Android - Bug Galaxy Nexus // Jelly Bean - Performance and Sound

hansolde

Jul 15, 2012
Hi Guys.

Everything was pretty fine under ICS, but with Jelly Bean I have a serious performance / sound issue. The sound keeps dropping and stutters.

Reinstalling and deleting cache did NOT help.

Can someone with a Jelly Bean device please check this?

Best regards

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like a driver issue, was this an official release, ie did you put JB on your phone manually or was this an update from your carrier? Unfortunately, it is not unusual for firmware and or os updates to break drivers and cause issues, a little googling can show whether or not the update is causing issues with the hardware.

hansolde

Jul 15, 2012
Hi.

It's the official OTA update from google, not a carrier one. They should know, how to handle their phone. Jelly Bean supposedly changed a lot in terms of audio processing. Did you test it on a native JB device like the Nexus?

hansolde

Jul 15, 2012
The stuttering performance of the table disappers completely, when you disable the sound from within pinball arcade. So it's indeed something broken with the audio...

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Well one of their devs said the following "we've reduced the size of audio buffers for JB so one has to make sure the audio threads are getting high enough priority " so that makes sense. Hopefully we can stomp this one for the next release.

hansolde

Jul 15, 2012
That sounds good. So it's indeed not my fault but rather a JB one. ;)

Looking forward to an update for this excellent app!

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Yup not your fault at all =) I blame Google for not warning us ;) Anyhow, I will be looking into that along with some other JellyBean bugs so stay tuned for an update at the end of this week or early next depending on testing. Actually stay tuned here too, I will most likely be posting a Beta build for all you Droid heads to take a look at!

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
hard to tell yet but its possible that your phone might have a similar issue with thread priority regarding the sound thread

Lowrent

Jul 19, 2012
I have a Galaxy Nexus and installed the JB update on it.
I get the stuttering audio problem too.

BUT, yesterday night, I decided to launch the game after a 2 day break (because of the bug) and the audio was perfect !

And this morning, the bug is back...

Really strange behavior.

Lowrent

Jul 19, 2012
Anything new about this ?

I still can play a couple of games with normal sound every 2 days or so.
Sometimes the sound is ok when I wake up in the morning. It can be in the evening too.

I tried restarting the app, playing with the phone settings, rebooting, having few apps running, MANY apps running...
Can't find the magic thing that makes the app work sometimes.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
ok, update on this, i had to root our nexus since it was a gift from google and off the grid, jelly bean is on and I do indeed hear the stutter. Just to be clear though I am not seeing (yet) any performance drop though, just the sound buffer is not getting updated fast enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.