Pinball FX3 released - first impressions

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I’m assuming those on steam that already bought South Park can still download it right if not that’s bad mojo

It's available in Pinball FX2. The license is still fine for that, same as you can still buy Plants vs. Zombies. PBFX3 is considered a new platform, thus all new licensing was involved. Same thing would happen to TPA if they came out with TPA2, and all those kickstarter tables would come back to haunt them.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Personally speaking that’s fine what’s one more icon really you can save space and just download the tables you need and keep going. Anyway stop posting break out the snacks and get to mr robot we need to pull it apart

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Personally speaking that’s fine what’s one more icon really you can save space and just download the tables you need and keep going. Anyway stop posting break out the snacks and get to mr robot we need to pull it apart

Watched it last night, so message me.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
we still have FX2 so you can still play the tables that didn`t come over . also it looks great on my 4K tv and using my PS4 PRO , can`t wait for my XBOX1X next month should look really good !!!:cool:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I don't actually know the answer to your PS4 question, but isn't that pretty much the deal? If you want online play, you need PS+ subscription.

There are some exceptions that do not require PS+ subscription to play online:

- Free-to-play games (basically, ZEN/Pinball FX is a F2P game)
- Games with basic leaderboards
- Games that already require a subscription fee (Elder Scrolls online)
- Some very simple online game modes do not require PS+:

> Watchdogs you can still invade and be invaded without ps+ but you can't play the other MP modes and Destiny you can play the story and explore mode without it and only require plus for raids/strikes /pvp (quoted from gamefaqs)

So, in case of Pinball FX, a very simple random matchup maybe do not require the PS+ subscription... Hard to find the info!

Well, Zen migrated to both platforms with no cost, and now they have a 'new' game and again did not charge for migration. THAT is the crux of the argument. Nobody is saying FarSight hasn't done new things for free. It's just the big one, migration, that they did charge for.

This.

My point of view:

- With the free migration and upgrade to Pinball FX 3, I think to maybe purchase a second-hand PS4 (and for a few other cross-buy games I own on PS3). And it's possible I buy a few extra packs on PS3 to have them for free on PS4: Zen Studios keeps a customer.

- Pinball Arcade on PS3 is dead since the megapatch (April 2014). Since this date, there's only one update per year, and it simply adds the new tables (no bugfixes, no new features, no ball physics 3.0 on older tables!). Playing Pinball Arcade on PS3 is playing a 3 years-old broken version... :/
Migrate to PS4 requires to REBUY everything again: about 200 bucks for one game!!!! Well, no.
So, I don't buy anything related to Pinball Arcade on PS3 because it is dead and I won't rebuy everything on PS4: Farsight Studios loses a customer.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum. ^^

I think they're doing some physics stuff on ps3 too but everything theres moves very slowly so I can't say for sure because pretty much like Farsight, I abandoned that system long time ago.

See above.

I expected a huge improvement in graphics with Fx3 and was a little disappointed. They missed an opportunity here. Even less settings for people to customize.

The lighting improvement is top-notch, but yeah, the graphics models are the same (i.e. gorgeous in my opinion). Oh, I would like to see the difference when adjusting the lighting slider but couldn't find a video about that yet.

Last edited:

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Hey, does Pinball FX 3 require a PS+ subscription to play online on PS4 (matchups)?

And Farsight, take note, new lighting engine, new physics, new modes and table import... everything free if you've have already bought it on Zen 2... Just sayin'.

Was a bit annoyed that some of the tables I owned were now tied to packs.

I had tables such as Paranormal, Guardians of The Galaxy, Deadpool, Venom and Earth Defense and will have to buy those tables again.
I do enjoy the all the new upgrades Zen did for FX3.

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
Was a bit annoyed that some of the tables I owned were now tied to packs.

I had tables such as Paranormal, Guardians of The Galaxy, Deadpool, Venom and Earth Defense and will have to buy those tables again.
I do enjoy the all the new upgrades Zen did for FX3.

Nope, you still own them. When you do the import you download the pack and then the unlocks separately. Pay attention when the import is running, for the unlocks you have to cursor over to the download arrow on the right and pick them.

Last edited:

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Nope, you still own them. When you do the import you download the pack and then the unlocks separately. Pay attention when the import is running, you have to cursor over to the download arrow on the right and pick that.
I'll have to look at that again. Can I do that even though I imported all my tables can I reimport those tables or do I have to do all the tables over again.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
I think you can just run it again. I missed a couple tables on my first go through.
Okay thanks for the info I'm currently read downloading some of the ones and hopefully it will work out.
Unfortunately if I knew this before I wouldn't have bought Epic Quest again.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
So a couple weeks in now and I think I've played more Zen than I have in the last year. They really have something here.

There's a few things that need attention of course. In matchups right now it's always better to challenge the 2nd score and get 25 extra points from domination than to do the 1st place for an extra 10. Losing needs to do more than drop you 5 points, otherwise the top of the bracket is just whoever played the most.

Survival mode badly needs to be balanced per-table. On some tables just making the skillshot is enough to bump you up to 6+ star levels and unlocking the rewind skill. Other than that I find on Zen tables scoring is usually heavily tied to playing modes. There are some tables that just take forever to get a mode going and some that don't give you any points until the mode is finished or failed. Trying to get a mode started and finished with no ball drain every 60 seconds is ridiculous. Mars is one of my favorite old Zen tables but it's a really slow-burn, long-playing table. I tried about 15 times and could not get past 1 star on survival. Other tables are ridiculously easy. I was wondering why there were so few survival tournaments going on until I tried a couple. For some tables they work, but for a lot all you can possibly get done is a skillshot and whatever the fastest mode is. It really puts a hard cap on the high score.

Last edited:

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
^ agree the one size fits all modes like survival doesn't work on some tables - sorcerers lair is another that is low scoring except for modes so it's a race to get the mode started. But I am glad that there is diversity as far as gameplay and there is not some cookie cutter formula for everything they put out

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Pinball FX2 DLC is no longer available for purchase on steam.

Wow that's a horrible move as my laptop can "just" manage FX2 (although the Windows Store version seems lighter so generally runs better) but has huge slowdown on FX3.

Tables look nice I suppose but really not that much of a difference.

I thought that too initially, but then I went back and played FX2 and the difference was pretty huge. eg playfield artwork was completely redrawn on Sorcerers Lair so the kids actually look different. The lighting of course is the most obvious difference, everything looks really dull and fake going back to FX2.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.