Table Pack #60 Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Pistol Poker and Mystery Castle are Alvin G games, not Gottliebs/Premiers.

I am well aware. That is why I said Gottlieb realm.
Didn't feel like saying, nonStern, nonWilliams, nonBally, nonCapcom, nonData East, etc. You get the idea.

Last edited:

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
Am I the only one who just hates the Gottlieb flipper angles?! They just feel wrong... way to stop-and-go.

I've been having quite a bit of fun with Al's Garage Band*, and I think that has something to do with it. It's so much easier to gauge/predict shot angles with Bally-Williams flippers (Stern uses these today), or whatever kind Alvin G used...I'd never heard of Alvin G before TPA, so does anyone know if they used original flipper mechs or Bally's? They're definitely not Gottlieb's (I think they were patented anyway).

And I would love to know if a physical Gottlieb game feels better to play if you somehow install Bally flippers. Is that even possible?

*I refuse to call it World Tour, to avoid confusion with World Poker Tour.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I've been having quite a bit of fun with Al's Garage Band*, and I think that has something to do with it. It's so much easier to gauge/predict shot angles with Bally-Williams flippers (Stern uses these today), or whatever kind Alvin G used...I'd never heard of Alvin G before TPA, so does anyone know if they used original flipper mechs or Bally's? They're definitely not Gottlieb's (I think they were patented anyway).

And I would love to know if a physical Gottlieb game feels better to play if you somehow install Bally flippers. Is that even possible?

*I refuse to call it World Tour, to avoid confusion with World Poker Tour.

hazy childhood memory alvin g used wms parts

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
most premier games do need the flippers they came with to play right.

the insta-catch (TM) flippers tend to acutally work better in tournament conditions.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I am well aware. That is why I said Gottlieb realm.
Didn't feel like saying, nonStern, nonWilliams, nonBally, nonCapcom, nonData East, etc. You get the idea.
since it's Alvin Gottlieb's company and Michael Gottlieb designed tables it can be said they are Gottliebs.

They aren't really in the same realm. Alvin G was entirely different from Gottlieb/Premier. They used all their own components and had their own design teams. There's no connection other than Alvin G being founded by the descendants of the guy who started the original Gottlieb company. By the 90s, that company had already been gone for a long time. Premier was just using their name.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
They aren't really in the same realm. Alvin G was entirely different from Gottlieb/Premier. They used all their own components and had their own design teams. There's no connection other than Alvin G being founded by the descendants of the guy who started the original Gottlieb company. By the 90s, that company had already been gone for a long time. Premier was just using their name.
Kolchak just said "Gottlieb realm" - he did not say about premier

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
So are we excited about Cactus Jack's? There always seems to be plenty of requests for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Why is everyone panicing over the wms/bally deal when its done its done, its not a good idea to discuss ongoing deals with the public until the ink is dry. theyll ughhh be back like herpes or t-101!

Ive enjoyed the gottlieb focus this season, granted i could use a couple of classic bally right about now myself!

sometimes the williams fanboi whines can get annoying, all pinball is good to my mind, we really are spoiled for choice with the vast majority of the cream from the 80s/90s , ems are vastly underated for quick games on a lunch break, and as they say variety is the spice of life.

my highlights have probably been the em double pack with nuWHO second.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Why is everyone panicing over the wms/bally deal when its done its done, its not a good idea to discuss ongoing deals with the public until the ink is dry. theyll ughhh be back like herpes or t-101!

How long do you think it takes to draw a contract renewel?

There is no renewel. This is what we are getting. I have a feeling Season 7 will be the last season of TPA and they'll just focus on SPA from there. My dreams of getting digital versions of many passed-over 80s and 90s WMS/Bally tables is dead.

Farsight has done a very poor job of managing the software for TPA across all of its many platforms, largely in part to the amount of platforms it is on. They don't fix bugs in a timely fashion, they always give us new bugs, they're way behind on consoles. XBOX One doesn't even have season six tables.

Seems to me they do not intend to spend money on contracts.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
63394090.jpg

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Following that newsletter/table clue is like the surprise in the cracker jack box. (old man alert)

I keep hoping there's something in there that will surprise me with how awesome it is, even though the limits on my imagination vs what's possible within the packaging aren't even remotely close.

As a result, I'm constantly forgetting to appreciate the stuff that the surprise is buried in because the promise of something new keeps distracting me from enjoying something that's pretty tasty to begin with.

also, bugs ruin both experiences :)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i dunno salted chilli grasshoppers are pretty tastey, for most id recommend a milled flour so that you can make a nice brownie or quickbread, most would enjoy them if ya didnt mention the secret ingredient!

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Wow. they aren't even TRYING with the hints now.

I swear, that one was the second easiest one so far. (the easiest was dr who.)

i destroyed this one in real life when i found it by simply looping the left ramp. the same is likely to work in TPA.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Wow. they aren't even TRYING with the hints now.

I swear, that one was the second easiest one so far. (the easiest was dr who.)

i destroyed this one in real life when i found it by simply looping the left ramp. the same is likely to work in TPA.

Ugh. Premiere games just aren't very interesting in digital form. I think their designs get by IRL because real pinball adds a lot of appeal simply by being physical and kinetic and the real world physics are much more compelling.

I'm actually enjoying Al's Garage Band so far. Kind of easy.

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
Ugh. Premiere games just aren't very interesting in digital form. I think their designs get by IRL because real pinball adds a lot of appeal simply by being physical and kinetic and the real world physics are much more compelling.

I'm actually enjoying Al's Garage Band so far. Kind of easy.

I agree with this. I like Premieres fine IRL. Another reason is that the lumpy, quirky scoring works OK because getting even one or two jackpots is a real achievement. The TPA versions are a grind regardless, as we know, but I just find "how many jackpots can you rack up" an inherently less exciting question than "can you get a couple of jackpots".

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Trust me. premier DMD games in general are just as bad in real life as they are in digital form.

and they are just as bad for the exact same reason.

For example teed off is absolutely as exploitable in real life. In fact it's easier. cue ball wizard is jut as easy in real life. Gladiators is destroyed the same way.

Premier games are all about figuring how to horribly exploit the rules.

The only way to exploit proof tee off is to remove the rubber stoppers at the end of the wireforms. this makes the game challenging.

BBIAJ

Jul 31, 2012
How long do you think it takes to draw a contract renewel?

There is no renewel. This is what we are getting. I have a feeling Season 7 will be the last season of TPA and they'll just focus on SPA from there. My dreams of getting digital versions of many passed-over 80s and 90s WMS/Bally tables is dead.

Farsight has done a very poor job of managing the software for TPA across all of its many platforms, largely in part to the amount of platforms it is on. They don't fix bugs in a timely fashion, they always give us new bugs, they're way behind on consoles. XBOX One doesn't even have season six tables.

Seems to me they do not intend to spend money on contracts.
We don't even have a of Season Five yet on Xbox One.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.