16-bit Issue?

Pike13

Dec 7, 2016
So trying to go back to TPA a little bit and downloaded the latest FCM but got the following when FCM was updating itself:

Unsupported 16-Bit Application

The program or feature "\??\C:\Games\TPAFreeCamMod\TPAFreeCamMod.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit version of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Subsequent attempts to run TPAFreeCamMod.exe gives a similar message.

I'm sure it has something do with my system but I thought I would ask since...

1. The version from 11/19/2017 (version 1.3.3.7 in the file properties details section) works - albeit I have to go back to an earlier version of TPA.

2. The new version doesn't give any file properties details information - which was always the telltale sign that an app running in 32-bit/64-bit windows was a 16-bit app, but I realize that isn't always the case.

Is this just me? Doing a quick search in the forums doesn't give me back any responses when searching for this issue. I'm running the latest Win 7 64-bit Home Premium, latest updates, not in offline mode. Did the ModUpdater grab the 16-bit version for some reason (assuming you even have a 16-bit version built). Running as an administrator and tried various compatibility mode changes.

What am I obviously/stupidly missing?

NoEx

Mar 12, 2015
Try to download the mod again from the download post and disable your antivirus, there is nothing about a 16-bit compatibility or something in the mod.

Pike13

Dec 7, 2016
Thanks for the response. Did disable antivirus (Windows Security Essentials) and downloaded again. WSE real-time was disabled, the parent directory was in the exclusion list, and Windows Defender was turned off (never was turned on). Same problem. For grins tried in a few different locations but no dice.

The 1.3.3.7 version works however as mentioned. Strange. Perhaps I could find the latest TPAFreeCamMod.exe and manually copy to my system instead of letting ModUpdater do it? The 'updated' TPAFreeCamMod.exe isn't a valid .exe (not even a 16-bit one) - just a 1 kb placeholder left over after the update error - sorry, didn't notice that before. So it seems like the update failed.

Pike13

Dec 7, 2016
Does anyone have any thoughts on why the update failed with that message? It has always seemed to work in the past. I guess the only thing I can think of is if some Windows update did something that prevented it from running correctly and Windows is just confused about something 16-bit.

How often does the FCM download page get updated with the latest and greatest as opposed to having an older version that would need to be updated? Anyone want to throw me the latest FCM .exe to see if I can get that working? Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

(Not sure that TPA is worth the effort anymore to be honest with the lack of official cab support and the whole story around that. Don't get me wrong - love FCM (and DMDExt) and the people that have posted camera files - but with most of the tables being available in VPX, any guilt I have around not paying for the licenses (although to be fair, the original creators aren't seeing anything I would think) and the wonkiness of some of the long outstanding bugs and getting everything to work in the cab, is being eclipsed by all of the hassle.)

nudnick

Apr 8, 2014
The 'updated' TPAFreeCamMod.exe isn't a valid .exe (not even a 16-bit one) - just a 1 kb placeholder left over after the update error

That sounds a lot like Windows Defender stuff ... I had issues at one point that were similar (nothing that said anything about 16 bit though). The 1kb placeholder is what I would see. Even with Windows Defender OFF, you may want to go into Windows Defender properties and set the ModUpdater file as an Exception ... I had to do this to get it to finally work right. At times I had Windows Defender turned off and still had troubles. I believe that if Windows Defender blocks the Updater first before you turn Windows Defender off, it'll still be blocked until you go in and set Updater as safe file. Windows Defender was very stubborn with my setup and thinking back I had to keep setting the ModUpdater as a safe file over and over until it finally stuck. For a few months, when updating the Mod I had to manually go into Windows Defender and set the Updater as a safe exe ...

Pike13

Dec 7, 2016
Thanks nudnick. That is what I thought too. I thought that SE replaced Windows Defender (at least on Win7) and I had put in the exclusions both on the ModUpdater.exe, TPAFreeCamMod.exe and the parent folder in the exlusion list of SE (also tried turning it off).

But for grins I turned off SE and turned back on Windows Defender and put the exclusions in there. No dice. Then I made sure real-time scanning was turned off on both and still didn't work. Confirmed that the exclusions were still in there. All associated .exes set to run as administrator. Rebooted after setting the exclusions and confirmed that they were still there (not that it should have matter since it was turned off).

Same behavior - FCM prompts to update and the progress bar gets to 100% but then immediately the message. I know that it must be me but I'm not sure what changed on the machine between November and now. I'm relatively sure that I don't have anything else preventing things from running.

I also tried on a different regular PC in the house that never had FCM on it and I have the same problem. The only similarity is that it is Win7 64-bit with the latest updates.

It did register an error in the Windows Application event log: seems like the problem is deep within the bowels of .Net (of which I'm running 4.7.1):

Application: ModUpdater.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at ModUpdater.MainWindow.DL_DownloadFileCompleted(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs)
at System.Net.WebClient.OnDownloadFileCompleted(System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs)
at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFileOperationCompleted(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
at ModUpdater.App.Main()

Makes me wonder if I should try going back to an earlier .Net version.

Mike da Spike

May 26, 2018
I have exactly the same as Pike13 described.
On multiple pc's I downloaded tpafreecammod,
On launch it shows me directly that a new version is available.
Clicking on ok, it creates an 1k file of tpafreecammod.exe.
And also have a .net error in the eventlog.

I run the exe on 1 same machine via a proxy server. And the updater could download the file correctly.
I'm located in the Netherlands. Will the updater download a file that is not reachable from my country ?
The proxy I used was via my work located in the UK.

Members online

Members online