BlahCade 122: A Very Herculean Festivus

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
http://blahcadepinball.com/2017/12/24/Episode-122-A-Very-Herculean-Festivus.html

A quick movie synopsis from Chris leads us into a deep dive into the newest tables released by Zen Studios.
Then Chris shares his thoughts on playing Zen on iOS.
Finally, Jared talks about the new old pinball he has to restore: it’s huge!
This is the final podcast for the year, so fill up on Turkey and get listening.

And, for those of you who've left comments or retweeted us, thanks for your support this year!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Just gonna give this a bump and add my two cents to what Jared has said. We really do appreciate any and all the interactions that happen via Twitter, comments here, or via email. Despite seeing our listenership numbers, sometimes it can feel like operating in a vacuum. That's fine and all, but we like being social!

See you all in the new year, we should have a pop in with one of the guys from FarSight fairly soon to look forward to.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I totally agree with this B/S about Zen having different apps on mobile and pricing them differently. I hate having to start different apps for the same game. Also Zen could really be better on timing with explanations within the game (I ran into the same issue with the Adventureland table as you Chris - thought I need to kick off the ball from the carousel. Still haven't figured it out though.

By the way, usually I'm listening to the podcast when I don't have time to comment (i.e. using your podcast as a bedtime-story, haha), that's why I rarely send any comments.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I enjoy your podcasts, I'm usually more for the Farsight TPA/SPA discussions more than anything.

We’ve kinda been a bit Zen heavy of late because that’s where the interesting stuff has been happening. Just got a Nintendo Switch so hopefully I’ll be able to try out both SPA and Zen on it and mention what I think. That is if I can get my son off the thing for me to even download the games!

greatdane

Feb 19, 2015
Long time listener here.

Your podcast recently had the effect on me that I had to buy some Zen tables in the Steam sale just to see what the fuss was all about. I am currently playing it more than Pinball Arcade, since the last table releases have seemed boring to me. In the past I have tried Zen several times but the ball physics just felt so wrong to me. They are still not realistic but a lot better on some tables. I don't even play on real tables (sadly there are no pinball tables near to me here in Denmark) so I am no expert on "real" physics", but I guess the eye spots these things easily.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Long time listener here.

Your podcast recently had the effect on me that I had to buy some Zen tables in the Steam sale just to see what the fuss was all about. I am currently playing it more than Pinball Arcade, since the last table releases have seemed boring to me. In the past I have tried Zen several times but the ball physics just felt so wrong to me. They are still not realistic but a lot better on some tables. I don't even play on real tables (sadly there are no pinball tables near to me here in Denmark) so I am no expert on "real" physics", but I guess the eye spots these things easily.
Good on you for broadening your pinball horizons!

If you remember that Zen's mission is to tell a story using a Pinball aesthetic, you begin to realise that physics isn't really the main focus.

Give it time. Oh and make sure you join in the BlahCade tournaments that Chris runs. They are a great way to get into the Zen way of pinball.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I am currently playing it more than Pinball Arcade, since the last table releases have seemed boring to me. In the past I have tried Zen several times but the ball physics just felt so wrong to me.

I agree that the 'feel' of Zen is slightly off, but when I play it a lot I kinda forget about that and just accept it as normal. As soon as I play a TPA table though, the world goes back into proper alignment! So if I plan on playing both games in a session, I always start with Zen.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
If you want the brutal experience: Play a few tables of Zen, after that Pinball Arcade, then Pro Pinball and last, not least, Zaccaria on simulation mode. :D

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
I enjoy SOZ better than Adventure Land, also the music reminds me of Biolab, which I'm not a big fan of that table, though it has grown on me a bit.

What annoys me more than that mini game of trying to get the ride going in a circle, is the shot off the upper right flipper and I always seem to miss that ramp.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.