BlahCade Pinball Podcast Episodes (128 and higher)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BlahCade #144: Zen Through The Ages

Still no news about what's happening with WMS, so in this episode, we go back in time to one of the first table releases that Zen Studios published: El Dorado.

We delve into the history of releases that Zen Studios have produced and how their table design DNA almost marry up with the history of pinball table design in real life.

See http://blahcadepinball.com/144-zen-through-the-ages for show notes and segment timings.

greatdane

Feb 19, 2015
Regarding new T-shirts. If you manage to find a producer who can ship them from the EU I would love to buy some again. I bought a couple of T-shirts with the old logo years back but those customs taxes hit me really hard because they shipped from the US.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Regarding new T-shirts. If you manage to find a producer who can ship them from the EU I would love to buy some again. I bought a couple of T-shirts with the old logo years back but those customs taxes hit me really hard because they shipped from the US.

Same happened to Jared getting his into Australia. The company we are thinking of going with prints in various locales, so we're seeing if that will solve that issue.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BlahCade #145: Did You Miss Us?

It sucks, doesn't it? There really isn't a lot happening in the world of digital pinball at the moment.

When this happens, we always seem to find stuff we can put into a show. So get your glass filled with the lemonade of what lemons are around: it still tastes good.

See http://blahcadepinball.com/145-did-you-miss-us for show notes and the usual links to show topics.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Dunno the Podcast online service you were referring too Jared but this #145 had very good audio.

Yup, would think Mandarin would be very useful, even for us Europeans. Well that and German and French and Japanese - see, I did not put Italiano in there, telling isn't it :D

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Dunno the Podcast online service you were referring too Jared but this #145 had very good audio.

Yup, would think Mandarin would be very useful, even for us Europeans. Well that and German and French and Japanese - see, I did not put Italiano in there, telling isn't it :D
I didn't do anything differently this week than I did last week. Maybe YouTube Live sucked less this week?

Not sure why Italian is taught early, when young minds are at their elastic best. I know my two learned how to count to 20 in Japanese by watching Japanize: Going, Going, Gong on TV. They can learn anything at this stage, so why not get them learning hard languages, right?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BlahCade #146: Mart from Magic Pixel

Out of the blue, we get a request to talk digital pinball with a game studio. Of course we're going to say "hell yes" to that.

The Community Manager from Magic Pixel gives us some welcome news about what's in store for fans of Magic Pixel's Zaccaria Pinball.

We round out the show with some fun from the Netherworld Sideshow and a surprising turn of events at Chris' Tournament he attended recently.

See http://blahcadepinball.com/146-mart-from-magic-pixel for detailed show notes and pictures and links of what we talk about in the episode.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Big fan of Zaccaria Pinball. Mart is a cool guy, super easy to talk to and shows cool passion for pinball in general. Evidence via the multitude of updates on the development of ZP tells me that these guys truly deserve the title "hardest working pinball devs in the business"

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Big fan of Zaccaria Pinball. Mart is a cool guy, super easy to talk to and shows cool passion for pinball in general. Evidence via the multitude of updates on the development of ZP tells me that these guys truly deserve the title "hardest working pinball devs in the business"

Yeah, I had never really paid much attention to the game as I didn't have any interest in the tables. On top of that, at the time I wasn't really impressed with the UI and it all felt clunky. So suddenly getting some tables and checking it out, how far it's come since I last looked at it, there's a lot going for it. Nothing is going to change my mind about how funky some of the table designs are, but hats off to what Magic Pixel has done. And the two remake tables I've played, I was shocked at how much I liked them. These guys are certainly not phoning it in.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Correct: One thing that's super fun too is the various different modes (campaign is cool), the tracking of scores on the different variations and as you mentioned the different remakes/retro versions of existing tables. For sure the funky nature of the original SS tables is an acquired taste... Zaccaria certainly did think "out of the box" back then on some of their tables.

Can't remember if I said this in the Zaccaria section but I did the audio call outs for the Black Belt 2018 remake. Aside from getting kicks working on a commercial pinball project, I really enjoyed working with the Zaccaria team and was thankful they allowed me some creativity in creating the "sensei" character. It was such a cool experience I ended up getting my eldest daughter involved with the game, she's does the voice over calling out the table names in the table selection menus (for some, I don't think she does the remakes and Retro?). Anyway, glad you gave the game a revisit. Listening to the podcast now, great job lads!

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017

Couldn't agree more. Great product and to me it seems like they put way more care into it than FarSight did with TPA.

What's sad is that they're running out of classic Zaccaria tables to recreate. Although there are still plenty of Remakes/Retros they can do.

It would be awesome if they obtained licenses for the Mr. Game and tecnoplay tables or even for another classic European dev to make a new game with.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Cool! Gonna listen to this tomorrow or the day after. Really should play more Zaccaria, should play more digital pinball overall...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So you know gang, no new podcast this week. Jared and I had scheduling issues. Good news is what little we had to talk about this week will just roll into next, which in the past has meant having a full show of pinball to talk about!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.