Season 7 (7.2.0) First impressions

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
So I just downloaded the App Store Version of TPA 7.2.0 this morning, and wanted to share some first impressions.

For the record, I had also just recently acquired 7.1.0, but since it had been delayed, and 7.2.0 had recently just been announced, I thought I'd wait until 7.2.0 to start this thread...

• Customizable controls! It's been a long time coming, and it's finally here! This is significant not only due to the ability to map controls to user-definable keys, but also because is now presents a clearer definition as to what those controls can be! I don't yet have any real opinions as to how (if at all) this will enhance the overall user experience (time will tell, after all), but the simple fact that this is now a valid option is a welcome change indeed! Thank you to all involved!:D (one question, though - Is there any real difference between nudge up/nudge down, and nudge left/nudge right?)

• Improved frame-rate (?) Is it just my perception, or is the overall animation somehow smoother? Has the overall physics engine been tweaked?

• Score displays - I'm very happy to see that the Doctor Who - Masters of Time score display issues have been addressed (although some issues still persist). Also, the HUD for Gorgar appears... Incomplete... :confused: Still hoping for an overhaul to the older EM score displays (rolling numbers, rolling reset at startup, that sort of thing)... Also; weren't the scores supposed to be reflected in the backglass?

• Sound issues - Again, maybe it's just on my system, but there appears to be a 'crackling' in the low-end sounds for many of the tables (Xenon is a good example)

• Table tweaks - Several of the tables that were sources of frustration in the past now seem to play much better (Gorgar, for example, although see the above comment about the score display)

• Plunger Problems - I imagine that this may be due to the fact that the mouse can now be used to activate the 'mechanical' plunger, but it appears to me that the keyboard plunger function no longer responds as well as it used to (the plunger animation shows the plunger pulled all the way back, but the ball launch force is diminished unless the plunger key is held for longer than the animation would have you believe, making certain 'skill shots' more difficult than necessary... If I might be so bold as to suggest, a separate graphic element showing the plunger position, with the option to adjust the force prior to release via the arrow keys would be a good solution to this particular dilemma...

• New Ball Packs - As a concept, I like the new ball pack options, especially the Glow-Ball options (ball visibility is very important, after all). Granted, it's only been a day, but the ball selection appears to be a bit off in this release... Has anyone else noticed this? Speaking of custom ball options, I've not yet attempted any of the challenges on this release, but it appears that the ball selection reverts back to the standard silver ball during the challenges, with no way to change them. is this still the case, and if so, might it be addressed in a future release?

Overall, I'm very happy with the work that's been put into TPA in general, and the Mac version in particular, and look forward to further improvements in the future! :)

What are the impressions of others here in the community? Any issues you've noticed? Improvements worth mentioning?

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
I have not updated to 7.2.0, but I can say that the plunger issue was present in 7.1.0 for the 1st time ever: the 1st launch is not at 100% of power so you have to 2nd launch each time, each table.

Jay

May 19, 2012
The crackling sounds have been present for as long as I can remember. Interestingly, that problem doesn't seem to be present with iOS. I haven't noticed much of a difference in frame rate, but some of the graphics adjustments seem to have been tweaked and the tables look sharper. Lighting also looks slightly better, though nowhere near as good as on PC or console. I haven't noticed much difference in the score displays. Circus Voltaire's display is still sitting several pixels too high.

For some reason, nudging has flipped sides. Nudging left now behaves the way nudging right used to.

The biggest issue is that plunger problem; now there's no way to properly launch the ball with the space bar. Even after the first plunge, there are still power issues where the amount you pull back on the plunger doesn't seem to properly correspond with ball velocity. Again, this issue doesn't seem to be present in the iOS version.

Also, for some reason I had Paragon as one of my tables even though I didn't buy it. No complaints there, but with the next update it was gone. :( It was nice while it lasted.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
I'm having problems with the game getting stuck (loading) on final score screen with the Addams Family table and have to force quit
I have not been able to recreate with any other table, but TAF, it happens every time.

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
I can confirm the problem on The Addams Fanily... Upon the completion of a game, when TPA attempts to (I assume) upload your score, the upload process hangs, leaving no recourse but to force quit TPA.

I've yet to see this problem with other tables.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I can confirm the problem on The Addams Fanily... Upon the completion of a game, when TPA attempts to (I assume) upload your score, the upload process hangs, leaving no recourse but to force quit TPA.

I've yet to see this problem with other tables.

Were working on resolving the issue. Judge Dredd has the issue as well.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
I found I can "kinda" work around this problem.
When the game ends and Thing brings out the wagon, you can still quickly quit the game.

However, this doesn't work if you make it to the leaderboards.
After you enter your initials, and Thing brings the wagon out, the controller and/or keyboard no longer works and the game proceeds to hang [Loading]
High scores and Wizard Goal achievements don't count and are lost (Finally hit the 4-way Combo in TAF to find this out, arg....)

Local laundry mat just got a TAF table in really good condition, so I've been preparing (at least trying to prepare LOL)
Otherwise I would move on to another table

Hopefully, 7.3.0 fixes this :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.