.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Thanks guys, you answered my question--thank you for your friendliness on this board. You guys answered my question.. Like slam 23 says it would be fun if it could simulate paid play and keep track of how many replays you've won, but i agree-- if there are bugs that actually affect the gameplay then that should be looked at first.

Well, let's just say there are still some things to be ironed out.... :)

Members online

Members online