[Star Trek] Tips and Strategies

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
I find that going for the away mission during the nero mission isn't beneficial for me. its much easier for me to complete the shots, instead of going for the mini targets on the playfield. but that's just me.

it might be good to time out some modes to reach the wizard modes, but that's not me, im not a stop and go player.

learn that warp/ramp shot.

use your backhands ,both flippers are able to backhand.

time your multiballs where they are bennificial to your current situation.use those smart bombs.

the outlanes aren't hungry, don't fear them as much as other tables.

increase that spinner value by lighting up the trek inlane/outlane lights

dead flipper pass often.

I love this table. its fun and fast.

Last edited:

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
it might be good to time out some modes to reach the wizard modes, but that's not me, im not a stop and go player.
That's a terrible idea. You get a lot more points the more medals you get when you reach one of the 3 Wizard Modes, so the best strategy is always going for a Gold Medal.

Stacking modes with multiballs really does help completing them; they can be quite difficult when you get to Tier 3 before 5 Year Mission.And don't forgot to line them up for one of the Super Modes.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Some Tier 1 modes, it's best to go for Away Mission as soon as you can. Others, you are better off waiting. I believe in Space Jump, if you go for Away Mission right away, you can't get a Gold Medal in Tier 1!

Multiballs in Star Trek aren't as common as in, say, AC/DC, so while it's preferable to stack modes with multiballs, that's not always going to be possible. The only drawback is that when in a multiball, it becomes harder to track what shots you still need for the mission. Stacking Klingon Multiball with Klingon Battle is a prime example, because they both use red LEDs!

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Some Tier 1 modes, it's best to go for Away Mission as soon as you can. Others, you are better off waiting. I believe in Space Jump, if you go for Away Mission right away, you can't get a Gold Medal in Tier 1!

Multiballs in Star Trek aren't as common as in, say, AC/DC, so while it's preferable to stack modes with multiballs, that's not always going to be possible. The only drawback is that when in a multiball, it becomes harder to track what shots you still need for the mission. Stacking Klingon Multiball with Klingon Battle is a prime example, because they both use red LEDs!

For the away mission with space jump it is one shot to the vengeance and it awards the next medal and it's over and done. So avoid away mission until you have acquired at least the silver medal - then you will be awarded a gold. Kind of an important and not obvious detail...

For stacking - I only stack the Klingon and first vengeance MultiBall with a mode. The second and third vengeance MultiBall requires just the vengeance shot and so you can't really go for mode shots or you'll miss out on an extra ball and lots of points respectively.

edit: second and third vengeance modes (scoring and battle) are NOT multiballs - but are stackable with the regular modes - which I still avoid...

Last edited:

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
I've been looking for a rule sheet, but there doesn't seem to be one. I did find this tutorial video on the PAPA website, done by Bowen Kerins. Very good as usual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYZuLK6ShUk&feature=youtu.be

I watched only the first 15mins or so, but that alone helped immensely.

Note that video was made before the introduction of medals, so a lot has changed. Changelog can be found at
http://www.sternpinball.com/games/star-trek/pre
(Game Code -> Readme)

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Note that video was made before the introduction of medals, so a lot has changed. Changelog can be found at
http://www.sternpinball.com/games/star-trek/pre
(Game Code -> Readme)

interesting in the v1.60 changelog
4. Fix - Extra Ball was not being awarded during victory laps.

I am assuming this after the you destroy the vengeance during vengeance multiball and still have multiball going.
Anyone ever earn an extra ball this way IRL or SPA? and if so how many victory laps does it take?

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
That's a terrible idea. You get a lot more points the more medals you get when you reach one of the 3 Wizard Modes, so the best strategy is always going for a Gold Medal.

I was talking about getting to the final wizard mode (five year mission) not points.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I was talking about getting to the final wizard mode (five year mission) not points.
Oh sure, if getting the Wizard Goal is the only thing you want, you technically could.

But where's the fun in that? Why not get a high score while at it? :D

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
By far the most important thing IMHO to learn is how to quickly advance to Vengeance Scoring, the second of three Vengeance modes. This is a hurry-up of 5 shots and if you complete it, it awards an extra ball. As far as I have seen in the game, it's the only repeatable EB because you can repeat the modes. The other EB comes from Warp 7, and that is not repeatable (aside from being hard to reach again, that's 7 Warp ramps to get there, and an additional 18 to get to another EB if it were available). This also means that it pays off to be stingy with torpedoes because they are the main way to get access to Vengeance modes aside from direct hits to the Vengeance target. Playing Vengeance modes is not as hard as it seems at first, I found that keeping my flippers up when it shoots back at you often produce controllable balls. Doing that during the MB is more difficult offcourse, there you probably should take advantage of the ball saver time to hit as many Vengeance shots you can. Don't forget about the ramps too, they sometimes light to also do damage to Vengeance.
The one thing to take away from Bowen's video I think, is that a lot of valuable shots become even more valuable if you combo them with another shot beforehand.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
The one thing to take away from Bowen's video I think, is that a lot of valuable shots become even more valuable if you combo them with another shot beforehand.

When you are playing the modes it pays off to combo all your shots if you can. Doubles the value of all the shots. And I believe the combos are all the same...ie if you shoot the Alpha ramp, then the combo shot(s) is the same no matter the mode.

Also...warp ramp isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. So EB at 8(?) but also, it turns on double scoring at 9.1 which lasts a whole 60 seconds, so it's a good strategic choice to start a mode with multiball at the same time.

Last edited:

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012

I'm confused by the Away Team. It gives you 20 secs more, and the instructions say it awards the next tier medal. But the DMD indicates a shot (ie: Alpha Ramp) to make. Do you need to make the shot to get the medal, or is it something else?

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
When you are playing the modes it pays off to combo all your shots if you can. Doubles the value of all the shots. And I believe the combos are all the same...ie if you shoot the Alpha ramp, then the combo shot(s) is the same no matter the mode.

Also...warp ramp isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. So EB at 8(?) but also, it turns on double scoring at 9.1 which lasts a whole 60 seconds, so it's a good strategic choice to start a mode with multiball at the same time.
extra ball at 7, and yes double scoring at 9.1. yesterday I was able to start a wizard mode right after I enabled double scoring, but I wasn't sure if it doubled all my medal achievments. it didn't appear to, (ten mil for a full complement of bronze medals..ect) but at the end of the tally of my medals it did award me 90 million, so it may have doubled it. ill try again and pay closer attention.

edit : I just entered the 1st wiz mode without double scoring again and it did not reweard 90million this time, a lil less than half of that (35 mil) so last time I was awarded double scoring but the dmd didn't display it until the end of the final tally.

Last edited:

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
my 1st advice may be bad advice after all.(timing out the modes) the first modes are fairly easy. I don't think you can time out the later missions (level 2? maybe 3?) they make you complete them.

Last edited:

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
I discovered a useful glitch last night. at least I think its a glitch, ive never played star trek IRL. on ps4,not sure about other platforms, during multiball if you make a shot into the away mission, hit the x button (smart bomb) before it auto launches and the ball will remain in the plunger lane until you launch it manually.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
I discovered a useful glitch last night. at least I think its a glitch, ive never played star trek IRL. on ps4,not sure about other platforms, during multiball if you make a shot into the away mission, hit the x button (smart bomb) before it auto launches and the ball will remain in the plunger lane until you launch it manually.

I actually had this happen to me yesterday, but no idea how/why it happened. Must have been the above. Very useful.

Apr 8, 2012
Whatever you do, don't time out Prime Directive II until the next patch for Star Trek arrives.

Is this the only known reason that SPA crashes? It's happened to me about half a dozen times now and I'm pretty sure that I wasn't in Prime Directive II every time. It usually happens once I'm pretty far into the game but, like I said, I doubt that PDII is the cause. I just started playing Star Trek about 3 days ago and needless to say, this is seriously a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.