Pinball Arcade and 4k

Jay

May 19, 2012
I just got a 4k monitor for my 2013 Mac Pro. (I previously had a 1080p.) All versions of TPA now run in slow motion, regardless of the settings. Interestingly, the gameplay in Steam (both natively on the Mac and virtually through Windows) runs smoother than the Mac app version, which tends to be choppier.

I'm currently running the monitor off the MP's HDMI port into the monitor's HDMI input. I've read that makes the monitor run at 30 fps. I ordered a Display Port cable that should be arriving tomorrow, and I'm hoping that might help correct things.

Overall, I've found that some games are running slow or choppy but others are running fine. One that surprised me was Trains: A New Era, which is an incredible resource hog and barely ran well in 1080p. But it runs smoothly on my 4k monitor.

BTW, one other thing: the menu system now shows all of the backglass icons cut in half, with only the right half showing.

Last edited:

lio

Jul 24, 2013
All depends on the supported version of the output/input.
HDMI can do 60hz 4K as well in 2.0+.
Display Port has been capable of this since 1.2, I believe (at least my old GTX 670 had no issues).
I guess you currently have v-sync enabled and hence the "slow motion" on TPA as it is designed for 60 FPS.

Last edited:

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
I have the same menu issue with my 2k iMac - I just figured we're eventually getting new menus (eventually... maybe...) and it doesn't really effect game play

Hmmmm - will have to check out Trains: A New Era, looks like fun :)

Jay

May 19, 2012
I solved my problem. I just got a Display Port cable and hooked that up to the monitor instead of the HDMI cable. Everything works fine now. Unfortunately, the intermittent slow-down is still present. But outside of that, the gameplay is smooth and the tables look fantastic.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.