Not impressed with dr.Who

chiliace

Aug 15, 2012
I can't understand why people think this is a great table. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now I feel it is slow, slow, slow. Although I do understand, this may be a personal preference. As for being a new member, my join date is 2012. Does that sound like a new member to you?

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
This table is FUN in real life, but not really so fun here in TPA.

The physics are way off.

For anyone who complains that the cliffhanger ramp is too easy, i've actually found it EASIER in real life then here in TPA. Power of the uper flipper is never n issue. shots making it up from a LOWER flipper though, that's a bit unrealistic. :)

Locks and daleks are wayyyyy too hard to hit.

Flipper aim is all OVER the place, and seems to have no consistency.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
D@mn, I lost my EBD and Big Hurt score too! I had a 20B+ score on Big Hurt that I totally lost, the EBD score of 13B is still in my local leaderboard. I have the HOF points to prove it though, maybe send a screenshot of those to support@farsight.com? I did a Restore HOF points, and that did what I expected --> I lost the HOF points I got on both tables.

There was a bug where iOS scores for those two tables were being sent to their own leaderboard (different from the PC and android leaderboards). They must have fixed this, which is why your scores aren't on the leaderboard anymore (they were never there to begin with).

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Hey Dizzer or Tarek, in DX9 does this crap happen to you?
there's a scroll bar, you can go frame by frame, by dragging it, to inspect the interaction

Another interaction problem similar to this was Judge Dredd and High Speed II, both on the left flipper when a ball was coming in to the left and I try to catch it only to have a ball fall out through the flipper from a trap.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's been over 20 years since I regularly played Dr Who, but when I was playing it regularly, it was every night for a couple of months before the table was swapped out (can't remember if it was TZ or Dracula, not that it matters too much).

Still, it amazes me how many little nuances I remembered when playing the TPA version, and I think for the most part this is spot-on. The loop ramp behaves like I remember it, balls going round the back, in the bumpers, all quite nicely done. One thing I don't miss is sometimes the ball would spin coming out of the TARDIS and disappear down the right outlane. The ball saver is (silently) active for TARDIS feeds for that reason. If we ever get ball spin, that would be a nice touch if it happened.

I do agree that shots to the Dalek holes, and to a lesser extent the lock holes, are nerfed. Part of this is the well-documented weakness in TPA physics of shots that are dead center, particularly high up the table. The best example is the castle in MM. You just can't hit it with a running shot; and the same goes with the Dalek holes in Dr Who. I'd have thought that by now just randomly flailing at balls I'd have managed to get a hit, let alone actually trying to line up shots. Instead I have to make a pass-and-trap to the left flipper, where shots can be lined up. Not great during multiball, of course. The only one I can semi-reliably manage is a backhand into the right Dalek hole, which is absurd, because naturally you'd think that the left and center ones would be far more open.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
[MENTION=4106]EldarOfSuburbia[/MENTION] since you have so much experience with it, I have a question for you: When a ball makes a slow descent from the H lane, from a weak shot, does the ball bounce upward/away a bit when meeting the upper flipper?

I expect the ball to rollover the flipper, not bump off of it at a slow speed, while lining up for a ramp shot.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
[MENTION=4106]EldarOfSuburbia[/MENTION] since you have so much experience with it, I have a question for you: When a ball makes a slow descent from the H lane, from a weak shot, does the ball bounce upward/away a bit when meeting the upper flipper?

I expect the ball to rollover the flipper, not bump off of it at a slow speed, while lining up for a ramp shot.

I'd expect it to roll down the flipper, but I don't remember anything like that. Mostly I remember stuff that happened a lot, and balls dribbling slowly up the Hang On lane (not far enough to roll over the switch) I guess are something of a rarity. Most of the time a ricochet off the right slingshot will send the ball at a decent speed up the Hang On lane, just as if you'd made the shot with the right flipper.

Like I said, it was over twenty years ago and I may or may not have been drinking alcohol at the same time ;)

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
There was a bug where iOS scores for those two tables were being sent to their own leaderboard (different from the PC and android leaderboards). They must have fixed this, which is why your scores aren't on the leaderboard anymore (they were never there to begin with).

Well, after politely asking Farsight to restore them (I had proof of both scores, one even came from my backup remote save on my iPhone), they did! Very big shout-out to support for this, especially how quick they went about it!

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Hey Dizzer or Tarek, in DX9 does this crap happen to you? there's a scroll bar, you can go frame by frame, by dragging it, to inspect the interaction

Never for me until now. Maybe cause I avoid multiball due the wrong physics most of the time. :p

@EldarOfSuburbia since you have so much experience with it, I have a question for you: When a ball makes a slow descent from the H lane, from a weak shot, does the ball bounce upward/away a bit when meeting the upper flipper? I expect the ball to rollover the flipper, not bump off of it at a slow speed, while lining up for a ramp shot.

I think we all should have learned from all TPA tables that they're much easier than a real pinball and it is useless to compare all details with a real pinball. All ROM's are not made for the TPA versions and we have found a lot of bugs in longer games. For sure it's a little bit pity that the Dr. Who multiball is so different compared to the real machine. As a compensation I've never got more than 30-40 video waves 20 years ago. Today I've played 86 waves in TPA and more seems possible...

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I think we all should have learned from all TPA tables that they're much easier than a real pinball and it is useless to compare all details with a real pinball.

I see a pattern forming on upper flipper games like Big Hurt and Dr Who where the ball is doing funky things near or at the crack between the flipper and the playfield lanes at low speeds. Was curious if real games had that happen. I've watched some PAPA footage and seen malformed/authentic(?) inlanes come just below the flippers height and watched it bounce up at slow speeds also but not have an issue at a fast pace.

Just curious if it's something that's accurate or to keep an eye on is all.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I can't understand why people think this is a great table. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now I feel it is slow, slow, slow. Although I do understand, this may be a personal preference. As for being a new member, my join date is 2012. Does that sound like a new member to you?

The game is excellent! Dr. Who is a table I've only played a few times at a few locations so TPA has given me an opportunity to dig deeper into the game and I'm pretty happy with it.

It leaves a much better impression IRL, like most tables. Keep digging.

This weekend I'll get another chance at the real thing. I'll be comparing thoroughly. The TPA version is a great boon for me, though, because a big local tournament is coming up in November and Who is a featured game:

Johnny Mnemonic
Fish Tales
Dr. Dude
Xs & Os
Dr. Who
Laser War
Hardbody
Indianapolis 500
Firepower
Demolition Man

This is going to be a rough day. Mnemonic is the only table I'm strong with.

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Guess I will mess up the 'unimpressed' thread with some of my crappy positivity :p

I have never seen a real Dr Who pin so I can't comment on the accuracy of the simulation. I have had fun playing the W-H-O combo is super satisying, looking at the layout I didt expext such nice flow. The playfied multiplier feature is an awesome touch, that extra flipper loop gives this game some depth. The ball locking and jackpots are challenging but doable imo. I see comments that the loop is too easy and the time expander shots are to difficult, I assumed the shots not going where ai expect was due to the Lightning flippers, it would be nice if they tweeked and tuned some shots to mirror real gameplay better. Overall I am glad I bought my season pass so far, 3 great additions so far imo. Good job Farsight!
[MENTION=4638]HotHamBoy[/MENTION] tell us your tourney results

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Snorzel, check out hyperspace a retro arcade near casa Bonita. Has around 14 pins. $10 day pass with all the machines on free play. They are doubling their space and I think my friend is going to put his dr. Who on location there.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
The game is excellent! Dr. Who is a table I've only played a few times at a few locations so TPA has given me an opportunity to dig deeper into the game and I'm pretty happy with it.

It leaves a much better impression IRL, like most tables. Keep digging.

This weekend I'll get another chance at the real thing. I'll be comparing thoroughly. The TPA version is a great boon for me, though, because a big local tournament is coming up in November and Who is a featured game:

Johnny Mnemonic
Fish Tales
Dr. Dude
Xs & Os
Dr. Who
Laser War
Hardbody
Indianapolis 500
Firepower
Demolition Man

This is going to be a rough day. Mnemonic is the only table I'm strong with.
---------
Yes...Dr. Who is awesome. IMHO, I find hitting for the middle right (Tardis) best. I just wish the call-outs get better. :D

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Snorzel, check out hyperspace a retro arcade near casa Bonita. Has around 14 pins. $10 day pass with all the machines on free play. They are doubling their space and I think my friend is going to put his dr. Who on location there.

Jeez! Not only do you have the awesomeness that is Casa Bonita, but there's also a retro arcade nearby? Where's the 'envy' emoji?

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Jeez! Not only do you have the awesomeness that is Casa Bonita, but there's also a retro arcade nearby? Where's the 'envy' emoji?

South Park was correct! The food at casa bonita is not awesome but makes up for it with the all you can eat sopapillas. the arcade at casa bonita blows (kind of reminds me of hell) but the overall experience of casa bonita is indeed AWESOME. Anyone visiting colorado go to casa bonita skip their ghetto arcade then go to hyperspace a couple of blocks away = GOOD DAY.

https://www.hyperspace80s.com

Reminds me of arcades from when I was a kid - dark cool atmosphere, music pumping, and my favorite arcade games from back then. (star castle and rastan)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.