Playing PC/PS4 Games on iPad

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
For anyone who has been reading and were thinking about getting R-Play, they've just announced that they're switching to a free app with subscription (yearly) on June 3. Anyone who buys the app before June 3 will have a fully-functional app, and anyone after June 3 will be able to try it out before subscribing. Glad I bought now!

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
Before pulling the trigger on this app, I looked online for information about their changing monetization. I couldn't find anything, and that's because this message is only available as an in-app notice for people who already purchased it. For those who haven't bought in yet, here's what it says:

Important announcement for all R-Play users

Please be advised that on 3rd June 2018, R-Play will transition from being a one-off paid app to subscription based (the app will be free to download but will require a yearly subscription in order to use it). The primary reason for this change is to enable us to offer a free trial of R-Play, so that prospective users may download and evaluate the app before committing to paying for it. This is important because remote play performance is highly dependent on the quality of each individual user’s home network connection, so with the ability to test the app for free users can determine if the app is going to work acceptably or not under their own unique network conditions.

Any users who have already purchased R-Play from the App Store before this transition will continue to have access to all future updates without requiring a subscription (subscription will only be required for those who download R-Play for the first time after the transition date).

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That makes sense. I haven’t had a chance to play with it for a couple days, so this is the first I’d heard of the news.

Hopefully this doesn’t draw any negative attention from Apple after their recent stance on the Steam app, but at least they’ll still be making a profit in this instance.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/26/apple-works-with-valve-on-steam-link-ios/

I guess there’s hope, but it’s going to be a huge pain in the ass for Valve to make it work. The app streams Steam directly from your PC, so they can’t just change the iOS app itself and call it a day. They have to make a separate interface on the PC side specifically for streaming to iOS devices, so yeah, not fun or ideal for Valve at all. I’m honestly kind of hoping they just tell Apple to shove it which will hopefully lead to Apple easing their policy, but that’s just me dreaming. It is pretty ridiculous that there are already a zillion Remote Desktop apps out there, yet now they draw the line. It just makes them look bad at the end of the day and really makes me consider buying a laptop instead of another iPad when the time comes.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Wow, the yearly fee for R-Play is just a little bit cheaper than the price of the app was before. Definitely glad I picked this up before it went to a subscription!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts