BlahCade 113: Save The Pinball For Last

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
http://blahcadepinball.com/2017/10/03/Episode-113-Save-The-Pinball-For-Last.html

We’re back after a bit of a break with some news from Zen and Farsight. We also have a lengthy discussion about movies and other junk before getting into the pinball news, so feel free to skip right past all that.

There is info about a new Kickstarter from FarSight and Trick Gaming Studios for a new 2D pinball adventure. When we recorded this episode, it was early days for the game and Kickstarter. Since recording, Trick Gaming Studios have fixed a lot of the issues with IAP in the game, so definitely check it out.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hehe, I love how uncomfortable Jared gets when a podcast doesn't dive right into a meaty pinball discussion. There's quite a few of our sessions where he's gone in and edited the non pinball stuff so it appears last. I'm at risk for asking this, but do you listeners trust our show enough to make it past whatever b.s. I'm on a roll about to get to the pinball goodness? Or do you need the show front loaded and any non pinball pushed to the back? This isn't a question of only talking pinball, just whether you need it spoonfed to you or not.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
Hehe, I love how uncomfortable Jared gets when a podcast doesn't dive right into a meaty pinball discussion. There's quite a few of our sessions where he's gone in and edited the non pinball stuff so it appears last. I'm at risk for asking this, but do you listeners trust our show enough to make it past whatever b.s. I'm on a roll about to get to the pinball goodness? Or do you need the show front loaded and any non pinball pushed to the back? This isn't a question of only talking pinball, just whether you need it spoonfed to you or not.

hey, i'm all for "shootin' tha sh*t" during a podcast! that's what makes maron and other like podcasts not only entertaining, but informative... :) guess it does come down tho to what kind of stuff the 'casters have on their minds, and what listeners want, but hell... f* the metrics; be yourselves! and let the listeners sort themselves out.

you guys always have interesting stuff to talk about... actually jared, i'd love to hear ya talk a bit more about the work you do (at least, what you're allowed to outside of contractual obligations) - you may not think so yourself, but i think you're in an interesting line of work, imho.

along those lines, if you'd be entertained by a couple of very intelligent-yet-very daft pair of brit-geeks getting sidetracked by long tangents, check out the "prison architect" alpha/dev videos on youtube under "IVsoftware"... some of the funniest stuff ever, listening to those guys, going on silly about "star wars" and radiohead (not to mention, was very interesting to watch the dev of PA along with them, along with a lot of truly from-the-inside-out ups and downs of indie game dev).

interested in "it," but probably won't see that til viddy someday, but setting some ticket-mon aside for "blade re-runner". of course!

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Needs more ginge

Honestly the mix is great, sometimes it might veer to heavy either way but let it flow naturally for the most part, I prefer when it’s a more natural mix of both and topics flow into each other, of course that doesn’t always happen but theirs no fault in that....and whitechoclate shut yer face he’s already got a tech writers podcast I can’t remember the name f it off hand but everyone likes nice clear documents espically when your getting started on a new area, he’s really good at that stuff from what I’ve seen(pay me later)

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
and whitechoclate shut yer face he’s already got a tech writers podcast I can’t remember the name f it off hand but everyone likes nice clear documents espically when your getting started on a new area, he’s really good at that stuff from what I’ve seen(pay me later)

NAME-DROP, YA LIMEY WHISKEY-BREATH'D BASTAHHHDD!! ;0 hahahahahh... :) !! wouldn't mind tuning into it!! :)

p.s. what tha hayell's 'ginge'? some kinda crikey code for skank? ;0

p.p.s. so whaddaya do SYT & jared, with your rabid fanbase? ;0 shoot viddy and sell "bum-fight" tapes alongside yer teesherts?? ;)

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Yesterday I was called a Scot now I’m being called a limey! I’m lucky charms!

Ginge as in ginger aka the ginger minge

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It's the Write The Docs Podcast. Last episode we talked about using chat bots as an interface to documentation on demand.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
My vote is to move the non-pinball talk to later in the podcast, but I will keep listening either way, it's one of my favorite podcasts.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Also, great discussion in this episode on "IAP for credits" - I downloaded the Farsight Ghostbusters/Haunted House app and once I realized that was the model (and also that the table was essentially Haunted House), I uninstalled.

I think it's a psychological difference, I am happy to go on location and put $2-3 into physical pinball tables once a week, but it's like I'm renting them there - when it's on my phone, I own the phone, so I want the option, at least, to own the apps that are on it. I think $10 is a reasonable price for a modern Stern in SPA to own outright. But I would not be playing SPA at all if you had to buy credits to pay, even if it was likely I would spend less overall. As you said in the podcast, it ends up penalizing people who really like the game and drives them away, and these are your most likely repeat customers. Seems flawed to me.

Honestly, the best "ongoing IAP" model I have seen so far is the one that Zen put into the standalone Bethesda Pinball app. You choose one table to unlock first, then you unlock the rest by playing, and you can double your progress toward certain awards by watching ads. And if you really want to unlock you can pay. It keeps you coming back but doesn't feel like you are held hostage by the game, and Zen gets their money either way with the ad revenue.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I can appreciate the p8nball first stuff but our long term members and a ndeed the podcast was formed around peeps with a common goal ntresret with all variations in between, maybe it’s just my inner soavlist commie bestard

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
There was something I really felt I wanted to comment on while I was listening to the podcast yesterday, but screw it if I haven't forgotten what it was now.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
https://logojoy.com/s/15132063

Today, Chris and I collaborated on a logo design that we think will be the next BlahCade logo.

We're pretty happy with it. But the big question is...

... Would I buy a shirt with this logo on it?

Your honest and constructive feedback is appreciated.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Was it a deliberate choice this looks like an angry face when looking from far away?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Really unsure about that orange maybe it’s just the shade, how about a nice deep purple still stands out well

tango.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
First off, nothing is ever final until it's final. We just want to know if you all like this direction. As for color choice, if you look at virtually any fast food or gas station sign as you drive next time, almost all feature one or a mix of orange, blue, red, and yellow. Red didn't look good to us, blue was too boring, and yellow doesn't translate well quite often. Orange is fire, is alive, vibrant, hard to ignore, and yet easy on the eyes for clarity.

And yes, we saw the face and kinda liked it!

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Try not to base your choices of cheap convenient 5 min quick stop shops heh, your more coffee donuts and an hour long chat...so dr Phil that ****

In terms of colour psychology those places you wanna get in and out in five minutes with no eye contact...I guess I’m saying if that’s your line of thinking in terms of style think more comfy chairs good food and company....no candles tho it’d just be akward...

Just throwing stuff out there less warning sign more safe place where everybody knows yer name.

Or just carry on I’m no artist haha

Maybe use the more alarming version if you have 5-10 minute sound bites like announcements or quick updates

What would I know good luck boys still been tangoed

This is all assuming the “official” logo will be changed and it’s not just for shirts and the like

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.