PC - Bug Automatic tilt by pressing flippers?

Striker

May 26, 2017
I played EBD for the first time in over a month today. The first time I press either flipper, the game does an instant hard tilt, as if I violently shook the machine. One tap = tilt.

I checked keyboard settings to verify the nudge settings were not accidentally assigned to the flippers.

Anyone else experience this?

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
No, just tested it both with Keyboard and XBox 360 Controller, no problems. Is this the only table where you're experiencing this? Have you tried setting the controls back to default settings?

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Yes, I've seen this. It's an extension of the Fathom Bug. To 'fix' it you have to reboot TPA anytime you play Fathom.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Yes, I've seen this. It's an extension of the Fathom Bug. To 'fix' it you have to reboot TPA anytime you play Fathom.

Jeez-o-pete. Seeing these kinds of things (seem to pop up around once every season) makes me shudder to think about what TPA's codebase must be like. There must be shared code that is getting updated for newer tables, and they are not [sufficiently] testing the older ones that use that same code.

Sharing of code is a good software practice, it makes support and retuning much easier. But if you aren't properly staffed to test for impact after you make changes, sometimes it may be better to lock things down and support multiple versions of the engine that ARE tested and stable.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
In this case, it's easy to see how this might happen: Eight Ball Deluxe and Xenon both use the same MPU as Fathom, so they probably tweaked something in the emulation. I wonder, does Centaur (also same MPU) exhibit similar behavior?

Jay

May 19, 2012
Great. Thanks FlippyFloppy. I just noticed the same thing. FWIW, I didn't notice it on any other EM tables; just Eight Ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.