BlahCade 94: Bit Rot and Bug Fixes

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
http://blahcadepinball.com/2017/04/03/Episode-94-Bit-Rot-and-Bug-Fixes.html

It’s another very tech-focused show again as Chris details the latest happenings in Eight Ball Deluxe ownership. We also help align your expectations about what to expect in FarSight’s Bug Bash 2017^. There are some whisperings of good things to come from Zen as well, but you’ll have to wait and see what develops there.

^ fictitious name created by Jared because it contained pleasing alliteration.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Since you asked for some suggestions for improvement, might I suggest Chris knicks a pair of his wives pantihose and stretch them out over a frame and puts it in front of his mic. Or alternatively buys a pop filter and puts that in front of the mic. Both ways do the trick and makes it not sound like he's lisping. Unless he actually started lisping recently. Then I don't thing the solutions will work :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Since you asked for some suggestions for improvement, might I suggest Chris knicks a pair of his wives pantihose and stretch them out over a frame and puts it in front of his mic. Or alternatively buys a pop filter and puts that in front of the mic. Both ways do the trick and makes it not sound like he's lisping. Unless he actually started lisping recently. Then I don't thing the solutions will work :)
Chris has a boom with a pop filter setup over his Samson. He does speak very close to the pop filter.

Go take a look at our YouTube channel to see what his set up looks like.

My setup is very different, and uses a Samson GoMic Connect with the DSP software about 30cm away from my face. Works a treat.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Oh ok yeah you're right. So maybe just keep in back of mind not to be to close or maybe position it to the side more. The mic has like different setting for omni or cardiod, maybe switch those around or if the level is very low bring that up, I had problems with levels with my samson c01u, but brought the levels upto 90-ish in Audacity (a free DAW program) which seems to stick for other programs, but there are probably other ways to bring em up. Or run the mic through a levels program that brings down the s sounds or something. But just a small suggestion, if you don't have a problem with it then nevermind, but the lisping sounds are quite noticable, just sayin :)

But keep it up, I listen to them all and thanks for yet another entertaining podcast guys! :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Oh ok yeah you're right. So maybe just keep in back of mind not to be to close or maybe position it to the side more. The mic has like different setting for omni or cardiod, maybe switch those around or if the level is very low bring that up, I had problems with levels with my samson c01u, but brought the levels upto 90-ish in Audacity (a free DAW program) which seems to stick for other programs, but there are probably other ways to bring em up. Or run the mic through a levels program that brings down the s sounds or something. But just a small suggestion, if you don't have a problem with it then nevermind, but the lisping sounds are quite noticable, just sayin :)

But keep it up, I listen to them all and thanks for yet another entertaining podcast guys! :)
Thanks for the feedback and for being a long term listener.

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
Just popping in to say I enjoy the podcast and listen to it every Monday at work. Would like to hear more interviews or Q&A's like you used to do with Farsight.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Also the bug fixing farsight supposedly are going to do this month concerning collision detection sounds interesting. If they finally can fix the balls clipping through flippers I will be very happy, it sucks and has caused me lots of frustration. I mean a ball going right through the flipper, in a pinball game. It's ridiculous.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I couldn't be happier to hear that we will be getting some physics updates for seasons 1&2 - upping the challenge on the older tables would be awesome. Especially the "top 10" classic but really TPA-floaty or railroad-heavy tables like CFtBL, MM, CV, Fun House - making those less predictable and more challenging would really reinvigorate them. I'm looking forward to it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Please. Fix. Left. Ramp. In. CFTBL.

Every physical CFTBL I've played, this ramp is a monster. Getting a clean shot on this ramp requires effort and accuracy. Missing it should be dangerous. I think the main problem is table rake... it needs to be a bit steeper so the ball comes down to the whirlpool with more speed in multiball, thus checking off 3-4 CREATURE letters instead of the current 2-3.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Just popping in to say I enjoy the podcast and listen to it every Monday at work. Would like to hear more interviews or Q&A's like you used to do with Farsight.
Thanks for the feedback. We try to get these, but the folks that used to be available just don't have the time and more.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think you will be happy with the work Rob has been doing with tuning. I'm certainly pretty impressed.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'll stress this again: don't expect all earlier tables to receive attention. Put it this way: FarSight knows the tables that are problematic. 😉

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I heard something about re-doing backglasses? I guess that's an easy win because you can do that without dismantling the tables. Except we very rarely see the backglasses :( CV would be an obvious one to do since we do see it more often thanks to the cannon. HRC, Cyclone, Safe Cracker, and Hurricane were all done with the "new" high-res equipment so don't really need the work. Anything else from S1/S2 that has backglass action?

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I heard something about re-doing backglasses? I guess that's an easy win because you can do that without dismantling the tables. Except we very rarely see the backglasses :( CV would be an obvious one to do since we do see it more often thanks to the cannon. HRC, Cyclone, Safe Cracker, and Hurricane were all done with the "new" high-res equipment so don't really need the work. Anything else from S1/S2 that has backglass action?

You don't see it during gameplay, but Black Hole should move in circles, which we would be able to see in attract mode.

I think Taxi goes to the backglass when you get a joyride.

Scared Stiff - spider hole

Lights Camera Action

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Think about how good quality backglass renders would fit into the public product brief for Arcooda Pinball Arcade...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts