Buying 1st PS3, help me out...

Pericles

May 30, 2012
Hey There,

I'm a bit of an old timer and I haven't owned a console since the PS2. I have had a few PSPs and I now own a Vita. I work a lot and game on the go... but I think I want to buy a PS3 and I am thinking of getting the Call of Duty Bundle.

My question?

What else do I need to get the system right? Is it playable out of the box? Do I need a second controller? Do I need a memory card? Because of reward points, I will probably purchase at the end of July or early August. I know this bundle comes with a big 320gb drive and will take in Netflix and Amazon, so I am pretty stoked.

BUT... I heard rumors of a new PS3 "Super Slim" today.

http://stuffmideast.com/2012/07/09/132774/newer-slimmer-sony-ps3-coming-to-gamescom-next-month/

What should I do peeps?

PSN: The_Pericles

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
No, you don't need a second controller unless you want to play a game with someone. You don't need a memory card either, as the games will be saved onto the hard drive.

If you picture yourself playing it a lot, I'd suggest buying PS+. This costs $50/year, and gives you access to some free games, as well as discounts. Right now they have a TON of full-sized games for free that you can download. Keep in mind you lose access to the games if your PS+ membership expires.

Some of the free games right now include:
Infamous 2
Little Big Planet 2
Just Cause 2
Saints Row 2
Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
Gotham City Imposters

And a whole bunch more (maybe another 10). They're going to rotate games in and out, so there's definitely huge value there, especially for someone just getting a PS3.

mfk

Jul 9, 2012
The good thing about PS+ is that you get an online storage where you can store even copy-protected savegames (these remain on your system even if you do a backup, eg on an external HDD).
If you ever have to change your PS3, all your savegames can be restored. There are many other features like free games, automatic updates and upload of your savegames.
For me - as a so called "core gamer", this is a big advantage.
If you only play occasionaly you have to consider price vs advantages. The games you get for free can only be played if you have an active PS+ account. So you have to extend it as long as you want to play those games. This does not affect games you bought with an PS+ discount - only the free ones.
And in my opinion PS+ is not very well integrated to the PS Vita yet - at least in Europe.

Greetings

Michael

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Hi Pericles , Im a old time gamer too , the PS3 old slim models are more desirable get one in preference to any newer Sony models. The reason being the newer the model the cheaper the production quality , and they tend to strip out features you might miss . The PS3s have their own built in harddrive so no memory card is used. The controls are bluetooth wireless , and USB computer devices like a headphone will work on the PS3 .

Stores like Gamestop are starved for console sales right now (for example I just bought Mortal Kombat Vita for $10 brand new) , so now is a great time to adapt to PS3 .

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I'd hang fire a little while and see what the next gen PS3 has to offer. Could well have solid state drives. No idea when but soon apparently....

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's been tested multiple places, and basically putting a sold state drive in the PS3 does very, very little in terms of performance. Given the prices of the drives, and the lack of performance improvements, I can't see them putting a solid state drive in a new model.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
The latest PS3 will likely be devised to reel in as many holdouts as possible, before the PS4 makes it's entrance, so they will probably skimp on features to offer as low a price as possible.

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
When was the last time the PS3 had a major feature stripped out? We've lost SACD, PS2 support, USB ports, memory card ports, and Linux, but those losses are all two years old or more at this point, aren't they? I have a launch 60GB (upgraded to 250GB) and a 160GB Slim, and I've been happier with the Slim's performance, honestly. It runs cooler and quieter, even if it can't run PS2 games.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I've had a 60gb first gen machine since 2007, still going strong (famous last words). Got a 320gb slim still in box 6 months after getting it free with my new tv. Loathed to swap it out for two reasons....

1. Don't want to lose the PS2 function
2. Stephen Hawking isn't available to guide me through the data transfer process.

Tending to agree with you Gord on the drive issue, and you Richard B as far as the PS4 goes given Sony's state of affairs at the mo....

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
To the OP: if you want to play in HD (assuming you have an HD TV) you also need to buy an HDMI cord. Just get the cheapest you can find for the length you need. Digital cords don't need to be gold plated, diamond tipped, super expensive lossless cords. Mine was 4 bucks for 3 metres I think.

For some inexplicable f'd up reason consolemanufacturers tend to give you only SD-cords when selling the console (I bought a new 360 last month, it came with approx 100 bucks worth in games but a f'in SD cord...). Probably so they hope you buy their overpriced 30$/euro cord, but I loathe to think how many people have their 200+ bucks console hooked up to their 700+ bucks 1080p tv's with composite SD cables and wondering what all this "HD-gaming hubbub" and Bluray-hype is all about.

Pericles

May 30, 2012
Everyone,

Thank you for all of the input. My questions are answered. But more.

Does anyone have an opinion on the present 320gb PS3 (Is it in the slim form factor?) in the COD Bundle?

@Sinistar Does the bluetooth work for headphones also?

@Gord I plan on PS+. There isn't anything for the Vita on PS+ yet is there?

@Gord and Chris -- I think SSDs have a long way to go before they become amazing gaming drives. Not only is the performance boost negligible, but at the moment, the bigger the drive, the more sketchy the speed and reliability from my experience and reading. There are some SSD horror stories out there.

@bavelb I am DEFINITELY playing in HD! I already have more cables than devices.

Thank you all for your responses.

Cheers,
Pericles

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Pericles Im fairly certain Bluetooth headsets (even non PS3) are going to work. I have the 320 GB PS3 myself, another reason not to go to a newer model, there are more acessories designed for it , and cheap to find.

the new PS3 model has LED lights removed and the standard def cable was changed to a proprietary model , because Sony was not in compliance with Blu Ray standards , people were using the old cable models to copy blue ray into standard definition video files.

JCChaconJr

Jul 10, 2012
Hi all!

I just wanted to add a few things...

Bluetooth stereo headsets will work - But they only work to transmit chat audio. Sony's PS stereo headset will do simulated 7.1 stereo sound AND chat audio. Technically, it's a Bluetooth headset, but uses a special dongle in order to work its magic.

The PS3 has hands-down the EASIEST method for backing up your data, thanks to the built in backup/restore utility. I've gone from the original 60GB to a 320GB, and recently got a 1TB drive to upgrade again! You can backup to any USB external HD, then import after installing a new drive and formatting it. :)

As for accessories, if you don't go for the PS Stereo HEADSET, at least get the Bluetooth headset. I have the original one which is crystal clear, so I would expect that the current 2.0 version is just as good.

I used to play my Xbox more often than my PS3, but lately, quite the opposite is true.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
The wireless bluetooth stereo headset is awsome for movies, music, and games. I would have liked more adjustability to the audio with the headset or in XMB audio, the 2 modes STEREO isnt clear as simulated 7.1 it has more BASS and vice versa 7.1 simulated has a good range, but needs a lil'more BASS....I'm happy with mine, very comfortable, sleek, easy to use, the construction is o.k. but durable unlike TB wich broke 1st day...christmas. You can only use 1 headset per PS3 and USB dongles are NOT interchangeable, good thing I got that warranty! :) moving accident..(DONT LEAVE USB DONGLE IN PS3 DURING TRANSPORT).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.