So ..... how do I get a good score?

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
It all seems random, I can play for 3 minutes or for 15, and at the end of the game I've either scored 40M or 400M .... and not necessarily related to how many times I think I hit the flashing lights or how well I think I did.

Where are the best places to aim? I don't know if I'm supposed to try to hit the glove or to avoid it. If I don't want to spend ages learning the rules and working it out, is there a basic overview summary, or a comparison to another game someone can offer? Like do I just keep going up the centre, or try to advance a particular shot to a certain valuable goal?

Gotta admit I don't like the table as its not instinctive at all. As a non-American I don't know much about baseball and having never looked closely at a real table, I don't understand what all the bullring stuff and trading cards stuff and innings are all about. Is it just me?

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
Dan, you may want to read only the rules section called Combos. Looping the left orbit several times makes its value go up to 1 billion. I think it's five shots for 1 billion... four shots for 500 million. I don't think it's easy to do though, you have only six seconds to make each shot. It helps if you can live-catch the ball after shooting the orbit. I don't know very many of the rules, but I'm pretty sure the 500M & 1B dominate everything else. I don't know if the left orbit shots need to be made outside of a mode or outside multiball.

The other thing I'll mention: you probably know to hit the big hole on the middle right when it is lit to start a mode. The thing that isn't told to you is how to light that hole. You do it by hitting the center of the glove in normal / one-ball mode. It seems like sometimes hitting the side of the glove works, and/or maybe it takes more than one hit. So that's how I usually play the table: start a mode, then when it finished, shoot the glove to start the next mode and so on. And go for the left orbit sometimes.

Yes, it is not told to you at all whether you should hit the glove or avoid it. At least during a mode, the shots you're supposed to hit are usually flashing. Well I think they are, with my limited knowledge of the table rules.

I don't think a knowledge of baseball really matters much, but since I can't remember not having a knowledge of baseball, I may have a blind spot there. Probably you can treat trading cards and innings like Altars and Shuttles, just things that count up and may be worth something if you get enough of them.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
Combos are almost impossible on mobile platforms. Without gentle nudging there's no way to catch the ball and shoot that left loop in 6s. 3 in a row is my best score. And hitting them on the fly is pure luck.
So, without that, playing modes is actually worth something on this table. And innings also. Jackpots x innings is worth a lot.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
As invitro said loop combos are one possibility for a good score. I would say for a real high score there's a better way. Learn to master the multiball. The Jackpot and especially the Super Jackpot can be very high in longer games. My strategy is it to ignore all other shots/modes and go for the Players Choice in the right lane only. Select always the right award. Multiball and the Hurry Up Extraball are the important awards. The game stack up to 10 EBs. Get it as a basement for a good game. Now a real high score is only a matter of playing time...

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Thanks all. Stacking 10 EBs may be a little beyond my skillset but I appreciate the tips.

I will probably bow out with my 782M for 60 points and call it a day tbh, as I enjoy other tables a lot more.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Just FYI to the OP, regarding innings: a normal baseball game is nine innings. Each inning consists of each of the two teams having a turn at bat (offense) while the other team is out in the outfield (defense). Extra innings are played in case of a tie at the end of the 9th inning.

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding "the bullring stuff."

invitro

May 4, 2012
I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding "the bullring stuff."
The bullpen awards. :)

Oh... the bullpen is the area of ground, usually next to the baseball field, where relief pitchers warm up. And relief pitchers are just replacement or substitute pitchers. (No one knows for sure why it's called the bullpen.)

P.S. FWIW, in cricket, an inning is called an "innings", the same word for both singular and plural. I don't think cricket has a bullpen?

Last edited:

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Speaking of good scores and I apologize for hijacking this thread.. I was wondering why there are no high scores posted on the website for this table in iOS? If you happen to see this Mr Flippy Floppy maybe you could check it out for us iOS type people? Thanks.

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Oh and as for getting a good score on this table( I don't have Tarek score obviously but I have a pretty good one). I used a combo of what Tarek and Invitro stated. Combos and multi all. The live catch off that screaming left orbit is really important.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Speaking of good scores and I apologize for hijacking this thread.. I was wondering why there are no high scores posted on the website for this table in iOS? If you happen to see this Mr Flippy Floppy maybe you could check it out for us iOS type people? Thanks.

On the official TPA site the leaderboards for iOS are not displaying scores, and they put a text beneath: "we are aware of the iOS issue with both the Big Hurt and EBD tables not displaying scores. We aim to fix this in the next update". Scores seem to be registed though, with HOF points given. In-app they only display the iOS scores.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
And back on topic: I don't find the TPA instructions for Big Hurt very clear
- what does determine that a right Gap shot becomes a player's choice?
- which EB's are repeatable? I can only think of the player's choice one, but have never got that one more than twice (in the form of a hurry-up). Trading in cards seem to work only once for EB, after that one it will give MB instead (say the rules).
- to make things worse, some shots are clearly not registering which obfuscate aformentioned matters....

Members online

Members online