AC/DC Strategy, Tips, and Tricks

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
So, nevermind. I'm seems like the more I play AC/DC, the worse I get. Getting anywhere near my own high score is only about 1% of the time. Side note... has anyone else ht the AC/DC target with the canon multiple times during multiball? It seems to score crazy good points, but I thought the the song bonus was a one n done type of thing. I'm pretty sure it scored 148mil for me the 3rd time (I think during album multiball). Can't remember what song it was. Maybe that had nothing to do with the song bonus? thoughts?

The Song Bonus does not reset when collected during Album and Tour multiball.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Excellent.
Only about 4 months later... I finally had that game where the thumbs where doing something right. Just out of curiosity, how many of you all have made it to encore? That seems to be where a LOT of my score came from. My new strategy has been to use higher scoring songs first. Before it was to use 'you shook me all night long' and Rosie in between those. But go ahead and use up those hell's bells, war machines first. [MENTION=2528]Crooker[/MENTION], I'm calling you out. Only because we had some fun back n forth before. It's not in my nature to talk trash, but it felt right to mention you because no one in real life cares when I tell them I am #1 on a digital pinball app. Where's Tarek on this table? Either way, I'm enjoying this small moment, for the time being.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I've never made to encore. But I'm also not one of the better players. I also struggle with this table, as I do in real life. But I find it super fun anyway.
Congrats Extork

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I've never made to encore. But I'm also not one of the better players. I also struggle with this table, as I do in real life. But I find it super fun anyway.
Congrats Extork

I'm also not calling myself one of the better players. Mr Kolchak, I see you putting up those scores.

With AC/DC, people talk about it being so complicated. As though it might be... all it is is, get into multiball. And keep a close eye on the ball save. Yes, you want to change the song first and the activate the multiball that's best used with it. I cants stress enough about how important VIP passes are. Watch that video up there. It's all about using multiball to blast through a song, and thays all there is to it. You could do it Kolchak. Just loop the ramps if you want jam multiball. You don't have to be an expert

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
And for the love of god, don't brick the left ramp too late. A little too late is death, but this is not breaking news. Just learn how to get in a groove, looping those ramps

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
On the dmd, it might say, 6 more for jam multiball, but those ramps are designed to be one after the other. Don't let the pressure get to you

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Only about 4 months later... I finally had that game where the thumbs where doing something right. Just out of curiosity, how many of you all have made it to encore? That seems to be where a LOT of my score came from. My new strategy has been to use higher scoring songs first. Before it was to use 'you shook me all night long' and Rosie in between those. But go ahead and use up those hell's bells, war machines first. [MENTION=2528]Crooker[/MENTION], I'm calling you out. Only because we had some fun back n forth before. It's not in my nature to talk trash, but it felt right to mention you because no one in real life cares when I tell them I am #1 on a digital pinball app. Where's Tarek on this table? Either way, I'm enjoying this small moment, for the time being.

Nice score man. Have never even come close to the encore yet. Think I was 3 songs away on my best game.
I let this this table go for a while. Was playing Star Trek. But game on man. Now I'm coming for you. Lol.

Pod

Aug 10, 2012
Blimey this is a hard table. Just started this in tpa and can't get very far at all. Managed about 4 songs in one game on android and just 1 on pc so far. Every shot seems to goto the outlanes. Are any nudges effective in saving stuff heading that way?

Also the right loop is such a tight shot which is crazy given how important it is!

ZREXMike2

Oct 22, 2018
Blimey this is a hard table. Just started this in tpa and can't get very far at all. Managed about 4 songs in one game on android and just 1 on pc so far. Every shot seems to goto the outlanes. Are any nudges effective in saving stuff heading that way?

Also the right loop is such a tight shot which is crazy given how important it is!
Agreed, hard table.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013

Nudges are very effective indeed!! Also identify what missed shots and returns send the ball to outlanes and nudge pre-emptively. Like when the ball dribbles down from the pops/bell shot sometimes or an early shot to the right ramp, you need to act early and nudge the ball to a different path.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Nudges are very effective indeed!! Also identify what missed shots and returns send the ball to outlanes and nudge pre-emptively. Like when the ball dribbles down from the pops/bell shot sometimes or an early shot to the right ramp, you need to act early and nudge the ball to a different path.

Definitely agree. Pretty much constant nudging is the only way to get long ball times in this game (as well as Mustang). I really like that, it's more like the way tournament players play, with constant slaps to the side of the machine to keep the ball out of the slings.

That said, even with this, I still have rarely completed more than 4 songs.

This and Mustang are two of my favorite TPA tables, they really did a nice job.

Pod

Aug 10, 2012
Definitely agree. Pretty much constant nudging is the only way to get long ball times in this game (as well as Mustang). I really like that, it's more like the way tournament players play, with constant slaps to the side of the machine to keep the ball out of the slings.

That said, even with this, I still have rarely completed more than 4 songs.

This and Mustang are two of my favorite TPA tables, they really did a nice job.

OK. I'm doing a bit better now. Had a good game last night on android where I finished 8 songs and got both eb's.
My strat is to just do nothing but loop the ramps until MB starts or the jukebox is lit. Works very well.
I've also now done 2 wizard goals (triple jackpot and 3x scoring).
Does anyone have a good strat for the 75m song jackpot? Is it awarded if you get the jackpot to 25m and collect it while triple scoring is active? What's the easiest way to build it quickly?

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Thunderstruck is a pretty good mode to stack with song multiball. Hells bells isn't too bad either if you like to shoot the bell a lot during multiball. Yes 3x scoring applies. Be careful not to collect song jackpot too early as it resets the jackpot value (unless you collect it by collecting the regular tour or album jackpot that corresponds to the current song). If that makes sense :D

Last edited:

Pod

Aug 10, 2012
Thunderstruck is a pretty good mode to stack with song multiball. Hells bells isn't too bad either if you like to shoot the bell a lot during multiball. Yes 3x scoring applies. Be careful not to collect song jackpot too early as it resets the jackpot value (unless you collect it by collecting the regular tour or album jackpot that corresponds to the current song). If that makes sense :D

Wow yeah. That's fantastic. Got it to 68M on my first try but lost it before I could load the Cannon. I tried to enable double scoring at 40 ish but 3 hits didn't do anything, maybe it was already enabled? I need to read the rules again to see if there's a playfield indicator. Wouldn't have mattered I started the next multiball after that which lead to the 68m so never got it into the Cannon anyway

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Another video that helped me was Keith Elwin's pinball with the pros. The dude he was teaching wasn't doing too bad, but you can see Keith face palming while watching him miss a shot or something. My main take-away from that video was knowing exactly which song to choose next. But I gotta tell ya, it's been a while since I've gotten a good score on this table. Maybe I should try harder. Sup Switch?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I found Bowen's AC/DC video helpful, especially if you're going for the Songs. Multiball is the key there. This is one of those tables where you want to be in multiball as much as possible.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
+1 for Pinball with the Pros - that was a great series while it lasted. He only did a few tables, but three of them happen to be ones that are in SPA (AC/DC, Mustang and Star Trek). The level of strategy you get in these videos is above anything else. I didn't really understand the way the Captain's Chair and Level 1-3 worked on the Star Trek modes pyramid until after watching this.

Hopefully Coast to Coast Pinball will resurrect this series in the future, it would be super cool to see more episodes.

Noah

Mar 15, 2019
Does anyone have a good strategy to get the extra ball? I've failed multiple times and it's getting on my nerves.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.