Paragon - first impressions

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Got to say that I'm loving this table.
When first announced, I was a little bit "meh" having never encountered the real thing.

But it's really blown me away with some of its design aspects.
Firstly, the four flipper variant that we have just completely messes with your traditional Pinball thinking. I've had to reprogram some of my muscle memory reactions, due to the rh dual flipper design.
Its often safer not to flip and allow a bounce pass from a shot of speed towards the right flippers due to the gap between the two when upheld Then secondly the speed of play around the lower flippers can be borderline psychotic, this being due to rebounds from the lh inlane gate, or from the tip of the upper rh flipper on that side when right flippers are lying flat.
Then add in that you can't cradle on the right with the 4 flipper version. (more reaction reprogramming).
Then the non symmetrical layout, and man this table really makes me have to think, work hard and nudge like crazy.

Despite loving this thing, (it's made it into my favourites list already) , I'm appallingly bad at this one, with some brutally short low score games, but then just occasionally I'll get in the flow. It's a damned sight easier with a controller than touch nudging.

So far my shot priorities are...
Complete the valley of demons. (that's pretty much it).
If cradling on the upper rh flipper, I've been tending to try and use the upper rh flipper for shots, as rolling down to the lower right doesn't feel as accurate.

If cradling on the left, I tend to bank off the waterfall drop targets, as this usually results in a bonus paragon letter from the saucer too.
I've tried post passing from cradled left, to right, but it feels dangerous with the following results.
Fast post passes, cause a roll up the left inlane rebound off the gate, tip pass off an upheld left flipper and with no guarantee on the speed of the pass, either result in a rebound off the rh flipper tip or don't make it across.
It feels safer to bank off the waterfall drops than post pass to me (playing on Android).
Slow or slower post passes from the left are unreliable and either go vertical up the table, or weakly cross over with an awkward rebound off the rh upper flipper tip giving a panic reaction.

Awesome design to get you out of your comfort zone.

Any tips anyone has would be much appreciated.

Cheers Heretic for pushing for this one.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Great post, completely agree, no tips yet, watch Bowen Kerrins tackle this table at PAPA (not sure if his tricks work, but great view anyway)

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
My only complaint with the table is that the sounds don't conform exactly to the real table. We are fortunate enough to have access to a real Paragon table at a place about 20 miles from my house. The real table makes sounds when the start button is pressed; and has more sounds than depicted in the simulation whenever a "Paragon" light is obtained. Also, on the real table the operator has it (thankfully) set to a 5 ball game.

Other than that, the table plays *very close* to the real deal. And, for all I know, the sounds can be adjusted in the "Pro" menu. (I didn't purchase the Pro Pack).

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
My only complaint with the table is that the sounds don't sound like the real table. We are fortunate enough to have access to a real Paragon table at a place about 20 miles from my house. The real table makes sounds when a the start button is pressed, and has more sounds than depicted in the simulation whenever a "Paragon" light is obtained. Also, on the real table the operator has it (thankfully) set to a 5 ball game.

Other than that, the table plays *very close* to the real deal. And, for all I know, the sounds can be adjusted in the "Pro" menu. (I didn't purchase the Pro Pack).
Yeah - the initial beta was set to default to a 5 ball game, then the release version switched to a 3 ball with no option to change in game setup. Guessing this is a bug.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Yeah - the initial beta was set to default to a 5 ball game, then the release version switched to a 3 ball with no option to change in game setup. Guessing this is a bug.

I found it odd as well. Not having a choice between 3 and 5-ball play is understandable - unlike tables like Big Shot and Genie, the scoring stays the same whether it's 3 or 5-ball, so why ever play 3 balls?

What I don't get is the choice to go with 3-ball when every Paragon I've ever played was set to 5 balls.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I recall the Paragon I used to play being set to three ball. I rarely played it as the games were so short. But I don't have a clue what is the standard setting is.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
Playing Tips

Spelling PARAGON is fun, but the other saucers are worth a lot more points. The Golden Cliffs Saucer (left of the Paragon saucer) gives you increasing points every time the you land in it. You can adjust the plunger to be more likely to land in it. Nudging will help, too.

Paragon has the classic Bally Super Bonus (auto-bonus hold at 20, 30 and 40,000,) so increasing the bonus early and often is wise. One way to increment the bonus is to hit those inline Drop Targets in the Valley of Demons. They also get you to bonus multipliers and eventually to the Treasure Chamber Saucer. The saucer gives you 5x bonus the first time you manage to get the ball all the way up. Hint: When your ball falls back, just hold up the upper flipper. The ball will go straight to the far right flipper (where you can safely cradle it.) You can immediately take another shot at the Valley. The second time up there is an extra ball.

When you have the ball on the left flipper, aim for the Waterfall Drop Targets. They increase in value each time they are completed. As I recall, completing them (once, twice??) lights advance bonus for passing through the Waterfall itself.

The Paragon Saucer does increment the bonus. Timing your plunge to get the letter you want (yes, it can be done) is fun. The bumpers and spinner are essentially worthless. A hard shot at the spinner will go through the Waterfall (not a bad idea when it is lit for advance bonus.) Don't shoot at the bright red Advance Bonus button in the center. It's SDTM bait, of course.

The Beast Lair should be avoided, naturally. You can sometimes nudge the ball to either bounce back the way it came or return to the left flipper (one-way gate.) The upper flipper can be used to shoot at the Waterfall targets, but use caution. There is an outlane on the right. It is usually safer to use the flipper as a standing wedge to divert the ball to the right flipper(s).

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
The option to set Paragon to 5 balls is included in the operator mode in Pro. Honestly, I can see why they went with 3 ball rather than 5. The maximum score is way too low, and keeping the ball count to three means fewer people hit it.

There are no sound options there though, the rest of the dip settings revolve around scoring or specials/extra balls.

I like this table a lot more than I was expecting to. Quick ball times leave me itching for another game after finishing. I could see this getting boring once I get better at keeping the ball alive, but for now this is the best release in months.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I'm holding off playing it until my iPaddy issues are sorted don't wanna ruin the experience...I've waited this long so fingers crossed it'll be sorted with some daft iOS update, if it wasn't for my investment in the AppStore I'd have returned it for a half decent android tbh but anyway...

Glad you folks are enjoying it, and always happy to see a new convert for a 39 yr old game;), tho that rollover needs corrected right of the bat

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'm very surprised at how much more I like this than Swords of Fury. I was looking forward to SoF until I played it. It got so boring so fast, but this thing, I keep replaying it over and over. It may be the sound fx.

JefferyD

May 10, 2013
I usually wait for the season to end before buying the whole iOS bundle but, after a few fun and brutally short sample games of Paragon, I couldn’t wait until 2018 or whatever. Completely enjoying it. Cracks me up how I can get 300,000 one game and the next one puts me in the dirt for 9,000. Also, I can be having what i think is a great game, but when the dust settles I’ve got about 70,000 and change. I’m a fairly strict no-extra-balls kind of player but a standard five ball game would be good for this one.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Thx Hairy, for requesting it so much. It's an awesome table. Played it once irl, but only for a minute. Before they added it I would've thought I'd like Embryon more. But I didn't vote. Just like irl.

Also I'm pissed that I got 997k but it didn't take. Damn wifi

Anubis

Jun 4, 2016
OK, here is my take... (Keep in mind, I'm playing iOS on iPad)

My problem is not that it is "hard". My problem is that everything is so random there is virtually no point to it. I don't know how much of that is true IRL versus this re-creation. My issue is not with the table design. It looks cool and "should" be good. But, there is literally no point to any shot I make. The same shot can result in a saucer hit or miss the saucer and go SDTM.

A hard machine is fine if I can see a path to playing better, as Bonehead from NF would say. But, in its current form on iOS, I can't.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I'm very surprised at how much more I like this than Swords of Fury. I was looking forward to SoF until I played it. It got so boring so fast, but this thing, I keep replaying it over and over. It may be the sound fx.

I totally agree with this - I thought SoF was going to be so good, but it's just not that interesting, and I think the tuning is a little funky (on Android), it's really hard to hit the right ramp from a trap due to railroads and there's a lot of flailing around with the upper middle flipper.

Paragon, though, is exactly what I look for in a TPA table - quick ball times, rewards good nudging, gets the adrenaline going, lots to do and aim for and interesting but eventually achievable wizard goals.

karl

May 10, 2012
I think this is a very good representation of the real thing, and they nailed the graphics.

My only beef with it is the speed. For me, this is even harder than the real thing, and that says a lot when Paragon is the machine we're talking about.

Perhaps this is a good thing because it still keeps me coming back for more punishment, just like it is supposed to.

Love it!!!

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Did anyone else notice that, while the playfield is sharp as a tack, the apron is a blurry mess?
Never noticed till you said it.
I'll put a post in the test group for you.

The 'special' lamp near the waterfall isn't red in TPA, but I've given up on that one.

Members online

Members online