BlahCade 126: Arcooda Video Pinball News

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
Banzai has been more fun for the programmers, but as an artist I had to do some fancy gimbal rotation tricks to get the flippers to work right.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
A new first for me - I listened to the podcast in my car. Made this morning's trip a bit less dull!
Whether it's on a train or in a car that's when the majority of my podcast listening happens.

It's such a great use of otherwise dead time.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Banzai has been more fun for the programmers, but as an artist I had to do some fancy gimbal rotation tricks to get the flippers to work right.
That does sound quite hard to get right.

How was the table condition? Did you have to do a heap of digital restoration on the Playfield?

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
That is so cool!
Shame you can't share that type of thing on the official socials.
Might make folks appreciate the work that goes into each release.

I want to start sending Mike things like this to show off on stream, been too busy with other stuff atm though.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I want to start sending Mike things like this to show off on stream, been too busy with other stuff atm though.

Im not sure how much work it would take but a side by side gif of the og pf and a slow trans of the revreation would be great, side by sides are one thing. Im not artist but itd be a nice 👍 nstant showing of the real wrk left hand side static the rght solowly transformed in 2 day or less incraments until it matches or exceeds the original.....again not anywhere near an artist and have no idea how time consuming itd be just sayin itd be really cool

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
Im not sure how much work it would take but a side by side gif of the og pf and a slow trans of the revreation would be great, side by sides are one thing. Im not artist but itd be a nice �� nstant showing of the real wrk left hand side static the rght solowly transformed in 2 day or less incraments until it matches or exceeds the original.....again not anywhere near an artist and have no idea how time consuming itd be just sayin itd be really cool

Like showing a progression of work done?

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
Pretty bad, though, nothing a lot of work couldn't clean up.

https://i.imgur.com/F0tQzOb.jpg

https://gfycat.com/GlitteringConcreteBangeltiger

Maybe something to consider: The black font on dark blue inserts will be automatically impossible to read for mobile. Perhaps a highlight color to offset the similarity of the colors so that when all is said and done there is still a contrast to make the font stand out, despite the baked in pseudo lighting effects.

It is the little things like that that will go a long way, imo. As insert legibility has long been an issue in one form or another.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Maybe something to consider: The black font on dark blue inserts will be automatically impossible to read for mobile. Perhaps a highlight color to offset the similarity of the colors so that when all is said and done there is still a contrast to make the font stand out, despite the baked in pseudo lighting effects.

It is the little things like that that will go a long way, imo. As insert legibility has long been an issue in one form or another.
Maybe a subtle white mask behind the lettering?

That would be changing the design from the original table.
But that's not our problem as users of course: we just want to see the insert lettering.

@Farsight_Mike is there some sort of design compromise that you could implement to solve the insert clarity issue without getting knock backs from the table approval process?

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
Matt*

I can make that change without a problem, I just made it as true to the original as I could. I can either add a subtle glow to all of them or just some of the mobile ones.

EDIT: I need to start making a list of the things from here, I'm definitely going to forget to do some stuff if I don't...

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
Matt*

I can make that change without a problem, I just made it as true to the original as I could. I can either add a subtle glow to all of them or just some of the mobile ones.

EDIT: I need to start making a list of the things from here, I'm definitely going to forget to do some stuff if I don't...

That would be very appreciated.

Honestly, IDK which would be the better option; masking or the glow effect. Depending on time and developer time it might take several beta cycles on different platforms to iron out, as this is not a high priority request by any means.

I specifically mentioned mobile as I know it would be very nearly impossible to read given the history of how it translates to a smaller screen, but PC, even under DX 11, has differing issues that would need a whole other topic to even begin to broach.

Thanks for taking time to consider these things.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Matt*

Sorry, the Tapatalk reply mechanism doesn't do use name matching. You have to hand fudge the handle and I got it wrong. It's frustrating.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
Sorry, the Tapatalk reply mechanism doesn't do use name matching. You have to hand fudge the handle and I got it wrong. It's frustrating.

I forgive you haha

That would be very appreciated.

Honestly, IDK which would be the better option; masking or the glow effect. Depending on time and developer time it might take several beta cycles on different platforms to iron out, as this is not a high priority request by any means.

I specifically mentioned mobile as I know it would be very nearly impossible to read given the history of how it translates to a smaller screen, but PC, even under DX 11, has differing issues that would need a whole other topic to even begin to broach.

Thanks for taking time to consider these things.

I can't do this for every table, every fix I make for a table means like 5 programmers have to spend time recompiling the table for their platform.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts