Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: BlahCade Weekly Zen Tournament

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    FYI...tourney will be live once I redownload the game and get out of the beta. Takes a little while!

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Are we sure Doctor Strange wasn't wearing the Infinity Gauntlet because that table kicked a lot of butts!

1. TheHatchet18 143 million
    2. NimbleLee 93 million
    3. THELORD1976 63 million
    4. Xanija 60 million
    5. shuytertrap 32 million

This week we're gonna play Earth Defense, a table I've never quite been able to figure out but always wanted to. Playing in Classic mode, 3 balls, 10 attempts.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at RedBubble.com

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    xbox one
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, earth defense is now a very good table, more easy than the pf2 version. but it's difficult to find time to make your tourney with the 3 new SW tables which takes all my time to increase powers and begin to do good scoring.
    but your tourney is highly tempting.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    But since weíre playing classic mode, you donít have to worry about leveling up anything. So just squeeze in a few games and still play SW!

My Devices
    Nintendo Switch and a broken Xbox One which I hope to replace asap.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my faves!

I like the way you have been doing these. I find myself gravitating toward certain tournaments, one of them is yours. I think I like the attempt limits and the fact that it's mostly pinball fanatics playing lol. There are a couple of other weeklies I heard about from old friends on the Wii U I also typically play in, because I can on my xbox. Also, about once every few weeks I make a short 3 day one myself (always an old, classic table) to see how many play...I do this because I really like the Zen classic tables alot, and don't see alot of tourneys focused on the old classics
    Last edited by steven120566; 09-19-2018 at 07:27 AM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steven120566 View Post
    One of my faves!

I like the way you have been doing these. I find myself gravitating toward certain tournaments, one of them is yours. I think I like the attempt limits and the fact that it's mostly pinball fanatics playing lol. There are a couple of other weeklies I heard about from old friends on the Wii U I also typically play in, because I can on my xbox. Also, about once every few weeks I make a short 3 day one myself (always an old, classic table) to see how many play...I do this because I really like the Zen classic tables alot, and don't see alot of tourneys focused on the old classics
    If you ever want more players to join, just post a thread here. Thatís the purpose of it! I enjoy popping in on other tourneys when itís a recent table weíve played, just to see how I do against a completely different group of players. And I l-o-v-e play limits as itís the truest measure of skill.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun table, started to get the hang of it and posted 47M in tournament; went for a practice and after a few tries got 70M (currently good enough to get 2nd), back to the tourney, and best I got was 37M from my 5 remaining attempts.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbers View Post
    Fun table, started to get the hang of it and posted 47M in tournament; went for a practice and after a few tries got 70M (currently good enough to get 2nd), back to the tourney, and best I got was 37M from my 5 remaining attempts.
    Care to explain what your strategy for shot selection is? Iím still not even sure how to start modes up.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the start use upper right flipper on the way down because it seems to drain quite a lot from launching. Get pair of left/right ramps, hit flashing lane (if its the harder to hit one near the top I cradled the ball until it timed out and did another pair of ramps); then second pair of left/right ramps to light the airstrike sink hole - get the ball in there 3 times and starts mutiball, then bit of hit stuff to raise and then collect the jackpot. I didn't really aim for the mission hole, but just picked artillery if I started one as its just pick and hit a ramp to complete it.

Think most of the difference in my better scores is down to how much the jackpot got increased before collecting it - haven't had a game where I've started airstrike multiball more than once, I suspect the very high scores will need that.
    Last edited by wilbers; 09-19-2018 at 08:21 AM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    If you ever want more players to join, just post a thread here. That’s the purpose of it! I enjoy popping in on other tourneys when it’s a recent table we’ve played, just to see how I do against a completely different group of players. And I l-o-v-e play limits as it’s the truest measure of skill.
    Ok well thanks, I am not trying to promote my own tournaments but they are very low key, so I'll plug them this one time These are all 3 days and limited to OLDER tables. All classic mode 3ball, and 2 or 3 attempts. Occasionaly an older SW or Marvel but mostly Zens. I am on XBOX one:

Search --> MC Hannie B

If anyone still likes playing some classic Zen, look me up in the tourney section. Otherwise I will see you on this one.
    Last edited by steven120566; 09-19-2018 at 08:54 AM.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think I should have practised more before using my last 5 attempts - just got 89.6M, started airstrike multiball twice, and got as far as hitting the hole once to start it a third time.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed someone else had an Earth Defense tournament running. I ended up with 118.7M on first attempt, but that was with wizard powers although rewind only at level 2. Second attempt less than half that.

I'm definitely getting better at this. Just tried single ball challenge as I hadn't got to level 15 - finished at 127.4M and 53 on the leaderboards which could well be the highest place I've got on any of the leaderboards.
    Last edited by wilbers; 09-19-2018 at 03:54 PM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Having now played it this week, I really feel Earth Defense is a swing and a miss. It has a lot of things going for it, but even after reading the rules and semi understanding what to do, the insert lights and where to shoot feels very cryptic. Everything is symbols on the table, and the inserts for goals to complete don't stand out at all. Getting a ball to that upper flipper to shoot the ramp is also very difficult to do, and then the actual flip to it is no easy task either. Unfortunately that's the sort of thing that would need a table redesign. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

1. Pinballwiz45b 283 million
    2. TritiumLUPsClub 279 million
    3. Johni3w6 223 million
    4. H8Red 179 million
    5. XAF//SMerrell>> 86 million

For this week's table, and I can't believe I didn't think to do this the other week, we'll be playing Aliens vs Predator. Anyone see The Predator? I enjoyed it but thought it was a movie that happened to have a predator in it rather than being a predator movie (if that makes sense). You get 5 attempts, 2 score buffs, no wizard help. Now get to da choppa and play!
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having now played it this week, I really feel Earth Defense is a swing and a miss. It has a lot of things going for it, but even after reading the rules and semi understanding what to do, the insert lights and where to shoot feels very cryptic. Everything is symbols on the table, and the inserts for goals to complete don't stand out at all. Getting a ball to that upper flipper to shoot the ramp is also very difficult to do, and then the actual flip to it is no easy task either. Unfortunately that's the sort of thing that would need a table redesign. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

1. Pinballwiz45b 283 million
    2. TritiumLUPsClub 279 million
    3. Johni3w6 223 million
    4. H8Red 179 million
    5. XAF//SMerrell>> 86 million

For this week's table, and I can't believe I didn't think to do this the other week, we'll be playing Aliens vs Predator. Anyone see The Predator? I enjoyed it but thought it was a movie that happened to have a predator in it rather than being a predator movie (if that makes sense). You get 5 attempts, 2 score buffs, no wizard help. Now get to da choppa and play!
    No tournament from SYT this week. My week is ruined.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steven120566 View Post
    No tournament from SYT this week. My week is ruined.
    Dammit, dammit, dammit! I totally forgot to set it up, didn't I? No worries, we'll just do a 3 day tourney. But first, here's the results for AvP...

1. TritiumLUPsClub 367 million
    2. ekehtapa64 202 million
    3. skyway73 199 million
    4. shutyertrap 187 million
    5. pinballr 128 million

Okay, boy I wish I could go back in time and set up the tourney on Monday like I should have. Hmmm, what a great idea for a table theme! Let's play Back To The Future with only one ball, but you get to use the Wizard Rewind. 5 attempts should be plenty, right? Okay, see you all at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dammit, dammit, dammit! I totally forgot to set it up, didn't I? No worries, we'll just do a 3 day tourney. But first, here's the results for AvP...

1. TritiumLUPsClub 367 million
    2. ekehtapa64 202 million
    3. skyway73 199 million
    4. shutyertrap 187 million
    5. pinballr 128 million

Okay, boy I wish I could go back in time and set up the tourney on Monday like I should have. Hmmm, what a great idea for a table theme! Let's play Back To The Future with only one ball, but you get to use the Wizard Rewind. 5 attempts should be plenty, right? Okay, see you all at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance.
    LOL sorry I asked, I think that was my 3 worst games of BTTF ever!

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe your 4th or 5th attempts will be better.

I've had 2 goes so far and got 194M on my second try - know I can do better (possibly with a bit more luck than skill!!), used half the rewind power at the end failing to stop the ball draining down the middle.

Thanks for setting it up SYT, BttF is the most fun table I've played (haven't bought the Marvel tables yet so can't give an opinion on those - waiting for next 50%(ish) off sale and will buy everything (Williams pack is an exception, waiting for a 0% discount on that!)). Oddly enough I've been watching Supergirl lately and in the episode I watched today there was Back to the Future quote in it.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hehe, yeah for some reason it went 3 attempts instead of five. Not the first time thatís happened either and no doubt itís my error.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so it is. Got to over 200M on third go anyway so not terrible at least.

Is it just me, or does the end of ball score shown on the DMD not match the (much smaller) score that gets added to the total?

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I did 3 terrible games in a row, and then played on my own and did really good on my first ball. Figures.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a 3 ball game as well (with wizard rewind, multi-ball bonus, and time saver), got over 1B, and first time I started all 6 year modes (just didn't finish the last one to get to wizard mode) which is 2 further than I've got before - still not in top 300 for the table though! Can't see that the end of ball bonus score is added to the total - can easily be 10s millions if the multiplier is at 8 or 10.

Edit : had another go today on same settings and made it to wizard mode, and got to the 5th year going through them a second time, ended up with over 1.6B which is in top 100.
    Last edited by wilbers; 10-05-2018 at 03:07 AM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So who besides me wants to go back in time and post a much better score on Back to the Future? Here's your top five...

1. jwillan 215 million
    2. JasonVoorhees>>GER<< 201 million
    3. zmcvay 167 million
    4. Andin83 141 million
    5. V-Hannity 137 million

This week it's once again my favorite thing to do, a movie tie-in tournament! Unfortunately for me, the Venom table is a complete mystery to me with a very odd table layout. So for selfish reasons, we'll be playing classic 3 ball, extra balls included, and a very generous 10 attempts. Good? Good.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Steam, PS4, iPad
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately for me, the Venom table is a complete mystery to me with a very odd table layout.
    It feels a bit experimental, I don't like how the different parts of the table don't feel connected. My tips are to master getting the ball past the WEB Vari-targets. Get that down and you have an infinite ball save. Easiest way to safely get points is the Jailbreak mini-table that can be reached by spelling CARNAGE on the lower ramp. Multi-ball is also worth a lot, you can lock a ball by only spelling 2-3 SUIT letters, but if you get all four it activates kickback in 1 outlane. Getting to the wizard mode is hard, mainly because of the Planet of the Symbiotes mode, which is tough to activate (inlane to light an ALIEN lane on the upper table for a few seconds. I believe you have to do this five times) and tough to beat (Complete the WEB, GOO, and SUIT targets under a harsh time limit)

My Devices
    PS4 PS3 Vita iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zmcvay View Post
    My tips are to master getting the ball past the WEB Vari-targets. Get that down and you have an infinite ball save
    Yup. That's why I can't play this table, completely ruined by this. 😟

My Devices
    PS4, iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Venom FAQ:

What is there to do on this table?

A: Carnage.

What's up with these SUIT targets?

Should I play through the main modes or go mess around with whatever the hell is happening on the top level?

Why are there double flippers up there with nothing to aim for?

Is that a bell?

So the only thing that really gives you points on this table is...

Seriously why didn't they just make this a Carnage table?

A: Good question. Also, Carnage.
    psn: dirtyepic_sk

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast