BlahCade 113: Save The Pinball For Last

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
for a first-pass, i'd say "pretty kewl" for a stripped-down look, while paying homage to tha roots... these days, deeply into the design-for-monitors/net-instead-of-print era, logo design can be a good bit more extravagant than it used to (need to) be, but some brevity/compactness/succinctness in design still don't hurt anything. you always wanna be able to make the core design as big as you might need, without too much fluff blocking the way! (the encompassing 'circle-nova' thing, i'd personally say, has gotta go... :)

starting from scratch, are you guys committed to the UC/lc/spacing of 'BlahCade'? or are variations of it ok? like, "BLAHCADE", or "BLAH CADE", or even hyphenating "BLAH-CADE"... or, all UC, but emphasizing/larger-size on the BC, with slightly smaller size on the trailing letters?

or even going all lc, "blahcade" (and/or any of the above suggested variants)? unless it's a really good typeface, i wouldn't recommend all-lc... can depend on the 'face, but i'd trend to just all UC... or maybe even just "blahCade"?? that's symmetrical, at least... again, depends on the 'face and how it looks! try some samples of a dot-matrix font, like the DMD displays of old, although i personally wouldn't commit myself to it... i'll see if i have my ye-olde typeface binder packed away someplace and dig it out.

sorry, getting really picky, but graphic/logo design is kinda my forté... ;0 i think the flipper/ball elements still def apply; they're nice framing elements - but first, maybe just think about the kind of typeface treatments you like best. then we'll get into the graphic elements/placement of things...

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I do appreciate a good font , but sometimes ya just can’t beat a nice clean monospaced font at least in computing heh

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
for a first-pass, i'd say "pretty kewl" for a stripped-down look, while paying homage to tha roots... these days, deeply into the design-for-monitors/net-instead-of-print era, logo design can be a good bit more extravagant than it used to (need to) be, but some brevity/compactness/succinctness in design still don't hurt anything. you always wanna be able to make the core design as big as you might need, without too much fluff blocking the way! (the encompassing 'circle-nova' thing, i'd personally say, has gotta go... :)

starting from scratch, are you guys committed to the UC/lc/spacing of 'BlahCade'? or are variations of it ok? like, "BLAHCADE", or "BLAH CADE", or even hyphenating "BLAH-CADE"... or, all UC, but emphasizing/larger-size on the BC, with slightly smaller size on the trailing letters?

or even going all lc, "blahcade" (and/or any of the above suggested variants)? unless it's a really good typeface, i wouldn't recommend all-lc... can depend on the 'face, but i'd trend to just all UC... or maybe even just "blahCade"?? that's symmetrical, at least... again, depends on the 'face and how it looks! try some samples of a dot-matrix font, like the DMD displays of old, although i personally wouldn't commit myself to it... i'll see if i have my ye-olde typeface binder packed away someplace and dig it out.

sorry, getting really picky, but graphic/logo design is kinda my forté... ;0 i think the flipper/ball elements still def apply; they're nice framing elements - but first, maybe just think about the kind of typeface treatments you like best. then we'll get into the graphic elements/placement of things...

Well if it's your forte...!

I'm a big fan of typeface too. The site Jared was on didn't have a lot of choices, but it at least gave an idea that was workable.

I find BlahCade more easily readable than BLAHCADE. We aren't a hyphenate, so I don't wanna go that route.

I need to sit at my computer and run through all the fonts I have.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
First off, nothing is ever final until it's final. We just want to know if you all like this direction. As for color choice, if you look at virtually any fast food or gas station sign as you drive next time, almost all feature one or a mix of orange, blue, red, and yellow. Red didn't look good to us, blue was too boring, and yellow doesn't translate well quite often. Orange is fire, is alive, vibrant, hard to ignore, and yet easy on the eyes for clarity.
And yes, we saw the face and kinda liked it!

aside from that, the host lives in Orange County.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
aside from that, the host lives in Orange County.

Sure do! And we've got a massive wildfire going right now. Here in SoCal our seasons are a bit different; we have fire season, Oscar season, mudslide season, and summer.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Sure do! And we've got a massive wildfire going right now. Here in SoCal our seasons are a bit different; we have fire season, Oscar season, mudslide season, and summer.

We're basically surrounded up here in Sacramento:

JhHwQjH_d.jpg

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
;0... "So far, 11 people have died. What are you seeing outside?"

i'm seeing, 'YYYYYAAAAAAHHH GAAAHHDD I'MMM ONN FIRE!!!' (sorry, tasteless... riffing wildfires like MST3K just doesn't work too well does it... but i thought i'd for once try to beat trump to the punch on "tastlessness"... ;0)

i'll try to poke at the font-faces next over the next few days; been immersed in other non-fonty projects. (but i sure want to see 'pinball podcast' in that neato pinstripey/neon/metalish-style typeface... if i can't find that, i might hafta try to design one myself ;0)

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
(but i sure want to see 'pinball podcast' in that neato pinstripey/neon/metalish-style typeface... if i can't find that, i might hafta try to design one myself ;0)

I don't know what you're talking about but it sounds sexy as hell and now I wanna see it too!

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
;0... "So far, 11 people have died. What are you seeing outside?"

i'm seeing, 'YYYYYAAAAAAHHH GAAAHHDD I'MMM ONN FIRE!!!' (sorry, tasteless... riffing wildfires like MST3K just doesn't work too well does it... but i thought i'd for once try to beat trump to the punch on "tastlessness"... ;0)

i'll try to poke at the font-faces next over the next few days; been immersed in other non-fonty projects. (but i sure want to see 'pinball podcast' in that neato pinstripey/neon/metalish-style typeface... if i can't find that, i might hafta try to design one myself ;0)

p.s. i'm truly sorry 'cuz in retrospect of just one or two minutes, i realize i just made a -really, =really= tasteless joke... but, all consideration in the "too soon to politicize" dept., forest fires are a bit more "act of god" than a madman with 35 more guns than he should been sold within a single year... ;9 just sayin'! ;)

p.p.s. syt, i'm allready workin' 'pon it! :)) i hope it's worthy of consideration. (maybe you'll all poo on it instead... ;0 s'alright!) (PPPS here, i don't twitter-gram or instagram or anything like that; is it possible to post jpgs at least direct to the forums here??)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
p.s. i'm truly sorry 'cuz in retrospect of just one or two minutes, i realize i just made a -really, =really= tasteless joke... but, all consideration in the "too soon to politicize" dept., forest fires are a bit more "act of god" than a madman with 35 more guns than he should been sold within a single year... ;9 just sayin'! ;)

p.p.s. syt, i'm allready workin' 'pon it! :)) i hope it's worthy of consideration. (maybe you'll all poo on it instead... ;0 s'alright!) (PPPS here, i don't twitter-gram or instagram or anything like that; is it possible to post jpgs at least direct to the forums here??)

email to our official account blahblahblahcade@gmail.com

Let us nit pick before the rest of the forum does! But yes, you are able to post pics here too.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Don't sweat it dude. I chuckled at it and I'm right here in the midst of it (although I'm far enough away that I don't have to worry).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.