Strategies Thread

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
Strategies, you say? Is that even possible on this table?

I'm by no means an expert at it but I'm really enjoying playing this one. I'm a bit of a sucker for EMs and this one is a beast with that 200k being on par with Central Park's goals. I have managed to figure out a few little tricks on this one to allow me to at least be consistently average. My high game so far is 140k with a high ball of 84k. I can generally average 25-30k per ball.

1) The green-lit bumper is a must on each plunge. Give it a nudge up as it rolls by and you should get it. If you don't get the green bumpers lit, don't even consider getting a high score. The 100pt/pop on the lower bumper alone will get you several thousand in the course of a ball.

2) Flailing is deadly. Often, as with pinball in general, letting the ball bounce around a bit is far less dangerous than flailing at it. Use the tips of your flippers to place the ball to the centre of the lower bumper and let it pop up into the 5 or 6 while hoping you don't get an outlane drain. I also use a left or right nudge from the lower bumper to get a nice vertical bounce. This is also useful on the horseshoe shot: give a little side nudge as it comes out to get the ball centred on the bottom bumper.

3) If the ball is headed to the lower bumper do not touch the flippers. You're just asking for one of the under-flipper drains.

4) As noted in another thread one of the best strategies is to light 4, 5, or 6 of the lamps then keep shooting the middle hole. It's the only real way to rack up big points quickly. Save the special for after a few hole shots as it sends you back to 500 points per shot to the hole and resets all lamps.

5) The hole kickout is controllable. I find it has a couple of speeds seemingly based on how hard you shoot the ball into the hole. There are several options: if the ball comes out soft you can either cradle it on the right flipper for a shot back to the centre hole or let it bounce across to the left flipper and/or lower bumper. Otherwise, if the ball comes out hot you should be able to one-time it back up to the top right of the playfield. With the green bumpers lit and some good ricochets this should be able to net you a thousand or two and is a good way to relight the number lamps if needed.

6) ABCDE rollovers are very difficult to complete so don't push for them, just let them happen naturally if they happen at all. However they do present good points if completed.

I hope that will help some people out a bit. I'm still struggling to get the 200k but maybe one day!

Pod

Aug 10, 2012
Top score of 166 so far (65 on one ball)

The centre kick out seems to have 3 types.
Shallow goes near the tip of the flipper. This is best to dead pass I think.
Mid goes to the middle of the flipper and can be backhanded back to the top. Be careful though. Flip a tiny bit early and it'll go straight into the right outlane. Flip a tiny bit late and it'll hit the horseshoe and then go down the outlane.
Steep hits right at the top of the flipper. This is the most risky. A dead bounce might end up down the centre but trying to control it can lead to a right outlane.

If there is a strategy to 200k its probably going to involve combining these 3 kickouts with timed nudges to produce easy ish returns to the hole. As yet I haven't found them.
Also, trying to hit the center hole from a full trap is pretty much a frame perfect shot I find. Both early and late leads to outlane drains :(

Pod

Aug 10, 2012
178k is now my best. 4th ball scored a measly 1.5k :(

I've also managed a new 1 ball total of 75k but not in the same game

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.