Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first FarSight post in this thread.   Thread: About that skill shot

My Devices
    PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skippycue View Post
    So I usually tried to launch from halfway down the last yellow marker. However, the analogue sticks on the PS4 controller make this much harder. I would recommend using a mouse if you're on PC because then you can just pull back and let go of the mouse button for a consistent release. With the analogue stick, even if you pull back the plunger to the desired release point, letting go of the analogue stick with a clean release is almost impossible. This means that most releases either end up pulling the plunger back further for too much power, or add drag which takes away power. Therefore, I believe earning this goal on console or with a controller is even harder than using a mouse and keyboard.

Oh, and I'm still irritated that there is no way to explore these tables from various angles like in real life, so I still have no idea what the actual mechanics are of the skill shot gap...
    It's not about the analogue stick. If you set the plunger to a positition then pause game then release stick then continue the game. The strength of the shot will be always different. No consistency. You can use this method in Cyclone skill shot. Set the plunger the same pixel the ball will go to the same hole always, so you can make the 500k skill shot with the 5th ball easily. Banzai run is random.

I played BR on PC with PS4 controller. Skill shot is not that hard as it is on PS4. Not that much inconsistency. So skill shot is easier on PC.
    The most consistency is on the real BR machine. I played a real BR in the Pinball Museum in Budapest a month ago. Skill shot was very easy.
    The whole game play was easier than TPA except for the vertical part. That was very quick.

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandigab View Post
    It's not about the analogue stick. If you set the plunger to a positition then pause game then release stick then continue the game. The strength of the shot will be always different. No consistency. You can use this method in Cyclone skill shot. Set the plunger the same pixel the ball will go to the same hole always, so you can make the 500k skill shot with the 5th ball easily. Banzai run is random.

I played BR on PC with PS4 controller. Skill shot is not that hard as it is on PS4. Not that much inconsistency. So skill shot is easier on PC.
    The most consistency is on the real BR machine. I played a real BR in the Pinball Museum in Budapest a month ago. Skill shot was very easy.
    The whole game play was easier than TPA except for the vertical part. That was very quick.
    @tandigab

Any tips you can offer on making this shot? I was hoping I would be able to use the pause method, but it's not working. Despite lining up each shot perfectly, the release results in wildly different outcomes. Which way do you nudge the table to get the ball in the hole?

My Devices
    PS4, PS Vita, PS3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal21 View Post
    @tandigab

Any tips you can offer on making this shot? I was hoping I would be able to use the pause method, but it's not working. Despite lining up each shot perfectly, the release results in wildly different outcomes. Which way do you nudge the table to get the ball in the hole?
    There is no specific nudge direction unfortunately, it depends on the current ball behavior. For instance, if the ball is teetering in the opening of the skill shot area, then right table nudge might be enough to shove the ball all the way in. However, if the ball is bouncing on top of the skill shot lane bumpers and you want to try to deflect it into the skill shot area, you'd potentially want to nudge the table to the left to push the ball off the bumper into the skill shot area. I've done it both ways (you can see the second technique in the video I've posted earlier in this forum).

My Devices
    PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually nudge up , up/right or down/right. It depends how the ball is moving.
    There is not an ultimate method to get the ball to the hole. Try to collect as many EBs as you can so you have more attemps. When two balls in play drain one to get 'instant rematch'. You need a lot of luck as well. In a good game you can try 8-10 times.
    Restart until you get a skill shot with the first ball, then you need 'only' 3 more.

My Devices
    Playstation 3, iOS, Playstation 4
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that the trick to the 4 skill shot wizard goal is getting good at extra balls and starting/restarting multiballs. If you get good enough to have a 30 minute or more game, the ball would have probably went in the trough enough times to earn the goal.

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've been at it for almost 2 weeks now, and it just seems hopeless at this point. I've gotten to 3 skillshots twice. Once very early, before I even knew how to get an extra ball. Second time a week later when I already knew what I was doing and just couldn't land that 4th one in the following 5 tries.

The worst part is, that I can play for 1 hour, and maybe end up with 2nd skillshot once or twice during that time. I haven't gotten 3 skillshots in a week. I also noticed nudging seems fishy when you have one ball locked. I've often had the table TILT on a single nudge at that point, which makes my success rate even smaller, despite implementing all the other tricks (like skippycue's attendant method). I even accidentally discovered another way of getting a free launch ball by shooting the captive ball hard enough where the ball in play gets phased into it, at which point you can call an attendant. Sadly it's even less reproducible than the skillshot.

My new approach is to keep playing and draining until I get 2 skillshots in a row. It lets me spend more time plunging than playing only to miss. I just don't see myself getting this done if I can get the skillshot one out of 10 times at best.

I'd rather earn wizard goals on all the other tables again, than go after this one. The complete randomness is what kills me. Coupled with the fact that they definitely screwed up how wide the skillshot entrance is, it is absolutely the hardest Wizard Goal out of all of them.

My Devices
    PS4, PS Vita, PS3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal21 View Post
    Thanks. I've been at it for almost 2 weeks now, and it just seems hopeless at this point. I've gotten to 3 skillshots twice. Once very early, before I even knew how to get an extra ball. Second time a week later when I already knew what I was doing and just couldn't land that 4th one in the following 5 tries.

The worst part is, that I can play for 1 hour, and maybe end up with 2nd skillshot once or twice during that time. I haven't gotten 3 skillshots in a week. I also noticed nudging seems fishy when you have one ball locked. I've often had the table TILT on a single nudge at that point, which makes my success rate even smaller, despite implementing all the other tricks (like skippycue's attendant method). I even accidentally discovered another way of getting a free launch ball by shooting the captive ball hard enough where the ball in play gets phased into it, at which point you can call an attendant. Sadly it's even less reproducible than the skillshot.

My new approach is to keep playing and draining until I get 2 skillshots in a row. It lets me spend more time plunging than playing only to miss. I just don't see myself getting this done if I can get the skillshot one out of 10 times at best.

I'd rather earn wizard goals on all the other tables again, than go after this one. The complete randomness is what kills me. Coupled with the fact that they definitely screwed up how wide the skillshot entrance is, it is absolutely the hardest Wizard Goal out of all of them.
    One thing I didn't mention is I focused a lot on plunger release consistency by rolling the analog stick around the outside and letting go cleanly in the same spot every time. I found this to be much more consistent than pulling it straight back due to all the left/right variance. Maybe focusing on something like that could help you. Good luck, I bet you'll get it any day now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12