Was this table canned for being a wide table?

BennyJackdaw

Aug 20, 2017
...Or was it because it's just not that interesting of a table. Some of the squirrels are kinda cute (one of them's obnoxious looking) but that's about it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It was canned because it was too expensive to build and was deemed unprofitable.

It was also produced towards the end of the Gottlieb/Columbia Pictures era, right before the Gottlieb/Mylstar "rebranding" (which itself only lasted a year or so before the management buyout that resulted in Gottlieb/Premier); almost certainly a victim of many circumstances.

Oh, and the table sucked. Chances are prototypes went out to a few locations and didn't get any traction. Expensive to build + low projected sales + low/no projected profits per unit = not going anywhere.

Industrial_Foods

Nov 7, 2014
Oh, and the table sucked. Chances are prototypes went out to a few locations and didn't get any traction. Expensive to build + low projected sales + low/no projected profits per unit = not going anywhere.

During the trial run of this table all of the pins were set up next to a nondescript trash can. After releasing the table the team returned weeks alter and noted that the trashcans had 5x as many quarters in them than the machine.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The wikipedia article states that good players had far too long ball times, meaning there wasn't that just-one-more-quarter thing going on; and presumably anyone watching would get bored and walk off rather than wait their turn to play.

BennyJackdaw

Aug 20, 2017
During the trial run of this table all of the pins were set up next to a nondescript trash can. After releasing the table the team returned weeks alter and noted that the trashcans had 5x as many quarters in them than the machine.

I actually got a rise off this one. That's pretty good. XD

I really do like animal themes, and I kind of wish there was a good table with an animal theme where the animals aren't antagonistic characters like in No Good Gofers (the only one I can think of is that Swords of Fury has a "Lion Man" though he looks more like a weird rat monster than a lion based on the bumper art) but Goin' Nuts just looks too simple without any catchy gimmicks or art.

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
Oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah-oomp-ah

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Apparently, Wide Body tables were more expensive to make since they were bigger than regular, bodied tables. That's what the actual info for Goin' Nuts said, anyway.

Yeah, but Goin Nuts was just bad. I don't think it really had anything to do with it being a widebody, although it might've been used as an excuse to save the designers' feelings or something :D.

Last edited:

BennyJackdaw

Aug 20, 2017
Yeah, but Goin Nuts was just bad. I don't think it really had anything to do with it being a widebody, although it might've been used as an excuse to save the designers' feelings or something :D.

Perhaps, but I just said what the bio said. Part of me loves the idea os a squirrel-themed table, the other part however just cannot get over how shallow the table looks. I plan on getting the Season 2 table bundle sometime soon, so then I'll get to try it out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

BennyJackdaw

Aug 20, 2017
Actually played it a bit. It's not as bad as I thought it'd be, and I admire the fact it has different rules, though it starts out on Multiball, which is arguably one of the worst aspects of pinball, and you're kind of required to have at least two balls up at a time to keep the timer running, though from the few plays I've done, the first ball usually gets drained right away.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I play this game quite a bit, and it's a good game to practice your multiball juggling. I just don't think folks back then were ready for a game that starts with multiball. And I think the theme didn't appeal with too many people. Kids liked it, but with school, they didn't have much time.

BennyJackdaw

Aug 20, 2017
Might also be a beginners table for nudging. From my experience, nudging is absolutely necessary to keep the first ball from draining. This is often considered one of the worst tables in the game, but after playing season two, I'd say I disliked Central Park and El Dorado City of Gold more. Central Park might just be because I don't understand the table, but while Goin' Nuts is a standard layout with different rules, El Dorado City of Gold is just a mediocre layout with standard rules, and I have to say I got bored with EDCoG fast. People seem to think the original El Dorado's better, though.

As for the theme, I actually happen to love animal themes, even cutesy ones. I don't know about Moshi Monsters or Squish World cutesy, but anything less then that I'm usually fine with.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.