PC/Steam issues

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
We've all been waiting for Ghostbusters for so long and it's finally here on the PC via Steam. Though, it's unplayable for me. The sound stutters, and the ball is so slow, and flippers don't respond well. So, I checked the CPU usage....99% when playing GB! Wow! I own all the other Farsight tables in TPA and SPA, none of them use more than 20% CPU (including Mustang, AC/DC, Star Trek). So, what's the problem with Ghostbusters?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
40% on my i7-2600+6Gb GTX 1060, but I'm getting a rock solid 60fps at 2160x3840 (downscaled to 1080x1920).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Wonder how my ageing 3770k and 980 gtx will go :confused:

Your 3770k is at least as good if not better than my 2600.
And your 980 gtx is definitely better than my 1060 (which is roughly on a par with a 970).

You'll be good to go. Ramp up the DSR and have fun.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It completely crashes the game and quite often my computer. I'm talking about as soon as I try opening the table, not even getting a chance to push 'start'. In beta I had one time when it actually let me play it. Same thing happens in DX9. I'll have to look up how to check my CPU to see what happens. Here's the specs I'm running:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU
E8400@ 3GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 670

I've had zero issues with any past table either in TPA or SPA, nor any in Zen.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It completely crashes the game and quite often my computer. I'm talking about as soon as I try opening the table, not even getting a chance to push 'start'. In beta I had one time when it actually let me play it. Same thing happens in DX9. I'll have to look up how to check my CPU to see what happens. Here's the specs I'm running:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU
E8400@ 3GHz
8GB RAM
GTX 670

I've had zero issues with any past table either in TPA or SPA, nor any in Zen.
The Core 2 Duo is almost definitely the weak link there.

Windows Task Manager will show you CPU use.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The Core 2 Duo is almost definitely the weak link there.

Windows Task Manager will show you CPU use.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I'm also wondering how much of it is a Windows 10 issue. Currently going through a whole CPU optimization check list I found online. CPU issue does highlight why the DX9 version is also wonking out on me, as I couldn't believe it was a graphics issue.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm also wondering how much of it is a Windows 10 issue. Currently going through a whole CPU optimization check list I found online. CPU issue does highlight why the DX9 version is also wonking out on me, as I couldn't believe it was a graphics issue.
I'm on Windows 10. Core 2 Duo is at least 10 years old and as the name implies is 2 cores. Most modern high end CPUs are 4+ cores.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well, after doing some CPU optimization, I actually got the thing running for a game. And yeah, it was showing 95-99% CPU usage. Stopped GB and it dropped to 8%. That's plain nuts.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Well, after doing some CPU optimization, I actually got the thing running for a game. And yeah, it was showing 95-99% CPU usage. Stopped GB and it dropped to 8%. That's plain nuts.

Looks like it's time for a CPU upgrade..Even thinking about upgrading my 5 year old 3770k soon...Perhaps the 8600k or the 8700k when they have more supply is what I am looking at... 6 core goodness ;)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Looks like it's time for a CPU upgrade..Even thinking about upgrading my 5 year old 3770k soon...Perhaps the 8600k or the 8700k when they have more supply is what I am looking at... 6 core goodness ;)
I know from experience having upgraded from a Core 2 Duo six years ago, a new motherboard will be needed for any newer CPU. Also, you will likely need new (DDR4) memory.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Ball stucked with 16 Billion in ball 1. Call Attendant does not work. Very lucky that the leaderboards are broken too... :)

gb.jpg

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
I know from experience having upgraded from a Core 2 Duo six years ago, a new motherboard will be needed for any newer CPU. Also, you will likely need new (DDR4) memory.

Yep you are right...Need a new motherboard and DDR4 memory as well..Won't be cheap :(

curtis

Aug 30, 2015

Agreed!
My pinball cabinet has similar specs: Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.1GHz, 4GB, GTX750Ti, which plays all FX2/FX3, TPA, SPA, FuturePin, etc tables just fine. Sure it's an 'older' PC, but above the minimum and recommended specs as stated by Farsight for TPA or SPA. Also, others have stated a significant jump in CPU usage even on high-end CPUs. So, it seems there's something amiss with Ghostbusters.

John Solitude

Jul 26, 2013
We've all been waiting for Ghostbusters for so long and it's finally here on the PC via Steam. Though, it's unplayable for me. The sound stutters, and the ball is so slow, and flippers don't respond well. So, I checked the CPU usage....99% when playing GB! Wow! I own all the other Farsight tables in TPA and SPA, none of them use more than 20% CPU (including Mustang, AC/DC, Star Trek). So, what's the problem with Ghostbusters?

I'm playing Ghostbusters on Steam, Pinball Arcade platform, Windows 10 laptop, with only a Intel I5 processor, 8 GB of Ram and a low level Radeon graphics card and no problems what so ever. At the time I also installed the Stern platform on the same laptop, but it regularly gave me problems: game not even starting up or locking up my laptop, sometimes it got through and then the game was lagging... i've given up on the Stern platform. Played Ghostbusters right away on the Pinball Arcade platform on Steam and works fine. I don't even know why they developed a different platform for Stern tables, as most of the tables except for Mustang and Star Trek were already available on the Pinball Arcade platform, but if you ask me the Stern pinball platform is far more demanding on the system and still needs a lot of bugs sorted out.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm playing Ghostbusters on Steam, Pinball Arcade platform, Windows 10 laptop, with only a Intel I5 processor, 8 GB of Ram and a low level Radeon graphics card and no problems what so ever. At the time I also installed the Stern platform on the same laptop, but it regularly gave me problems: game not even starting up or locking up my laptop, sometimes it got through and then the game was lagging... i've given up on the Stern platform. Played Ghostbusters right away on the Pinball Arcade platform on Steam and works fine. I don't even know why they developed a different platform for Stern tables, as most of the tables except for Mustang and Star Trek were already available on the Pinball Arcade platform, but if you ask me the Stern pinball platform is far more demanding on the system and still needs a lot of bugs sorted out.

Are you using Windows 10? I just upgraded to Creator's version and have come across a host of web posts regarding it's high CPU usage. That being said, GB still has a significant jump all its own.

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
So... I just had to play Ghostbusters on my cabinet. Thus, I've upgraded my old Core2Duo to a quad core i5. Ghostbusters still uses 40% of the CPU, but at least I can play it!! Formslinger's Pinball Wicked obviously runs better, too. Yay!

Members online

Members online