Found some interesting variations

tim_the_bowler71

Jul 3, 2013
Since some of us have been noting some differences between what we remember on real tables, and what we experience on TPA's version, I found a copy of the Eight Ball Deluxe operator's manual at the IPDB, and noted some interesting differences between the way our game is programmed, and the factory recommendations for game play.

For the Bank Shot, recommended is for it to alternate between 50k and a special for the entire ball, which is how we have it.

For the C/D rollover Lights, recommended is for it to take out both when you hit either one, but we have it only putting the one out.

For hitting all four ABCD targets, recommended is for it to drop two pool bals, but we have it only dropping one.

For the left lane sequences, recommended is for it to do the same sequence every ball, of no light, 10k, 30k, 50k, EB, 70k, and Special, then camp at 70k. However, we have the other version, which goes no light, 10k, 30k, 50k, extra ball, and camping at 70k one ball, then no light, 10k, 30k, 50k, 70k, special, and camping at 70k the next ball. Hitting extra ball or special will switch to the next sequence the next ball.

For completing the 8 ball after completing a rack, recommended is for a special to score after the second and the third time. However, based on my own experience, I completed a second rack with 8 ball last night, and do not believe i was awarded a special, so i think this one is set to only give a special when completing the third rack with 8 ball.

For the saucer hole scoring, recommended is for the rack and bonus values including the 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x multipliers. Which is what we have.

For the gamefield deluxe lights, recommended is that any deluxe lights knocked out will NOT come on after the 8 ball is completed on the next ball. But, we have it set that any deluxe lights knocked out DO come back on after the next 8 ball completion.

For the pool drop targets after completing deluxe, the recommended setting is for the pool balls to NOT reset until the ball drains (meaning you can hit deluxe repeatedly after the same rack is completed). But, we have it where the targets reset each time deluxe is completed.

For the deluxe award, this one is a bit confusing, as there are four settings. One is special, 50k, special, 50k. Two is 50k, special, 50k, special. Three is special, 50k, 50k, 50k. Four is 50k, special, 50k, 50k. Since 50k is the first award for completing deluxe, that means it is either option two or four. Since i have not made deluxe more than twice in a game, i cannot say for sure, but based on the fact that the bank shot alternates, then the manual states that it would be option two. The recommended option is one.

So, it appears that we have some of the factory recommendations for some options, but tougher settings on others (all of the recommendations are considered "liberal" instead of conservative). But, we are also missing the earning of specials for hitting 600k or 1.1 million, and the match feature, which might be the difference between nine specials or ten in a game! In addition, we may or may not be missing the three replays for beating the "high score to date". Since i have not beaten the default high score of about 3.7 million yet, i cannot confirm this one.

Most of the tables seem to follow recommended factory settings (at least on the few i play the most, where i've had real life experience). Would love to see this one play true to form also. But great table regardless. Even with the plumbing problems in the drains! :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
For all we know these are the settings that were put in place by the operator, who in this case are the Arcade Expo in Banning CA.

Can we be sure that disabling match and replays for scores aren't linked to setting the game on free play? After all in the normal run of things, free games mean nothing on free play. FS only introduced significance to Specials (NOT the same thing as Replays) artificially.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've now owned the real deal of this table for a little over a month. I tried out all the settings as the manual 'recommended', and it makes the table way too forgiving. I then set it up for everything to be on 'conservative' setting. That changes your strategies a bit, as there are no extra balls and the drop targets don't reset after collecting DELUXE. Wasn't as much fun. Now I have it really close to how FarSight has it, just not so generous with the extra balls.

I gotta say, FarSight has done a good job with how brutal this table is on drains. The nastiest one that is when you knock down the 8 ball target with anything other than a full power shot, the ball is gonna go SDTM. I have to remember to preemptively nudge right as it's about to exit the lane to prevent this. What FarSight does not have right, and this is so often the case with almost all the tables but especially noticeable on pre '85 machines is how fast the ball moves. There are times when it is blindingly fast in game, but simply has never moved that fast on the my machine. It's not a slow table to be sure, but it's also impossible for the ball to rocket from left flipper tip up the opposite flipper inlane to bounce on the edge of the 8 ball lane and subsequently hit the target. I'll also mention that my outlanes are even less forgiving than FarSight's. I can't tell you how many times the ball in and outs from the inlane only to land in the out. I'm not much of a nudger in real life, but this machine is bound and determined to teach me how to be!

I've got rubber on it's way and some new lane guide plastics (6 of 'em) being made, and then I'll clean and wax the playfield for probably the first time in 15 years. That's how long the prior owner had it for. Be interesting to see how it plays after.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
... I tried out all the settings as the manual 'recommended', and it makes the table way too forgiving. I then set it up for everything to be on 'conservative' setting. That changes your strategies a bit, as there are no extra balls and the drop targets don't reset after collecting DELUXE. Wasn't as much fun. Now I have it really close to how FarSight has it, just not so generous with the extra balls.

The upper left lane EB award can only be collected once per game in Farsights case. And If I'm understanding you correctly, after collecting the DELUXE from the spots behind the drops you cannot advance the point collection value after one time on conservative? interesting design choice.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The upper left lane EB award can only be collected once per game in Farsights case.

It can be collected up to 3 times per game. If you collect the Special from the left lane on your next ball, you can collect the EB on the next ball, and so on. So effectively you can get an EB this way on balls 1, 2, and 3, if you get the Special each time as well.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Ah okay so Farsights instructions for that lane and the EB/specials section exclude this tid bit on this EB/Special interaction. I didn't yet earn EB on 'Ball 2' yet to confirm, but I did see how extra ball and special swap places on 'real ball 1' and 'extra ball 1' during lane progression.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Tradtionally, on 5 ball c and d are not ganged together, and on 3 ball they are.

Many of these liberal defaults are changed for 5 ball play.

I think c and d should go together for 3 ball play, but otherwise farsights settings are pretty good i think.i think they made the settings the way they are to make the wizard goals harder. :)

Members online

Members online