Ask Me Almost Anything

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I'm willing to answer reasonable art related questions you have. I'm a generalist which means I model, texture, photograph etc.

What kind of lighting setup do you use when you photograph? a few, much older, tables turned out super orange in the past.

Gnqgqy3.jpg

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
What kind of lighting setup do you use when you photograph? a few, much older, tables turned out super orange in the past.

https://i.imgur.com/Gnqgqy3.jpg

Wow, I had to check if that was really the playfield texture... Our lighting setup isn't amazing actually, it's what you do with the photographs in post that make all the difference. It begins in camera RAW with lens corrections, noise reduction and color corrections, then I crop and alter the perspective so straight lines are horizontal and vertical. More color correction in photoshop, depending on the complexity of the artwork I might outline all the black with color detection and pen strokes for the lines then I'll paint in all the flat matte colors that need touch-up and for everything else a mix of brush strokes and clone stamping. After all that I give it a final noise and slight blur pass so as to reduce the CG effect and make it look more realistic.

I think cactus canyon was photographed with an 8-bit camera, we have several DSLRs now that shoot 14-bit (the difference being 256 possible colors versus 4 trillion colors per pixel). Everything gets baked down to 8-bit, but having 14-bit to edit with is helpful to insure the final product looks good.

To bake the lighting I use TURTLE renderer which supports baking directly to the UV space, shadows, global illumination and final gather. I take the separate layers, color correct them till they match my reference images.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
I know during one of the Blahcade podcasts they discussed Monster Bash and that many at Farsight felt they could improve the look of the toys on the table, any chance seeing that done soon?

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
I know during one of the Blahcade podcasts they discussed Monster Bash and that many at Farsight felt they could improve the look of the toys on the table, any chance seeing that done soon?
It's true we could, but I don't make the decisions if we should or not. We started doing photogrammetry for all the complex figurines which takes about 90 photos taken around the object and creates a good base model and texture that we then cleanup and optimize. Before I think they either got CAD files or modeled the figures by hand.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
Also about Monster Bash, its playfield texutres in DX11 look unsaturated compared to DX9, is that on the docket?

This table is weird, a lot of the high res textures are completely different from the lower res ones... I'll mention we should redo this table next. No promises though.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.