Help on "Collect a Special" wizard goal?

Apr 8, 2012
Does anyone have any tips on completing the "Collect a Special" wizard goal? The problem I'm having is with the "ROCK" targets. The "AC/DC" and "TNT" targets are easy because they are drop targets and you can see your progress by their up/down status along with the lights. The "ROCK" targets appear to be stand-ups so you can't gauge your progress just by looking if they are up or down. Also, the lights don't appear to stop flashing once you hit one of the letters. In addition, I don't think it's possible to hit all 4 "ROCK" letters from a trap on the left flipper. I have been trying to first complete "AC/DC" and "TNT" and then hit "ROCK" over and over again from the left flipper, but this just isn't working. I was able to finally get the standard goal of earning an extra ball just by lucking into random hits on "ROCK", but I'm having a hell of a time getting the special. Getting to "Encore" was easier than this. I'm playing on Steam btw.

Apr 8, 2012
I've learned a little more. In my first post I said the "ROCK" lights don't appear to stop flashing once you hit a letter. This is not entirely true. I was playing the song "Let There Be Rock" and during THAT song, the "ROCK" letters are always flashing. If you play a different song, the lights for each letter go out once you hit them as expected. So definitely don't play "Let There Be Rock" if you are exclusively going for this goal like I am. Next, from a trap on the left flipper, if you shoot at "ROCK" the easiest letter to hit is "C". You can also get "O" and I believe I got "K" once or twice, but I'm not sure on that one. "R" seems to be an impossible shot from a trap on the left flipper (I really hope this can be fixed at some point). There are several way you can try to flail to get "R" (and "K"). One is to aim for "AC/DC" and hope for a good rebound that goes over to "ROCK" or goes from "TNT" to "ROCK". I haven't found a reliable letter in "AC/DC" to aim for to get this to work consistently. It probably depends partly on which drop targets are up or down. Shots from the cannon can also give you a decent shot of bouncing from "AC/DC" over to "ROCK". You can try shooting from the left flipper from a rolling shot, it works sometimes but it is pretty risky. Normally, you're just going to get your "R" from a lucky bounce or randomly off of the left slingshot. I thought multiball would be a good strategy to give lots of chances for random "ROCK" hits, but at least with Album Multiball it doesn't pan out that great because all the drop target banks are reset at the start. I'm not sure on this, but I think you need to get all 3 target banks down before they reset for a multiball, new ball, or whatever. It's very hard to tell for sure because the "Instant Info" doesn't keep track of the banks individually and I have trouble keeping tally in my head. Finally, the most aggravating thing I've learned is that once you get the special lit, you need to collect it before you drain. I had a game tonight where I got Special lit after 2 balls and then drained. If this happens you are screwed and might as well restart. I think the next time Special lights is after 35 target bank completions.

Members online

Members online