Pinball FX3 released - first impressions

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Although the UI seems to be a bit overwhelming at first, I don't think it's bad. Actually I think it's structured and functional. What do you think is bad about the UI?

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Well all my tables are now unlocked apart from the 5 they seem to be having issues with....but all in all, a nice free update with some nice cool features, and it cost me nothing. :)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I’m unaware of the full list but know some tables didn’t transfer, like the excellent South Park tables, pretty sure there’s a few more

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Tables not coming to Pinball FX3
• South Park Pinball 2 Table Pack
• Street Fighter Pinball
• Ninja Gaiden Pinball
• Plants vs. Zombies Pinball
• Ms. Splosion Man Pinball

http://www.pinballfx.com/?page_id=7115

Super League Football is missing in this list. This didn't come to PBFX3 as well.

Last edited:

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Tables not coming to Pinball FX3
• South Park Pinball 2 Table Pack
• Street Fighter Pinball
• Ninja Gaiden Pinball
• Plants vs. Zombies Pinball
• Ms. Splosion Man Pinball

http://www.pinballfx.com/?page_id=7115

Super League Football is missing in this list. This didn't come to PBFX3 as well.

super league will eventually be added, they are "de-licensing" the table and it will just feature the zen team. I imaging you will still play against the other teams (by name) but you won't see their official logos or other licensed imagery.

the rest are killed by licensing not going through - ms. splosion man (micorosoft), plants vs. zombies (activision), not sure about street fighter or ninja gaiden - those never even made it to mobile. South Park is the hurtful one, hopefully matt and trey will have a change of heart - was even hoping for more SP themed tables...

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Makes me wonder why they didn't just put in the unlicensed table in, which they already had.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Well whatever it was they had to pull it from the store after a licensing expiration/dispute with a statement it will eventually return license free - I fired it up again and I only had the zen default team (didn't know who the official dlc professional teams were so never purchased) and i would say its pretty unlicensed as is - with the exception of you are "playing" against official teams like liverpool fb whose name is shown on the DMD. Apparently you can't even reference real world teams or pretend you are playing in a league against them.

They should see if farsight is down for being a rival team - that would be fun.

MoralWombat

Sep 13, 2017
So this drives me crazy... Why does the Windows 10 version not have cabinet support? It sucks because I've purchased a ton of tables for Xbox and they transfered them, which is great, but it's only for the Windows 10 version, not steam. So if I want to play all those tables again on my cabinet I just built I have to report purchase?

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
To permanently turn off the annoying voice, go Options -> UI/Streaming -> Guide Character: Off
Not sure how I missed that the first time.

otto4711

Nov 6, 2013
i dont like fx2/fx3 very much.
i bought fx2 and several packs before pinball arcade came out.

the tables fell all the same.
they have the same physics and some parts are the same for all tables
with 3 lanes left and 2 on the right to activate ball save
and the way the missions work with timer, balls save etc is the same on all fx tables.

when u play the tables u fell that all are made by the same team.
there is no variety in game play (yes i know they all have different themes)
like with pinball arcade where every table feels different.

the physics are not very realistic in my opinion.
u can stop the ball very easy on the flippers no matter which speed the ball has
and its a bit like old pinball games (pinball dreams or fantasies):
when u hit or miss something u'll know exactly where the ball will go next.

from fx2 to fx3 i see no big improvments in gameplay or gfx
the ladder system is also a bit strange.
u play against the same 3 opponents all the time (ok somtimes one or 2 new names will show up but with similar points to beat)
u rise up not by beating points of other players u just have to play many games to go higher
the player on 1st rang just played the most games and is not the best player with best score like it should be

fx3 is not a bad game but pinball arcade is much better if u ask me.
pa has its own bugs but at least tables feel different.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Hey, does Pinball FX 3 require a PS+ subscription to play online on PS4 (matchups)?

And Farsight, take note, new lighting engine, new physics, new modes and table import... everything free if you've have already bought it on Zen 2... Just sayin'.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey, does Pinball FX 3 require a PS+ subscription to play online on PS4 (matchups)?

And Farsight, take note, new lighting engine, new physics, new modes and table import... everything free if you've have already bought it on Zen 2... Just sayin'.

I don't actually know the answer to your PS4 question, but isn't that pretty much the deal? If you want online play, you need PS+ subscription.

And yeah, FarSight didn't really take note when all the tables in Zen 2 on PS3 transferred over for free to PS4 either. Zen gets customer loyalty 100%.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013

Ok I definitely think Farsight could do stuff better and I don't hesitate to call them out on their crap.
BUT hmmm unless you missed it, farsight updated from dx9 to dx11 FOR FREE, they updated the physics on all tables FOR FREE. They updated the UI FOR FREE. They just didn't create a whole new app for it, which sucks that Zen did cause now the 2 best tables (south park and Butters) are NOT in FX3. Boooo to FX3. I would much prefer to have FX2 app with south park tables but with all the other updates of course. At least Farsight didn't make such a huge deal out of it they just handed it to us. Who cares what the app is called. The new FX3 grind til you die modes I couldn't really care less about but sure if you like it good for you, all I was looking forward too (and many with me) was custom head 2 head, which FX3 doesn't have but Farsight are working on and have us try out and hopefully they will get it working. And oh it will be FOR FREE!!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ok I definitely think Farsight could do stuff better and I don't hesitate to call them out on their crap.
BUT hmmm unless you missed it, farsight updated from dx9 to dx11 FOR FREE

On PC, yes. Which is why I've said for years people should migrate off console and to PC. But where the PS3 was technically DX9, it wasn't free to upgrade to the PS4 where it was technically DX11 (style of lighting, not actual graphics mode). Same for those on Xbox 360 (poor bastards) moving to Xbone. The argument people always used was those are new systems and FarSight essentially was creating a new game. Well, Zen migrated to both platforms with no cost, and now they have a 'new' game and again did not charge for migration. THAT is the crux of the argument. Nobody is saying FarSight hasn't done new things for free. It's just the big one, migration, that they did charge for.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
On PC, yes. Which is why I've said for years people should migrate off console and to PC. But where the PS3 was technically DX9, it wasn't free to upgrade to the PS4 where it was technically DX11 (style of lighting, not actual graphics mode). Same for those on Xbox 360 (poor bastards) moving to Xbone. The argument people always used was those are new systems and FarSight essentially was creating a new game. Well, Zen migrated to both platforms with no cost, and now they have a 'new' game and again did not charge for migration. THAT is the crux of the argument. Nobody is saying FarSight hasn't done new things for free. It's just the big one, migration, that they did charge for.

Yeah sure but it's not the same thing, this time fx2 to fx3 is for the same platforms, and farsights updated physics for free on mobile too and keep working on physics and lighting upgrade on at least ps4 for free (although 1 step forward and 2 steps back ;)). I think they're doing some physics stuff on ps3 too but everything theres moves very slowly so I can't say for sure because pretty much like Farsight, I abandoned that system long time ago.

Pinball arcade ps3 to ps4 costing money sucks but it if Zen charged anything for fx2 to fx3 it would be totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I expected a huge improvement in graphics with Fx3 and was a little disappointed. They missed an opportunity here. Even less settings for people to customize.
Also agree that with Southpark it misses two of the best tables...

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Also agree that with Southpark it misses two of the best tables...

Butters is good - not great, but above average. But South Park Super Sweet Pinball is definitely in my top 10 Zen tables overall - so much depth, mode stacking, and general zaniness. I really hope it doesn't disappear when they upgrade the mobile version.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I’m assuming those on steam that already bought South Park can still download it right if not that’s bad mojo

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.