Fishtales (blah blah blah)

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
i did not get much traction or response on the last table i shared (Jurassic park ) but anyway here is another.. i will post a video of gameplay when i can upload it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr8sE8Gid_M

ss1.jpg

here is a link to the installer :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pKGOkN85Zj9Jd8pjDWegAAC2ccp8Bbea

This tables is difficult , even in the video i made i manged to get to mutiball twice but failed to get jackpots. For testing purposes i had some hidden colliders to prevent draining and others. I left them in and they are assigned to keys on the keyboard only. The readme will tell you which keys.

I'm struggling with the orbit shots , specifically the left orbit. If you get a chance to try it out some feedback would be great. Having a thread with 100's of views and only one response is not very encouraging ;) no offense just saying.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Fish Tales is one of the best reproductions already in TPA. And yep, it's hard. If they did a physics pass like they did with T2 it would be even more brutal.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I know it’s a simple click to shoot deal, but I really enjoy the video mode in Fish Tales. And I usually don’t like video modes.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Fish Tales is one of my favorites in TPA and for real tables. I find the left orbit is easiest to make when the ball is coming to the right flipper exiting from the entrance to the right orbit, or from the cross ramp. Backhanding it up into the left orbit with the left flipper is always fun too, though much easier in TPA than the real thing.

Last edited:

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
I'm not a big fan of DMD's partially because of the start and stop nature of a lot of them....scoop/kick out holes, video modes, and the rulesets. However, Fishtales was the first DMD that got me hooked and is a great machine. Among DMD's, Fishtales, T2, and Attack from Mars are really the only essential ones for me. There are some other decent ones, but if I had a private collection, those three would represent the DMD segment and most others would be 80's solid-states and 70's EM's. I don't have much hands on with modern Sterns, so maybe I'm missing out there.

Everything in Fishtales works, and shows how a great machine doesn't need a license (also Attack from Mars). T2 on the other hand, shows how a license can be used to maximum great effect.

Also got a lot of time in with Fishtales back in the day, as my friend was very good at it and it seemed to be easily found on location (outside of arcades).

Last edited:

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
i obviously dont have real world physics so i had to play around with the settings to get it to at least play semi decent, the right orbit was not feeding the right flipper well so i moved out one of the orbit start rubbers ever so slightly so the ball hits it and it now feeds the left flipper. when returning from the boat it is so fast i end up shooting to boat again or brick the shot to the pegs will see if i can get some better settings, currently it is very difficult for me to get the left orbit on dial, even from a trapped ball.

I agree fishtales is one of the best looking tables on TPA.

Last edited:

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
i changed up the friction ( read made it less ) of the rubber on flippers and the other rubber physics material i use, anyway it changed the shot angle dramatically, there is now much more modulation on the flipper length and torque. Previously the boat house shot was on the very end of the flipper you could not really even make shots to the stand up target except when the ball was falling off the flipper. Now the boat house/casters club shot is moved back much more and the new modulation includes shots to the stand up targets. The Left orbit is also much better for me now. Somehow the higher friction values were not good for the physics engine . It treated rubber well at slow angles and on contact, but at the sacrifice of less modulation to the flippers at high speed. Sure the ball now does not grip as much at slow speeds and bumps like it used to but the shot angle thing was worth the trade off.

The new file is busy uploading , it will be on the same link. happy new year

EDIT: ok i keep getting an error while trying to upload, not the files's problem an ISP problem, so I just stopped trying to update it for now , i will give a heads up post when i do get it uploaded

EDIT 2 ok the new files are available now

Last edited:

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
i updated the fist post with a gameplay video now ;)

I also rebuilt and published all 4 my games using the newest version of Unity and i changed the installer to sniff for if you have vpinmame already installed and will not overwrite any of its contents if it find it ,will only dump rom in the roms folder. I also added a menu option to push the backboard to a second display if you have one. I improved the nudge and also added an menu option to invert the ball direction on nudge should you want to use that.

pinball fishtales
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fUFF4hTIBqbYJkHdCY9SDpOi8QMtcN-z

pinball jurassicpark
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lQviDbw-Ef-uKNTdnlaTTYztSY_pG94z

tommy pinball
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LX16kgzZOi8T0KjxVlI-CTX5k277WF3J

pinball elvis
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ouzV2sqQPBtACVLWjdZjcvBlhyuGZyn_

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
[MENTION=4631]wizard33[/MENTION] while this is possible in unity , it is not possible for this project as im using vpinmame emulator to emulate the roms and this is windows only. sorry nothing i can do about that.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Just want to chime in to tell you that I'm a huge fan of your work.
I used to have a lot of fun with your Elvis and Tommy versions.
Would love to play your new customizations and tables
but I currently don't have a real Windows partition. I work on Linux
and run Windows as a VM in Virtualbox. I hope you get more and more attention.
Maybe you want to join the blahcade podcast sometime and talk about your
digital recreations and South Africa in general. You certainly have a lot to tell.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.