First Reactions

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
Pinball Arcade did a great job in my opinion. I have played this one a lot in real life, it is a fun table and TPA version seems to capture that and work pretty smoothly. It really redeems this season which I have been a bit on the fence about.

It reminds me a bit of Gladiator but much better. It's a really unique layout the rules are interesting as I figure them out. Maybe the best table of the season.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Pinball Arcade did a great job in my opinion. I have played this one a lot in real life, it is a fun table and TPA version seems to capture that and work pretty smoothly. It really redeems this season which I have been a bit on the fence about.

It reminds me a bit of Gladiator but much better. It's a really unique layout the rules are interesting as I figure them out. Maybe the best table of the season.

If it's not another joke of yours, I got to say that I 100% agree with what you wrote about SoF. ;)
I was really waiting for this one and I'm really not disappointed.
Great job Farsight. Really hope we'll get more Bally/Williams very soon.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Fantastic! First table I ever played IRL and they did it great justice. Maybe a touch too easy but that can be said for most of the tables. Very rarely do I get the Wizard Goals on any of the tables but I got them on SoF the first night.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
The wizard goals are way too easy. Finished them all without ever looking to see what they were. That only makes 14 tables that I have finished all the wizard goals on so I am not that good to have finished them on day two. Also, the high score tops off at 9,999,999 I understand that IRL it does but why would TPAs high score list stop at 9,999,999 the have other tables that don't do.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
The wizard goals are way too easy. Finished them all without ever looking to see what they were. That only makes 14 tables that I have finished all the wizard goals on so I am not that good to have finished them on day two. Also, the high score tops off at 9,999,999 I understand that IRL it does but why would TPAs high score list stop at 9,999,999 the have other tables that don't do.

I believe this is how the ROM behaves. At least your true score appears on the leaderboard.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
The behaviour is the same as with High Speed.

Funny though, during the game the score >10m is shown (without the leading 1). The high score table and the alphanumerics show 9,999,999 when displaying the high score in attract mode.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I assume that's because while the game knows you rolled it, since it can't display scores > 9,999,999, it awards that score to anyone who rolls the game for high score purposes. Just a limit of the ROM and display that's impossible to get around.

As for why TPA does this in the local high scores - for ROM-emulated tables that keep high scores, TPA grabs the local high score list from the ROM, and saves that list so that the next time you load the table, it flashes the list into the ROM. It's cyclical... the table can only store up to 9,999,999, so that all that TPA saves, and so on round it goes.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Alright, the reviews from folks that seem to appreciate the same things about video pinball that I do appear to love this dang table. I'll report back after I play a few more games. It can't be as good as you all seem to think. :)

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
There's plenty of other tables I love more than SoF, but for me it's all about nostalgia. First table i ever played IRL (and I played it a ton back then) and then I didn't see it again for 25 years but just too far away to come play it much. A year and change later I get to play it as much as i want!

Anubis

Jun 4, 2016
Just got it. Those right hand shots on upper playfield are tricky and the tunnel shot is tougher than I remember. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If the tunnel shot is too easy, this machine becomes a total turkey shoot.

Love this machine, period. One of my favorites. It actually brought me back to Pinball Arcade after a long absence.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Just got it. Those right hand shots on upper playfield are tricky and the tunnel shot is tougher than I remember. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If the tunnel shot is too easy, this machine becomes a total turkey shoot.

Love this machine, period. One of my favorites. It actually brought me back to Pinball Arcade after a long absence.

If you cradle the ball you can hit those upper playfield right-hand corner shots with some consistency.

MattyLadd

Jul 1, 2015
Soooo, if we can only register 9,999,999; how come the high score is 25M? Is it possible to do this? I'm playing on iOS.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
First FS table I've bought for quite some time. Happy to see this Williams classic. Would still love to see Bad Cats.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.