Ask Me Almost Anything

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't decide how DX11 is lit, I just put lights where they belong on the table... I guess we need an overhead light for all tables, but I'm not sure how that would work or if our lighting engine can do that, but going forward I will take all of this into consideration for future tables. Lighting takes a bit of time and it's a major hit on performance on some platforms so I can't go adding new DX11 lights.

No no, not overhead lighting! The lights on the table itself need to have a further throw or something. Look at this pic of a real table in dark room lighting:

hqdefault.jpg

You see how the white insert is casting light up to the boxer so he's fully illuminated? That's what I'm talking about. This has nothing to do with lighting coming from overhead or outside the table. General illumination lights on a table are there for that exact purpose, to light up the table so you can see what's going on. I don't know what the lighting engine you guys use does in terms of interacting with other elements on the table or if it's even 3 dimensional in the light it casts. That's why I'm saying in some instances you might need to bake in artificial light when the table lighting isn't quite doing what it should.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
No no, not overhead lighting! The lights on the table itself need to have a further throw or something. Look at this pic of a real table in dark room lighting:

View attachment 222

You see how the white insert is casting light up to the boxer so he's fully illuminated? That's what I'm talking about. This has nothing to do with lighting coming from overhead or outside the table. General illumination lights on a table are there for that exact purpose, to light up the table so you can see what's going on. I don't know what the lighting engine you guys use does in terms of interacting with other elements on the table or if it's even 3 dimensional in the light it casts. That's why I'm saying in some instances you might need to bake in artificial light when the table lighting isn't quite doing what it should.

Oh I see, I thought you meant the tables were dark overall, but you just mean certain aspects or figures are. I think because those figures move they don't receive light from the DX11 lights and it's up to our programmers to set the light values for them, not sure how that works.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Oh, that reminds me of this age-old issue: Wrong Judge Dredd texture around the DMD.

vRMSTf9.jpg

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Matt...Sorcerer needs work on mobile. Chrome textures are white, left ramp looks dull, cutouts are dim when lit, transparent covers look milky white, lower backbox and back of playfield cabinet missing textures, etc.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
How bad of shape was their Sorcerer in?

HAiJYFR.png

Williams Collection vs TPA, curious where Williams assets were sourced from, lots of small differences that don't mirror what google images come up with.

vs it's Flyer

vs someone elses sorcerer

The beard gets absolutely murdered.

kf2ipk0.jpg

picture in picture comparison

What might be causing that clamping? Can you get them to stop doing it?

playfield from TPA (unmodified)
some visual artifacts from imgur

Last edited:

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
I looked at Sorcerer tonight and fixed the red posts and the rubber just being matte colors. I didn't work on that table at all, I'll take a look at how the original photo of the playfield was processed. We used 2 tables from Banning and they were both in bad condition in different ways.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I checked on other tables that use halftone in TPA but didn't see any obvious problems in the past: Firepower II, F-14 Tomcat, and BSD.
QAixsww.jpg

example on BSD

I went back and looked at the plastics on Sorcerer (also have halftone) and they were just fine.

Just that beard is halftone shaded blue on grey.

Cyberleader63

Banned
Mar 28, 2014
Hello Matt,

Would you please pass on my thanks
To everyone at FarSight.
I now have sorcerer in my collection.
I’ve wanted it since the beginning, and it does not disappoint.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Just have to say I feel the Black Hole one really needs the fix. I get it might not be easy, but to me and I am sure many others it's important that it get fixed. It was good to start with. I see what you guys do at Farsight digitally preserving pinball machines as noble work the art of these games deserves the time and effort. Your imortalizing a piece of history detail counts. We as players/customers really hope the early games get the attention they deserve like the fantastic appearance of the season 8 tables. Keep up the great work Matt and thank you

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
Just have to say I feel the Black Hole one really needs the fix. I get it might not be easy, but to me and I am sure many others it's important that it get fixed. It was good to start with. I see what you guys do at Farsight digitally preserving pinball machines as noble work the art of these games deserves the time and effort. Your imortalizing a piece of history detail counts. We as players/customers really hope the early games get the attention they deserve like the fantastic appearance of the season 8 tables. Keep up the great work Matt and thank you

I fully understand your frustrations and I've been thinking it over and I think I have a solution that won't take too long, but I'll have to rebuild the playfield model and then test it to see if I didn't break the whole table by doing that since the playfield is a special sensitive object.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I fully understand your frustrations and I've been thinking it over and I think I have a solution that won't take too long, but I'll have to rebuild the playfield model and then test it to see if I didn't break the whole table by doing that since the playfield is a special sensitive object.

Thank you so much for trying. Really man you are very much appreciated, don't want to sound frustrated with you. So look forward to more of your work Sorcerer looks phenomenal on Steam

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I know about those sites, I use them myself, just wanted to hear what this board feels about it. And I was too lazy to look myself...
One table field that always been harder to read than the real table for me is TNG star trek table.

It is great to see work done on the old tables; a fix there, a fix here :)

Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.