Thoughts on Wipeout?

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Seems like Farsight is doing a better job with tuning on more recent tables. I like the way the elasticity of flipper rubbers is set on this one, for example.

Still -- FS you need BALLSPIN in your physics engine. Without it, tables still feel like pong. Too linear.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
This is my favorite Gottlieb table and my 3rd all time favorite pinball machine. I played this table a lot in RL in the past. It never got old for me. I really like its charm.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I keep wondering if the skiing dude is calling me a psychopath for what I'm doing or if I'm skiing down a "psycho path", i.e. a really crazy run that a normal skier would not attempt. I have no idea why I keep contemplating this while playing.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
I keep wondering if the skiing dude is calling me a psychopath for what I'm doing or if I'm skiing down a "psycho path", i.e. a really crazy run that a normal skier would not attempt.
The latter. The full line is, "Woe! This is the Psycho Path."

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I was going to make a joke about toilet paper. It's the better wipeout etc. etc. but I'm actually enjoying this one. How are you guys not seeing the bugs though? I've had about 5 times a left flip is a ball right through the flipper. Not even during multiball. I've had several times the gate won't go down for slalom. Lost balls. But sure. Good job FS.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
How are you guys not seeing the bugs though? I've had about 5 times a left flip is a ball right through the flipper. Not even during multiball. I've had several times the gate won't go down for slalom. Lost balls. But sure. Good job FS.
The bug(s) is probably platform specific. I'm playing the PC version and I haven't run into any noticeable bugs yet.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
Hi, my name is EF and I'll be providing your negativity today; if there's anything you need, just ask.

Nah. It's not that bad. But my first thought was "OMG another one of those fugly Gottlieb tables from the 90s." I dislike all kinds of things about their tables of this era, even tiny things like their font choices in the DMDs in the period. (The DMD work on this one is especially cheesy.) I'm one of those people who questions the wisdom of porting any Gottlieb tables from the solid-state era onward as long as there are still unported Williams tables out there.

Go ahead, fight me, I can take it.

Anyway, it's fun but really hard to aim shots for some reason. I got all but one of the standard goals in my first game. I'll be working on the last of those goals (the five million pump shot) for weeks, simply because I can't manage to hit that ramp three times in a row.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
It is better than most Gottlieb's that are in TPA. Not a very deep ruleset, but fun to play for a while.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
It's better than I expected-one of the more solid Premiers yet. Call-outs are repetitive but I love the one "see that ski pole-I'll shove it up your "beep".

Premier seemed to be at their prime in that time-Gladiators was well done, Big Hurt was enjoyable, and Stargate was their best effort IMO.

Although R911 was also done at this time-not well designed IMO.

Phil_194

Jul 9, 2017
I can't remember what I thought of the physics on Wipe Out, not sure if that differs between versions, but the table plays really really well on my Fire 8" tablet, just didn't seem as fun when played on the television with an amazon controller on Fire Stick. The more I play the more sensitive I become to the accuracy of the physics, this will make or brake the emulated table for me now that I understand this.

The DMD animations made me cringe a little at times but that's definitely not a criticism. If I had to be critical I would say that the table feels a bit repetitive but that's fairly understandable to me because it was one of the early DMD machines (I own a Hurricane and have seen that these particular tables became more varied as the years went by).

I couldn't tell you if it's any good from a competitive angle, but I did see what appeared to me as like a mystery mode. Mystery awards can vary from pin to pin, and I'm not sure what the popular opinion is on what makes a pinball an excellent choice for competitive or tournament play. I wouldn't really know what to look for personally, I pay barely any attention at all to scoring but I understand it's an important part of the game, of the highest importance actually. Let's just say I don't do well with numbers.

The sights and sounds are pretty good making for a decent table. If the greatest pinball in history was worth ten points, then I would give this table a seven out of ten by comparison.

Members online

Members online