No love for the Playstation

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
wolfson: you may want to consider purchasing a cheap BD player to play bluray discs. The laser in your PS3 has a finite lifetime.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
True, mine died 1.5 years ago. I opened the PS3 and cleaned the laser but without success.Instead of replacing the drive I decided to buy a separate player and re-purchased the games the family still liked and that I only had on disc (FIFA, Red Dead Redemption, Lego Lord of the Rings, Mass Effect).

Maybe a PS4 is an option next year although I am more tempted by building a virtual pin with PC hardware. :cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
thanks fellas for the heads up , I live with my dad and I have my own place so I have 2 PCs ,2PS3s and 2 PS4s that way I do not have to pack console or PC .I will buy the XBOX SCORPIAN later in the year .as for the PS4 PRO I am not convinced yet .:cool:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Hey, Sony has finally announced officially the PS3 death... as the production will end soon.

I remember when Ken Kutaragi said "PS3 will last 10 years". :cool:

Oh... and so died the last console with FREE online play... :(

Last edited:

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Thanks [MENTION=2327]Tann[/MENTION]. I haven't seen any brand-new PS3's in the Main Stores (like Wal-Mart, Best Buy and EB Games=Canadian GameStop) for ages. So production may stop but they weren't for sale anyway. On PS4 you still can play TPA / Stern PA with full access to the leaderboards without signing up for PSPlus. The head-to-head probably won't work without it, if it ever comes. I mean, how long have we been waiting for 2+ player with 2+ controllers?

Michael

Jan 9, 2015
I haven't seen any brand-new PS3's in the Main Stores (like Wal-Mart, Best Buy and EB Games=Canadian GameStop) for ages. So production may stop but they weren't for sale anyway.

I saw brand-new PS3's for sale at Géant just last week. Carrefour and FNAC have them too. Yes, that would be France. So lo and behold, I guess American stores (even if in Canada) aren't the end-all be-all bellwether for what's for sale in the rest of the world...

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I saw brand-new PS3's for sale at Géant just last week. Carrefour and FNAC have them too. Yes, that would be France. So lo and behold, I guess American stores (even if in Canada) aren't the end-all be-all bellwether for what's for sale in the rest of the world...

Indeed. I can understand they don't want to devote expensive shelf space (+ the logistics involved) in stores for near end-of-life products, but it should have been easy to offer them as online-only items. Just looked at WalMart.com (US) and there were 3 PS3 console offerings, all out of stock and 2 of these were marked Refurbished. So looks like NTSC machines have been ended a while ago.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
We don't have any PS3 SKUs, either new or refurbs, any longer. All our PS3 SKUs are inactive, haven't sold a new one since 2015 or a refurb since June last year. PS3 is dead to us.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
IMO having come from the PS3 and 360 recently, I would highly recommend making the jump now to the next console generation/Steam version if your able to - the lighting is a massive improvement, and the Slim consoles are now competitively priced - it does suck a little about having to repurchase seasons, however there are sales on periodically.

Also, Stern Pinball Arcade (ignoring the UI bugs, once you finally get into the game) runs very well on PS4 & Xbox One, so another added bonus as that's bound to get better as time goes on.

The PS3 is over 10 years old now and I imagine Farsight will soon want to focus on the newer platforms, rather then dedicate their limited resource to the older systems.

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
There are major lighting issues with TPA on PS4 & XB1 including problems with balls being sat in the dark. Check out that strobe light on Cirqus Voltaire for example, enjoy! How cool does the score look in the lower play field of Black Hole? How well do the bumpers light up in Gorgar compared to how they used to look?
And what of the slower ball speed these updated versions now run at which is like a step backwards from how the game used to be as it does not reflect that of the real machines...

Here is one of the latest topics for PS4 full of lighting issues:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/12468-Pinball-Arcade-Version-1-17-Now-live-on-PSN-PS4

jonathan.rowe.75

Nov 5, 2015
I've been playing TPA and Zen (w/ Star Wars and Marvel) for years now. But lately I've been playing these tables on my iPad 2 (iOS 9.3.5) because I have a miniature pinball table Bluetooth Cabinet that used the guts of the iCade. I was pretty disappointed that Marvel Pinball was never updated with new tables but the main Zen was. I know, sorry, Zen is a competition. But I'm totally considering a PC to specifically have TPA and Zen tables (VP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sloppyballs

Feb 4, 2014
That is a positive way to look at it! :)

No_Official statement dated a couple of days ago concerning Season 6: "We are working on releasing PS3 very soon".

Yes. I contacted FS and they said Season 6 would be out soon but I do believe this is the last season for PS3. I just wonder how long they will update PS4's? From what I see is the console world is almost dead compared to Smartphones, tablets and PC's. I would buy a PS4 if I knew for sure they would keep putting out tables for the next few years.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Playstation has a stronger customer base than mobile or PC. I don't think they will stop releasing for this platform. That being said, we know there's always a delay with the releases on consoles and we don't know yet, how long the console life cycle lasts. Based from their history, the PS4 is probably still the newest Playstation for another 3-4 years. And then FarSight won't stop releasing tables, because of the existing playerbase.

Of course, no one can guarantee there will be a season 8+.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Yes. I contacted FS and they said Season 6 would be out soon but I do believe this is the last season for PS3. I just wonder how long they will update PS4's? From what I see is the console world is almost dead compared to Smartphones, tablets and PC's. I would buy a PS4 if I knew for sure they would keep putting out tables for the next few years.

The console world is alive and still kicking with 28+ million Xboxones and 55+million PS4 owners.

It all depends on how many more seasons FS is willing to go.

I upgraded from the PS3 to a PS4 Pro this past Dec and I'm quite happy with it.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
With a one month break on... not certain what, are we looking at a PS3 release on Season 6 by May or June? From the earlier message it sounded like it wouldn't be the whole season yet, but with the delay, is it going to be the whole season? Or are we waiting until late in the year again?

I know not to get my hopes up too high. This is the last season for PS3, presumably.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Are there any updates on:

- Complete Season 6 release date for PS3
- Partial Season 6 release date for PS3
- Any hope on the improvements released for other distributions coming to the PS3 (like challenges)

Thanks.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Hey yespage, the tides have turned and we can consider the PS3 version to be end of life. An update would be a huge fan service but don't count on it.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Are there any updates on:

- Complete Season 6 release date for PS3
- Partial Season 6 release date for PS3
- Any hope on the improvements released for other distributions coming to the PS3 (like challenges)

Thanks.

We currently don't have a release date for Season 6 since it's still currently in development. The update will finish be up to the end of Season 6. Challenges are currently not in, but are going to be put in every season up to season 6.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Hey yespage, the tides have turned and we can consider the PS3 version to be end of life. An update would be a huge fan service but don't count on it.

Yeah, when I see in the latest newsletter: "Black Knight emulation coming soon" but we'll never have it on PS3. :cry:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.