Doctor Who - Regen Table: Q&A

Strikezilla01

FarSight Employee
Dec 23, 2015
With the original Doctor Who table releasing tomorrow, I am opening this thread for questions regarding the "Regen Table" we have been working on.

Obviously there are some questions that I will not be able to answer due to approvals and agreements; however, I am able to share way more information than I was able to earlier in our development cycle.

If you have a question, query, theory, or wish to discuss the new table... Have at it.

- Strikezilla01

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
What new features of this table can you talk about? Does it come with modes to finish and different multiballs?

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Just for those who didn't watch the stream, can you recap what you said there? From what I remember:

- The table will need final approval from BBC before release, so you can't really tell when it will be released. You don't expect any issues, as BBC is very interested in the table
- You created 140 new DMDs for the table from scratch
- You don't think the regen table counts towards the 10 tables for season 6 (can you verify this?)
- The table is a reskin and a revamp, so we can expect to see some different layout

Conclusion from my side: The Regen table will not be the October table.

Anything I missed/didn't understand correctly?

Strikezilla01

FarSight Employee
Dec 23, 2015
What new features of this table can you talk about? Does it come with modes to finish and different multiballs?

The table is a hybrid between a reskin and a revamp. We have altered the layout quite significantly. The BBC asked us to stick to the original ROM as much as possible, but gave us permission to rework certain aspects.

So it will feel similar to the original but also different in a lot of ways. We expect higher scores as the new table is designed to open up more shots while offering more targets to hit. It may leave you... Weeping.

Just for those who didn't watch the stream, can you recap what you said there? From what I remember:

- The table will need final approval from BBC before release, so you can't really tell when it will be released. You don't expect any issues, as BBC is very interested in the table
- You created 140 new DMDs for the table from scratch
- You don't think the regen table counts towards the 10 tables for season 6 (can you verify this?)
- The table is a reskin and a revamp, so we can expect to see some different layout

Conclusion from my side: The Regen table will not be the October table.

Anything I missed/didn't understand correctly?

1. The table is constantly under approval from the BBC. They take every piece serious to a very finite point. Doctor Who is extremely important to them, but they have done amazing work with helping us achieve a very accurate portrayal of their flagship show. We are really down to the last little bits, so it shouldn't be much longer until we are at 100% approved.

2. I was responsible for making the DMDs (on top of being the leader designer of the entire project). I created 160+ images of 128x32 pixels on an initial pass. We ended up running with just over 140 of them due to ROM changes we were able to manipulate. We are essentially injecting them into the original ROM software. In essence, if the Regen Table was ever physically created, we could place the new DMDs into the hardware and it would display properly. Not to mention... They look amazing. Our lead programmer did wonders to make them turn out impressively clear and detailed at such a low resolution.

3. The October table is not the Regen Table. The Regen Table is part of Season 6; however, it is not included in the "10". So consider it a bonus "11", if you bought/earned Season 6.

4. As I listed to the above question: it is a true hybrid. You will recognize parts of the original ROM and the stuff we changed.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i like you, my overal question does it capture the new series? if its a change like pinbot vs jackbot ill be avery happy boy! i wonder if the beeb will advertise it, they had very low quality games before this is the first game for the masses no pressure in a comiccon sense we alllove it

Strikezilla01

FarSight Employee
Dec 23, 2015
i like you, my overal question does it capture the new series? if its a change like pinbot vs jackbot ill be avery happy boy! i wonder if the beeb will advertise it, they had very low quality games before this is the first game for the masses no pressure in a comiccon sense we alllove it

It absolutely captures the mood, atmosphere, setting, and pace of the new series. From the music to the art, it represents how the show has changed from the original to the modern version.

The BBC has agreed interest in marketing or at minimum give public support for it. They like the work we have done on both tables and are equally open to express that excitement.

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I'll throw the notes I took from the Twitch Stream for Dr Who (original) here:

iOS/Android/Steam release tomorrow
Consoles next month (xbox one/ps4/not sure what else)
Oculus release in a month or so - no official date
Sounds like a good potential for an EM pack again - a quote around that questioning "Will be releasing EMs in the future"
No ETA on Stern Pinball Arcade release on other platforms
As mentioned The Regenerated table should not be counted against the 10 table releases for this season
Strikezilla mentioned have approval to use all Doctors (current/old) for Regen table
Dr Who Ball Pack - Likely one will be a Dalek looking ball

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Totally pie in the sky, but any chance of Rowan Atkinson's Doctor from "Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death" showing up as a bonus anywhere?

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
I'm curious as to if you were able to get any of the Doctors back (or other characters) for any original voice work? A Jackpot from Christopher Eccleston? A Multiball from David Tennant? Something like that (you know, pinball specific phrases, not just something you could get from a show soundbite). Raul Julia's voice work for the Addams Family pinball table really added to the experience, and I imagine Doctor Who specific stuff would as well.

Strikezilla01

FarSight Employee
Dec 23, 2015
I mean the original table will it be released for Amazon kindle fire :-( strikezilla

Kindle Fire will be slightly delayed (a couple of days). They asked for a resubmission, so we are just waiting on them.

I'll throw the notes I took from the Twitch Stream for Dr Who (original) here:

iOS/Android/Steam release tomorrow
Consoles next month (xbox one/ps4/not sure what else)
Oculus release in a month or so - no official date
Sounds like a good potential for an EM pack again - a quote around that questioning "Will be releasing EMs in the future"
No ETA on Stern Pinball Arcade release on other platforms
As mentioned The Regenerated table should not be counted against the 10 table releases for this season
Strikezilla mentioned have approval to use all Doctors (current/old) for Regen table
Dr Who Ball Pack - Likely one will be a Dalek looking ball

1. Correct on what is going out today.
2. That is the target for the console releases.
3. Perhaps. We will see how it all plays out on Oculus.
4. Potentially some new EMs coming.
5. Affirmative. We are working out the schedules for platforms involving Stern Pinball Arcade.
6. Yes. It is not one of the 10, but it is part of Season 6 as an additional table.
7. I will confirm that. Old and New Doctors. Perhaps a few other characters as well...
8. Likely and a few nice surprises for custom pinballs as well.

Totally pie in the sky, but any chance of Rowan Atkinson's Doctor from "Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death" showing up as a bonus anywhere?

"The pie is a lie." I will confirm that Rowan is not on the Regen Table.

I'm curious as to if you were able to get any of the Doctors back (or other characters) for any original voice work? A Jackpot from Christopher Eccleston? A Multiball from David Tennant? Something like that (you know, pinball specific phrases, not just something you could get from a show soundbite). Raul Julia's voice work for the Addams Family pinball table really added to the experience, and I imagine Doctor Who specific stuff would as well.

If you are referring to the Old Table... No. We wanted to keep everything original. No rerecordings from any of the first 7 Doctors.

As for the New Table... Expect to hear a lot of actors/actresses voices and I will confirm that we may have had personal/unique recordings from two major Doctor Who characters.

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013

"The pie is a lie." I will confirm that Rowan is not on the Regen Table.

The Rowan Atkinson version of Dr Who would have been an awesome Easter Egg for a Midnight Madness mode - e.g. some pinball machines have a mode where at Midnight the machine will go in to a special multiball mode with crazy scoring and light show. Once the last multiball drains it's over and your regular game continues.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Licencing probably would have been a nightmare, but I was kind of hoping to have some hidden way to trigger a mishap with the transmat as an easter egg. Instead of one of the official Doctors you end up with an alternate Doctor like Rowan Atkinson, Peter Cushing or Richard Grant.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Question: For people who buy tables not as a season paxk, but selevted single tables, will the regenerated table be a seperate purchase, when they already bought the normal Dr. Who table? Or is the Dr. Who a double pack? Would be interesting, as the regenerated table was only added in a higher tier in the Kickstarter campaign.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Question: For people who buy tables not as a season paxk, but selevted single tables, will the regenerated table be a seperate purchase, when they already bought the normal Dr. Who table? Or is the Dr. Who a double pack? Would be interesting, as the regenerated table was only added in a higher tier in the Kickstarter campaign.

Exactly. It's possible, but unlikely they would bundle the regenerated table for single pack buyers when Kickstarter backers needed to pay a higher tier.

Strikezilla01

FarSight Employee
Dec 23, 2015
Licencing probably would have been a nightmare, but I was kind of hoping to have some hidden way to trigger a mishap with the transmat as an easter egg. Instead of one of the official Doctors you end up with an alternate Doctor like Rowan Atkinson, Peter Cushing or Richard Grant.

Licensing wasn't as difficult as you think, but it wasn't the direction we wanted to go. The Regen Table "setting" is a lot like an episode from the show. We went very tight to the storylines and themes they are using with the modern series.

It will be available as a separate purchase. You do not have to buy the original Doctor Who table in order to have the new one.

Off topic, but will you be releasing for Ouya console? I heard it is a failed product.

Unless something huge changes, we are still releasing on Ouya.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.