Indiana Jones/Lethal Weapon 3/Space Invaders/Golden Arrow

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
FarSight has said they made inquiries with Warner Bros about multiple licenses, both block purchase and individual, but they were asking way over what other studios wanted.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
They should try again.

Warner Bros. only recently started licensing some of their back catalog titles for Blu-ray releases to The Criterion Collection and Shout Factory.

Perhaps their price has come down a bit?

Neko20

Jan 7, 2015
I love how Warner loves to whore out Freddy but they can't be bothered to make more movies. Jason too. Anyway, I honestly wouldn't be all that upset with kickstarter to get licensed tables on here. How about everyone else? I personally would shell out for 'Jurassic Park' or 'Lost World'

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well, slasher movies haven’t been a thing for many years now. Jason movies were cranked out because they were cheap to make. THAT trend in horror still exists. And is Freddy even remotely scary anymore? You’d have to do a complete reboot, change the origin, maybe even certain aspects of the whole dream thing. It’s a 30 yr old property that’s had every last nickel bled from it, and young (prime audience) couldn’t care less about Freddy or Jason.

As for Kickstarter, no. Zen gets license after license, including Jurassic Park and doesn’t ask a penny extra for it. FarSight just needs to find a way too.

Neko20

Jan 7, 2015
Zen has more money and people I think though. Also, they're licenses are flawed as well particularly Jurassic Park because they don't have the John Williams music anywhere in them. That's kind of an important aspect of JP but that's not to say I dislike them, but either way we're probably gunna be missing items from the tables. Also shutyertrap I do agree that films like Friday and Nightmare aren't popular with new people anymore, you really don't need to change them because it isn't for them. It's for fans and if you made them for cheap budgets and with love for the nostalgic fans it will pay off. These remakes of 'Nightmare' etc. try too hard to change up everything to appeal to teens and it was a box office bomb. Anyway, this is about pinball not movies lol :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Zen has more money and people I think though. Also, they're licenses are flawed as well particularly Jurassic Park because they don't have the John Williams music anywhere in them. That's kind of an important aspect of JP but that's not to say I dislike them, but either way we're probably gunna be missing items from the tables. Also shutyertrap I do agree that films like Friday and Nightmare aren't popular with new people anymore, you really don't need to change them because it isn't for them. It's for fans and if you made them for cheap budgets and with love for the nostalgic fans it will pay off. These remakes of 'Nightmare' etc. try too hard to change up everything to appeal to teens and it was a box office bomb. Anyway, this is about pinball not movies lol :)

But I talk movies all the time! Guess it’s why I got into that business. While John Williams’ music is certainly iconic, I also don’t miss it that much. To me the visuals are most important, mainly because I often play without sound. Once sound is in, table sounds and vocal call outs are next in importance. Think about it, if you were gonna license JP it’d be a complete fail if all you had was the music and all the visuals were knockoffs and there were no movie references. Zen has been doing licenses since their early days, when they were as small as FarSight, never once asking for handouts. FarSight has been around for more years too. Kickstart is to get something off the ground, not a business model.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Zen has more money and people I think though. Also, they're licenses are flawed as well particularly Jurassic Park because they don't have the John Williams music anywhere in them. That's kind of an important aspect of JP but that's not to say I dislike them, but either way we're probably gunna be missing items from the tables.
Not really! Zen Studios only has about 18 employees, which is much less than Farsight. What helps Zen out is package deals. For example, for Jurassic Park they pay one license fee to Universal Pictures and make 3 tables. The reason John Williams' music is missing is because music is a separate license and he way asking way too much.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Not really! Zen Studios only has about 18 employees, which is much less than Farsight. What helps Zen out is package deals. For example, for Jurassic Park they pay one license fee to Universal Pictures and make 3 tables. The reason John Williams' music is missing is because music is a separate license and he way asking way too much.

18? We at BlahCade were led to believe they were 50 strong at least, but only half that actually worked the pinball side of things. The other half works on other games and aspects, but resources can be pulled from there for FX3 as needed.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
18? We at BlahCade were led to believe they were 50 strong at least, but only half that actually worked the pinball side of things. The other half works on other games and aspects, but resources can be pulled from there for FX3 as needed.
Ah, good to know.

They posted a staff photo on the forums awhile ago of the pinball division and there were only 18.

I wonder how many are marketing staff.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ah, good to know.

They posted a staff photo on the forums awhile ago of the pinball division and there were only 18.

I wonder how many are marketing staff.

The way it was explained was that there is the team dedicated to pinball, but there’s also a general team that deals with say online implementation, a team dedicated to making UI, across all Zen games. Whoever is doing licensing, marketing, etc, is a general resource for every division. The pinball team has their own designers, artists, and programmers, but they might pull assets from elsewhere in the company.

The net effect is that the pinball guys can focus entirely on that, not having to pull double or triple duty worrying about how the UI works and looks while figuring out head to head matchmaking. THAT’s why I believe their stuff is so polished. I also think it comes from focusing on one thing at a time. FX3 still isn’t a thing on mobile, as I’m sure it has all sorts of complications different from console and PC. And yet they still are getting the tables in the meantime. When it does finally launch, I imagine it will be with full functionality, ready for prime time. And for the most part, I’d bet those 18 in the pinball division aren’t the ones worrying about it, it’s that other half of Zen.

Members online

Members online