Hardware Recommendations (Best TPA platforms, devices, tablets, etc)

Nov 18, 2016
It's time for me to get new stuff. And I've decided to favor TPA in my buying decisions. Currently, I have an Android phone with TPA, a Mac, and a plasma HDTV. All are not the latest thing. Going forward, I want the best platform/system and the best device for playing TPA.

Particularly, I think I want to finally upgrade to some kind of tablet, as it seems the ideal device for convenient large size portrait gameplay around the house and on the go. Is iPad better or do you prefer another? In terms of memory, speed, brand, color, battery life, bells, whistles, whatever, what is the perfect TPA tablet to get?

Or do you think I should go in a different direction that a tablet? Fire away! Recommend stuff! :)

And, since I'll need to upgrade my phone anyway (not necessarily sticking with Android) what's the best TPA phone and service?

I figured this could be a catch-all TPA hardware recommendations thread. Hope that's okay.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
It's not a new release device, but I'd still highly recommend the Nvidia Shield K1 and grab the Shield Controller to go with.

Despite being a few years old, it's still a really powerful tablet for graphics intensive games. The controller is a really nice piece of hardware with built in touch mapping for games without controller support, and being Android 6.0.1 you're existing purchases will be available for TPA. You can also directly plug the tablet into a TV via the hdmi out port if you want a large screen experience. And the best bit, because it's into its third year of supply, they're cheap. £169.99 new in the UK, with an additional £59.99 for the controller, and you'll probably want a micro sd card for a tenner too.

I've had mine for 12 months and am really pleased with it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Hands-down the best device for playing TPA is a gaming-quality PC. Doesn't have to be super-specced, but don't skimp either. A recent-generation mid-range GPU (GTX 950/960, 1050/1060, or the AMD equivalents), and a decent i5 processor.

Platform-wise, Android and Steam typically get updates fastest.

Of course a PC isn't portable, so if you want portable, get an Android tablet.

As mentioned, the Shield K1 is still the Holy Grail for Android gaming, so if you can find one, jump on it. Failing that, Sony Xperia tablets are good, but pricey.

As far as 'phones go, right now you could do a lot worse than a Google Pixel.

Avoid Samsung devices, they're overly bloaty and don't get updates pushed to them nearly soon enough. Also they moved their tablet lineup to 4:3 from 16:9 and often TPA doesn't always play nice with 16:9.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
If you want a tablet, stick to the Android platform. You're already in their ecosystem and you don't want to buy your tables again. And since Android is Google, it's a good bet the platform will be around for a long time. PC is my personal favorite, and there's no reason why, other than financial, you can't own both. That's just my opinion on platforms. In terms of hardware, I defer to the fine folks around here.

Nov 18, 2016
Although a mobile screen has never been the idea size for TPA, I've enjoyed playing pinball on my Galaxy S4. But I crave the realistic, dramatic lighting I am seeing in TPA YouTube videos. Will I get that level of graphics ability with an Android tablet?

Thanks for the great responses. I was surprised there wasn't already a thread like this.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Right now Android (and iOS) don't support the kind of dynamic lighting available on PC and current-gen consoles.

I would never recommend getting TPA on a console, since patching, support, and table releases are not frequent.

So right now if you want the lighting effects, get it on PC. Note that if you're using a PC connected to a TV, take care with your HDMI cables - a poor-quality cable will cause problems.

chiliace

Aug 15, 2012
My recommendation is iPad Pro, 12 inch variety. ( actually it's closer to 13"). Large screen, great quality,and something I assume you cannot get with a PC, namely the ability manipulate the device to facilitate the nudge feature. This is a great advantage. With the device placed on my lap, aided support provided by a padded cigar box, I can get my whole body into the action. Works for me. This is in response to-QuickAceItsA2ndChance

Last edited:

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
My recommendation is iPad Pro, 12 inch variety. ( actually it's closer to 13"). Large screen, great quality,and something I assume you cannot get with a PC, namely the ability manipulate the device to facilitate the nudge feature. This is a great advantage. With the device placed on my lap, aided support provided by a padded cigar box, I can get my whole body into the action. Works for me. This is in response to-QuickAceItsA2ndChance
did you hear about gamepads with analog sticks on pc? - this thing give soooooo much advantage with nudging and comfort play in TPA

Rage

Apr 25, 2017
Right now Android (and iOS) don't support the kind of dynamic lighting available on PC and current-gen consoles.

I would never recommend getting TPA on a console, since patching, support, and table releases are not frequent.

So right now if you want the lighting effects, get it on PC. Note that if you're using a PC connected to a TV, take care with your HDMI cables - a poor-quality cable will cause problems.
With the TPA not monthly anymore, and with Tom doing a great job, The PS4 version is good again.

Members online

Members online