Does the table really capture the show?

BennyJackdaw

Aug 20, 2017
I always thought RBION was about strange things that actually existed, yet I see Bigfoot, a mind-reading dog, haunted tombstones, haunted idols, Atlantis, WTF?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Ripley's Believe It Or Not has pretty much covered every topic you can think of. They might not come right out and say Bigfoot exists, but they might talk about a half mile stretch of 18" tracks found in Northern California (I just made this one up), or some other Bigfoot related item like (see below). Many are checkable facts, others are not. Some seemed to be based on eyewitness accounts or even theories. I remember seeing them in the Sunday comics. Some were pretty difficult to believe. But they were usually entertaining.
http://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/cartoon-03-08-2016/
http://www.bigfootlunchclub.com/2013/06/bigfoot-seen-at-ripleys-believe-it-or.html?m=0

Last edited:

BennyJackdaw

Aug 20, 2017
BTW, what is "Frog Frenzy?" I've never unlocked it, but is it a reference to the Raining Frog incidents?

karl

May 10, 2012
It is not that hard if you focus on multiballs and superjackpots. Rippoff is your friend

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Does the pin really capture the show? Well, it's not based on the modern show, but instead on the life and more specifically the travels of Robert L. Ripley, "a cartoonist, explorer, reporter, adventurer, and collector, who traveled to 201 countries in 35 years seeking the odd, the unusual, and the unexplained...He was nicknamed “The Modern Marco Polo”, and in his endless search for unbelievable stories to draw in his immensely popular newspaper cartoon feature, he acquired hundreds of exotic artifacts from around the world."
http://www.ripleys.com/our-story/robert-ripley/

He was born in the late 1800's and adventured extensively in the early 1900's, so as you can imagine, tales of far-fetched happenings were much more believable and captivating in those days.

If any shows were used as inspiration, it would probably be his early radio shows, which I haven't personally heard, but I'm guessing they're pretty far out and wild.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Does the pin really capture the show? Well, it's not based on the modern show, but instead on the life and more specifically the travels of Robert L. Ripley, "a cartoonist, explorer, reporter, adventurer, and collector, who traveled to 201 countries in 35 years seeking the odd, the unusual, and the unexplained...He was nicknamed “The Modern Marco Polo”, and in his endless search for unbelievable stories to draw in his immensely popular newspaper cartoon feature, he acquired hundreds of exotic artifacts from around the world."
http://www.ripleys.com/our-story/robert-ripley/

He was born in the late 1800's and adventured extensively in the early 1900's, so as you can imagine, tales of far-fetched happenings were much more believable and captivating in those days.

Hey Robby son, here's a wee story for ya, in the 21st centuary an orange looking looney will run your country, and ripley replies pfffttt there has to be SOME plausible grain of truth! Believe it or not....I was at one of the Meuse s as a kid and say that holographic intro stuff, magic is real!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Hey Robby son, here's a wee story for ya, in the 21st centuary an orange looking looney will run your country, and ripley replies pfffttt there has to be SOME plausible grain of truth! Believe it or not....I was at one of the Meuse s as a kid and say that holographic intro stuff, magic is real!

Haha, even the worst politicians...errr I mean magicians...can still pull a rabbit out of their ass it seems :D

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I guess the man of the hour himself said it best: “I have traveled in 201 countries and the strangest thing I saw was man” -Robert L. Ripley

Striker

May 26, 2017
I always thought RBION was about strange things that actually existed, yet I see Bigfoot, a mind-reading dog, haunted tombstones, haunted idols, Atlantis, WTF?

I can hear Jack Palance's voice now . . . .

I remember the lantern man (guy with a candle on his head) from the comics. Bozo the Mind-Reading Dog was schtick from his radio show.

Members online

Members online