Anyone else enjoy TPA on an old CRT?

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
As sad as this might sound I bought the XBOX360 version of TPA along with all the tables TWICE, so it can be played from 2 different XBOX360's.

One machine connected permanently to a HD screen for 720p as you would..., but the second I have wired to an old Toshiba 32" Widescreen CRT using nothing more than an RGB scart lead. :cool:

Those Retro Gamers among you may agree that you don't really need high definition to play Pinball, as if your reading all the text on the table when the ball is whizzing around! What stands out more with a CRT when playing Pinball though are the table lights of course.
An old school CRT offers better luminosity light levels than any flat screen you can buy today so in return for playing it in such a low resolution you have all table lights standing out and glowing as if they are all real. A sight to be hold if your into that typed of thing. ;)

As a retro gamer it's nice to play the game from both sides any way, something the other versions don't offer.
Why I bought the game twice though was because I got fed up swapping the cables over so ended up buying a spare machine. :D

But yeah, I'm happy to play it looking old school as I am via HD, just wished my old 480p Component CRT never died as it would of looked even better than RGB scart ha!

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I have my 360 hooked up to a regular TV. One advantage old-school TV's have is not having to scour the menu to find the game setting to fix flipper lag.

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
The only thing I can honestly say which I'm sure you have seen countless times before like a broken record...

There is no flipper lag when I play the game on my LG LED Full HD Monitor/TV be it 720p, 1080p or VGA 1024x768.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Yeah, my TV for gaming is a 2006 CRT with an HDMI input (Philips 32PW9551)

Supported input resolutions: 1080i, 720p, 576i/p, 480i/p.

Settings of this CRT are hard to adjust (find the good balance between luminosity, contrast and sharpness, is not easy), but once it is done correctly (+ via the hidden factory menu which allows to set geometry, overscan, color temperatures, etc), the image is just awesome, especially the vibrant colors and the deep constrast (thanks to the supported full-range RGB).

Even a LCD or LED screen does not match this quality (I also own a recent 42" LED and a 24" LCD), except obviously the image sharpness which is far better on tiny details.

Unfortunately, TPA on PS3 suffers a terrible lag in 1080 resolution. FS claimed it was caused by the TV rendering, but no, it is a software problem (as my TV is a CRT, so it does not have lag). So, I play in 720p, but the image quality is not the same.

Recently, I tested Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, both on my CRT and on the LED screen. No contest: everything is way more vivid and contrasted on the CRT, with a very little sharpness loss.

Last edited:

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
***In the voice of the Stiff in the Coffin***

VERY NICE!

/end voice

Sorry to hear about the PS3 version.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.