No love for the Playstation

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
For an outsider it's pretty clear that something is going on around the Playstation.

• Releases used to be done 3 times per year. There is only one so far in 2016 and you may ask what has happened. Answer: the new GUI on mobile devices. :(
  • Bugfixes on the PS4 take forever. And we talk about obvious, audible bugs that jump into your face. There is no ownership of problems, someone standing up for the quality and making sure it gets fixed in a timely manner. Why? My guess is money because the development is 100% done by a contractor.
  • Releases are not officially announced in advance anymore, it's now "as soon as possibly". This is not a lie but when you as company know that the release still in development or under testing then it's exactly the kind of screwed marketing that nobody likes. FS wasn't like this before. :(
  • The problems with the season pass entitlements. It can happen once but then you have a checklist to prevent it in future.
Virtual pinball is a niche, with a little effort I could probably meet all players in Austria and Germany in person. ;)

At this point I don't critizise them anymore. The facts speak for themselves and I cannot fool myself and pretend that the cow (console) is still alive. The situation has become comparable to the XBOX.

My expectation how it should be is so different from how it is that it's time to move on.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I have to agree with the lack of updates. The only "alive and kicking" platform coming close to how the PS3 used to be is PC-Steam. Season One you used to have updates every other month or so (2012/2013). If you ask me, it has more to do with the soured relationship with Sony (where SCEE seems to be worse than SCEA). In the past the relationship was excellent with TPA being a PS4 launch title and FS having a space in Sony's booth. Today Sony doesn't seem to be all that interested in TPA, and from previous posts it appears getting the DLC certified takes a very long time and is very costly.

But there isn't much we-the-people can do about this other than abandon the Sony platforms -for TPA- altogether.

You can build/buy a PC that's suitable for TPA for a reasonable amount; get one with HDMI-out so you can connect it the same TV your PS3 is on. The XBox controller is the controller of choice and to get it all started up you can use a wireless keyboard with an integrated touchpad which is really convenient.

For FS it will mean less revenue, at least not considering people like me that have both PS3 and PS4 (= 2 Season Packs, 1 each), which will be over time replaced by STEAM (=1 Season Pack).

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
you kinda have to consider the business modeltoo, farsight relies on quick turn arounds likemost games the majority of sales are made in the first month a the 1-2 tables on offer are the golden carrot, with updates taking months or more on consoles i guess people are even pickier about what they purchase. i hope it all gets resolved guys id have given up already

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
There is only one so far in 2016 and you may ask what has happened.

Sadly true.

I can understand that there is only 1 or 2 updates per year on PS3 now... but an update only adds the missing tables and that's all. NO BUG FIXES, NO PHYSICS 3.0 on older tables, no invert nudge setting, some leaderboards still desynchronized (BH and FH), etc.

With 1 update per year, you could expect that FS includes in the update a little more than only the new table assets...

So now, PS3 version is very far behind the other versions in terms of quality and content. Parity is an old souvenir now.

I planned to purchase the S5 pass, but now, I decided to not do so.

Last edited:

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
As I move onto the PS4, hopefully FS will continue to support that console. Haven't played that much lately on the PS3, and not sure I want to pay for all the back log of tables at this time.

Do play on Steam from time to time, eventhoiugh comp can't play in DX11, also play a bit on mobile as well.

As for now, have a bunch of PS3 games still on backlog, will go through those and let TPA sit for now.
FS will see money out of me when I purchase the PS4.

tomwaits

Feb 8, 2014
Despite the endless delays and bugs, I'll continue to support the PS3/Vita version until they stop releasing tables for those systems. Cross-buy with the portable Vita version makes it a better value than buying separate on console/PC and mobile.

I like having all of the Pinball Arcade tables together and I'm not willing to re-purchase any of it to 'start over' on another platform. I love pinball enough to give Farsight some patience but I'm not going to throw more money to a developer who continues to offer buggy product and nearly abandons older platforms.

Budwin

Mar 26, 2016
Just downloaded an update last weekend and the PS3 locks up after you press the 'X' to start.
The music still plays but the controller does nothing and the system is locked on that screen.
I deleted the game and downloaded the demo install, game forces the same update and the same result after update.
The game CD (Williams Collection) plays fine and Netflix works and so on......
Appears there is nothing wrong with the PS3 itself.
Any Ideas?

Bud

tomwaits

Feb 8, 2014
PS3 update is working fine for me. I have all the tables installed.

Might not make a difference, but have you tried signing out of PSN before launching the game? Press circle to skip out of any in-game prompts to sign in. I know Pinball Arcade checks with PSN to see the available/unpurchased tables if you're signed in and doesn't list them if you stay off from PSN completely.

TBB

Jan 6, 2016
PS3 update is working fine for me. I have all the tables installed.

Might not make a difference, but have you tried signing out of PSN before launching the game? Press circle to skip out of any in-game prompts to sign in. I know Pinball Arcade checks with PSN to see the available/unpurchased tables if you're signed in and doesn't list them if you stay off from PSN completely.

Not sure where I read it, but also try deleting the game data from the folder at the top of the list. Not in front of my ps3 atm (and I didn't need to do it myself) so not sure what the folder is called exactly.

tomwaits

Feb 8, 2014
Despite the endless delays and bugs, I'll continue to support the PS3/Vita version until they stop releasing tables for those systems. Cross-buy with the portable Vita version makes it a better value than buying separate on console/PC and mobile.

Is season 6 still coming to PS3/Vita? Any news on an expected release date?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
To be honest guys, the PS4 is barely supported. I'd give up on PS3/Vita updates. I don't know why FarSight just doesn't announce when they're done with a platform. It's like they're afraid to. I'd chalk it up to a management problem more than a rank and file issue.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
It was confirmed that Season 6 would be released on PS3. It was suspected here that it would be last season. The word from FS was that some Season 6 would be released early 2017.

I'm glad I don't deal with the PS4. It looks like the game is more ambitious on PS4 but lacks support even relative to the PS3. One more season would be nice and they can hang it up then. Clearly they don't have the resources to put this stuff out in a timely manner.

But at least, when they are released after a long wait, they generally work very well (I suppose they should given the time delay). Maybe instead of being upset, we can thank the other platforms for all the "beta testing" they do for the PS3 release. :D

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
From the recent thread dealing with the bugs on the PS4 it seems FS has been a bit more active with some questions being answered.
Recently got a PS4 Pro in Dec and I haven't bought past season 1. I'm waiting for more issues to be addressed and also putting money aside to drop on 5 seasons. Was going to turn my PS3 for the latest tournament seeing it's currently collecting dust.

Hopefully FS will still support the PS3 for people that haven't gone to PS4 as of yet.

Sloppyballs

Feb 4, 2014
It is early 2017 and getting close to mid 2017 and no Season 6 for PS3. I have Seasons 1-5 Pro Pass and now they are just going to put PS3 in the trash. I do not want to buy a PS1 and buy all the Seasons again. I guess my pinball playing is over with. :(

tomwaits

Feb 8, 2014
The first season 5 tables were released on PS4 about a month before the PS3/Vita versions so I'll wait patiently. There's nothing in season 6 that's making it an urgent purchase for me, but if I can eventually add more tables on my PS3/Vita, I'll buy.

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
I'm glad I don't deal with the PS4. It looks like the game is more ambitious on PS4 but lacks support even relative to the PS3. One more season would be nice and they can hang it up then. Clearly they don't have the resources to put this stuff out in a timely manner.

But at least, when they are released after a long wait, they generally work very well (I suppose they should given the time delay). Maybe instead of being upset, we can thank the other platforms for all the "beta testing" they do for the PS3 release. :D

That is a positive way to look at it! :)

Apparently Season 5 was the end for PS3.

No_Official statement dated a couple of days ago concerning Season 6: "We are working on releasing PS3 very soon".

wolfson

May 24, 2013
i use my PS3 as a blue ray player so my dad can watch all his John Wayne movies . and tonight Flatout 4 , can not wait !!! car games galore this year Dirt 4 , Forza 7 , Project Cars 2 , Gran Turismo Sports , Gravel and a couple of others . what a year !!!:cool:

Members online

Members online