Nintendo Switch version

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
Has anyone bought this? Came out (in the UK) today.

I didn’t pre-order, first time I haven’t bought a Farsight product immediately. After all these years and hundreds of pounds, they’ve lost my faith.

Still interested to hear impressions though.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
I am as well. Definitely not jumping out of the gate on this one.

Right now, can't see anything about a release state-side.

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
I’ve caved and ordered this. I’ll let you know what it’s like on Monday evening, when I pick it up.

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
So, just got this through the post.

Hmmmm, seems very good. Only tried handheld mode.

I’ve tried Ghostbusters and Mustang - and they seem to be working as they should, although I’m not a table expert, just a Farsight sim expert if you see what I mean.

The ball is shinier than PS4 version which I like. This is the same as the console versions, not iOS version btw.

Load times are long and there are no online scoreboards.

Otherwise, could well be my fave version. Love it so far.

I’ll check out the other tables for any classic Farsight klangers, but seems a very good version. Woo!

daduki

Feb 17, 2013
Thanks for the feedback Kramer!
Does it work also in tate (portrait) mode? If so, what about the controls?

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Yes, thanks for the update. How many tables does the release come with? Also, what is the "WOW!" factor compared to Pinball Arcade?

This article indicates it might be released on 12/12 in the US.

Last edited:

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
It doesn’t have tate mode.

Have to say - seems good all round. Seen a few other impressions from other people on forums and they’re of the same opinion as me.

I’d like a couple more camera options, but this is the same as PS4 - so that’s not gonna happen, I assume.

It has 11 tables - all the tables up to and including Ghostbusters.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
It doesn’t have tate mode.

Have to say - seems good all round. Seen a few other impressions from other people on forums and they’re of the same opinion as me.

I’d like a couple more camera options, but this is the same as PS4 - so that’s not gonna happen, I assume.

It has 11 tables - all the tables up to and including Ghostbusters.
When you say "good all around", which seems to be quite remarkable for a Farsight release these days, is it WOW good visually, or just pretty good and not an upgrade from Pinball Arcade in general. There is a lot of reproduction in this release.

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
When you say "good all around", which seems to be quite remarkable for a Farsight release these days, is it WOW good visually, or just pretty good and not an upgrade from Pinball Arcade in general. There is a lot of reproduction in this release.

I’ve been playing most evenings - personally, I’m very happy with it. Seems like the first time I have been genuinely pleased with a Farsight product on release.

The graphics look the same as the PS4 version, lower res because I’m playing on handheld and haven’t tried docked. I assume 720 instead of 1080. It has the lighting sliders, but I can’t make the contrast as harsh as I can on PS4, purely because I don’t have the TV controls on handheld.

It’s not WOW (?!) but it’s very good. It’s the PS4 version on a Switch, not the lower quality iOS version.

It’s subjective - so I wouldn’t want to push you into purchasing anything - but just think ‘console version on Switch’. If that’s what you want, that’s what it is.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Thanks for the comments. Gives a good baseline on what I'm willing to pay for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
I got a hardcopy of the Switch version last Friday. Just played a couple of times in Handheld mode.
Did not try on TV yet, nor did I upgrade to the latest version.
I am used to the iPad version.

The overall game looks good in handheld mode, hard to tell about the details.
I have not noticed any framedrops or stuttering while testing AC/DC and Ghostbusters.
Loading times are poor compared to the iPad. 30 to 40 seconds per table on the Switch. And over 20 seconds to load the main menu when leaving a table.
I miss the leaderboards and cannot sign into my account at all, maybe this comes with an update.

daduki

Feb 17, 2013
I got a hardcopy of the Switch version last Friday. Just played a couple of times in Handheld mode.
Did not try on TV yet, nor did I upgrade to the latest version.
I am used to the iPad version.

The overall game looks good in handheld mode, hard to tell about the details.
I have not noticed any framedrops or stuttering while testing AC/DC and Ghostbusters.
Loading times are poor compared to the iPad. 30 to 40 seconds per table on the Switch. And over 20 seconds to load the main menu when leaving a table.
I miss the leaderboards and cannot sign into my account at all, maybe this comes with an update.

May I ask you a simple test?
In AC/DC, if you hold both flippers for a couple of seconds are the instant info showing up? It's still an open bug on PS4 so I was wondering if they have fixed it at last.
Thanks!

Cowboy

Feb 23, 2012
Is this going to be cartridge only with DLC or will it be available to buy digitally ?

Look forward to hearing more, seems like a very good platform for pinball !

Kramer

Apr 23, 2012
Is this going to be cartridge only with DLC or will it be available to buy digitally ?

Look forward to hearing more, seems like a very good platform for pinball !

Both. It’s released digitally today on eshop and has been available on cartridge for over a week.

Really loving this version - just need to add online leaderboards.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014

It looks like the mobile version, not like the PS4/Steam version.

I've only tested Frankenstein but it runs well. I'm skeptical of trying the more expensive tables. I've been burned before, Farsight.

Why no vertical mode? Even Pinball FX3 has one.

Yeah, and the vertical mode is nice but Pinball FX3 runs at 30fps in handheld vs 60fps docked and the difference is huge. It sucks.

daduki

Feb 17, 2013
It looks like the mobile version, not like the PS4/Steam version.

I've only tested Frankenstein but it runs well. I'm skeptical of trying the more expensive tables. I've been burned before, Farsight.

Yeah, and the vertical mode is nice but Pinball FX3 runs at 30fps in handheld vs 60fps docked and the difference is huge. It sucks.

It's definitely on par with the PS4/XBone version. On mobile/tablet there are none of the lighting effects you can see on the Switch version.
I was skeptical but I have to say that it runs admirably well especially in undocked mode (I tried only Frankenstein). I agree when you say that Pinball FX3 it's terrible in handheld mode, the ball movement is not fluid.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
I played Frankenstein a little, but was playing it on handheld and I just don't like the experience of pinball on a small screen. Way too crowded and not pleasant. I'll give it a try on the big screen soon.

Members online

Members online