High Sierra?

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
So I've downloaded the installer for Mac OS High Sierra (10.13), but have yet to install it.

Does anyone have any insight as to the effect (if any) this new OS will have on TPA?

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
So I've downloaded the installer for Mac OS High Sierra (10.13), but have yet to install it.

Does anyone have any insight as to the effect (if any) this new OS will have on TPA?

TPA seems to work very well with High Sierra.

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
Well, this is... Interesting...

I went ahead last night, and installed 10.13, and while the installation went smoothly, and the majority of my existing applications work without incident, it seems I have run into a little problem with TPA - When I launch the game, the music starts, but no game graphics appear, as in the Finder graphics remain on screen, but I can't interact with the Finder. TPA appears to be playing 'invisibly' in the foreground, and I can even blindly activate some of TPA's buttons with the mouse cursor (which is still visible), but no visual evidence that the game is running.

I tried removing, and reinstalling TPA, Same result.

I then remembered my Steam account, and gave TPA a try via Steam - Same result.

With any luck, this problem will resolve itself with the impending release of 7.5.0, or perhaps with the inevitable 10.13.1 update, whenever that gets released...
[MENTION=5686]curtis[/MENTION] - just to compare notes, as it were, what is your configuration? (just the basic info from 'About This Mac)

Mine is -

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2 GB

I'm glad TPA is working for you under 10.13, and very curious why it isn't for me...

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
Well, this is... Interesting...

[MENTION=5686]curtis[/MENTION] - just to compare notes, as it were, what is your configuration? (just the basic info from 'About This Mac)

I have the Mid 2010 iMac with 27-inch screen:
2.93GHz Core i7
16GB 1333MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB

I did not do a clean install; instead, I simply upgraded from 10.12.6

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
Thank you.

I also simply updated from 10.12.6.

I, of course, have no clue what might have happened in my case, but with any luck, the Farsight Mac programmer (do they only have the one?) will be able to figure this out...

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
I think you should always mention if you have formatted to APFS .. or not .. when talking about high sierra bug testing

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
Oops, you're right... although APFS is not an option for me yet, as mine is a 3TB Fusion Drive, so I'm still on HFS+.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
So APFS is merely meant for ssd/flash drives?

I installed Sierria on an extra drive two weeks ago; in attempt to get 3rd party firewire interface driver to work on my mid 2010 iMac 2.93 i7 (it failed)
This driver is also suppose to work on High Sierra as well, while I have this extra OS drive sitting here, I was thinking of giving it a try.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
currently running High Sierra

Pinball Arcade running here.
occasional slight jerkiness with the ball (frame rate drop) but playable

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
APFS is only supported on SSD drives at the moment, with support for non-SSD drives said to be coming in a future release (it's not an option to install on regular disc-based hard drives yet).

I may have to try installing High Sierra on an external drive, and see if that makes a difference...

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
Well, I tried installing High Sierra on an external drive, to see if that would fix the problem, and, no change...:(

For what it's worth, I've been noticing some other, random, minor graphic glitches (mostly in the Finder) since upgrading (and even after applying the 'Supplemental Update'), so I'm currently leaning toward thinking this is an Apple problem, as opposed to being a Farsight problem.

Fingers crossed for 10.13.1... And for 7.5.0, whenever that gets released...

Jay

May 19, 2012
I've been using High Sierra (and APFS) for a few months now and haven't had any problems. TPA has been running its usual choppy self, as it's been doing for years. It actually runs better for me when it's emulated on Windows with Steam, oddly enough. So is High Sierra the problem? Probably not, since TPA's behavior really hasn't changed much over the past few OS releases. I can't remember the last time it ran smoothly.

There are rumors that Apple is working on a universal OS for iOS and Mac, so that apps run interchangeably on either system. Maybe TPA will work okay then (since it's fine on my iPad).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.