Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first FarSight post in this thread.   Thread: About that skill shot

My Devices
    Android, iOS, Mac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About that skill shot

Can anyone explain mechanically what is going on with the skill shot? It's been a long time since I played this IRL but is there like a metal cover blocking the saucer that flips up somehow? The lit arrows for the skill shot are not pointing to where the ball needs to go. I only managed to get this with luck. I'm not sure how I'll get the wizard goal. Thoughts?

My Devices
    iPad Air,PC,Xbox One,Android, Xbox 360
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only talking about myself, I find there is a sweet spot where if you hit it properly the ball should just hug the upper curve and drop right into the hill hole. It's a tough shot for sure,but with repeated play you can get a feel for it on the real table.

Compound that with the fact that you need to pull the plunger past the sight lines on the TPA version makes this a tough wizard goal.

My Devices
    Android
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ball should go below the metal cover for skill shot. Diffucult in real pinball table as well.

My Devices
    iTouch,New New iPad, iPad Air, Steam
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it on accident! Never again after that.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best I've managed is twice in one game. Tried plunging with the right stick (my usual method), space bar (seems it might be better... but isn't really). Not tried the mouse. I doubt that works better than the right stick.
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    iPhone, ps3
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking for the IOS people, but a well timed nudge left after plunging will get it to phase right in there. But it’s tough to reproduce.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the Goal in a 80M+ game. Very hard to aim for...

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarek Oberdieck View Post
    Got the Goal in a 80M+ game. Very hard to aim for...
    You'd be the best to ask - is the extra ball from multiball repeatable (spot A-B-C, shoot the VUK, hit the captive ball all in one go), or just a one-time thing?
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarOfSuburbia View Post
    You'd be the best to ask - is the extra ball from multiball repeatable (spot A-B-C, shoot the VUK, hit the captive ball all in one go), or just a one-time thing?
    It's repeatable and of course the main goal in the game. Never be King of the Hill without A-B-C. :-)

My Devices
    Nvidea Shield K1, and Samsung Note 4 SM-N910F.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
    Compound that with the fact that you need to pull the plunger past the sight lines on the TPA version makes this a tough wizard goal.
    You don't actually pull the plunger past the sight lines.
    If you Jack up the screen brightness to max you can actually just make out the plunger tip from the background. But anything less than max and its invisible. Can't play like that though.
    In the pic below, I cranked up the brightness and drew around the tip in red for visibility.

This was pointed out a few times in the beta but didn't get changed.

My Devices
    PC (Steam) Samsung s9 (android) PS3
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You know there are other points of reference besides the plunger tip.
    Most Wanted: 1. Spider-Man 2. LOTR 3. Shadow
    Twitch digital pin: www.twitch.tv/switch3TV
    Twitch real pin: www.twitch.tv/umepinball

My Devices
    iOS, PSN
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty close to what I do for the skillshot. I would like to be able to see the plunger tip better. More contrast or change the tip to white.

13.   This is the last FarSight post in this thread.   #13
    FarSight Employee FarSight_Matt's Avatar
    My Devices
    Pixel, PC, Switch
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noted, I'll try making the plunger tips more identifiable.

My Devices
    iPad Air,PC,Xbox One,Android, Xbox 360
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rubik View Post
    You don't actually pull the plunger past the sight lines.
    If you Jack up the screen brightness to max you can actually just make out the plunger tip from the background. But anything less than max and its invisible. Can't play like that though.
    In the pic below, I cranked up the brightness and drew around the tip in red for visibility.

This was pointed out a few times in the beta but didn't get changed.
    I've only played it on iOS so far. Gonna try it on Steam this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

My Devices
    Android, iOS, Mac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried pulling the plunger to this point. That's not even close to enough force to get the ball onto the table. Any video of doing it available?

My Devices
    Mi Pad 4 Plus, Xperia XZ2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plunger on this one is totally inconsistent. Pulling it all the way down will always launch the ball at full speed but moving it slightly up from max power will produce very different results. Now, I get that 1mm IRL can make a difference between succes and fail but here it makes a difference between plunging all the way to the skill shot hole or not leaving the plunger lane at all.
    Dear FS, Special Force and Radical, please.

My Devices
    Nvidea Shield K1, and Samsung Note 4 SM-N910F.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strells View Post
    I tried pulling the plunger to this point. That's not even close to enough force to get the ball onto the table. Any video of doing it available?
    That's not showing you where to align for the skill shot.
    It's an illustration of where the plunger tip actually is, if you turn up the screen brightness so you can see it.

My Devices
    PC
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FINALLY managed to get Cycle Stunt 4. The sweet spot, though inconsistent, is usually around the 2nd furthest yellow/black arrow.

My Devices
    iphone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinballwiz45b View Post
    FINALLY managed to get Cycle Stunt 4. The sweet spot, though inconsistent, is usually around the 2nd furthest yellow/black arrow.
    must have tried this 100 times on PC tonight. Managed to get it to fall in naturally a grand total of 1 times. Managed a couple by lucky bounces/nudges.
    No way the real table is that brutal and its a ****ty goal to have if it actually is (Which begs the question, Whats the f**king point of calling a goal "wizard" that are complete flukes).

The table also needs a collision overhaul on the upper flippers too.

Pod
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PC+Mobile - PHOF Score - 34615: Missing wizard goals seasons 1-4 = 3

My Devices
    PS4, PS Vita, PS3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is most likely the hardest wizard goal from all the tables in season 7! Shooting skill shots on this table is very tricky and there doesn't seem to be a lot of plunger consistency. This wizard goal is awarded for shooting 4 skill shots in one game! Fortunately, any relaunch of the ball (e.g., due to multiball) allows you to earn a skill shot so you can have lots of chances if you can keep the ball in play.

So my general strategy was to restart until I started with a skill shot (duh), and then use the right ramp to light all the racers for the first multiball (only works the first time). This would not only light the racers, but also light extra ball after 8 laps. After collecting the extra ball I'd shoot the Banzai Hill saucer to beat all the racers in the upper playfield, and then again to lock the ball for multiball. Locking a ball of course gives you another chance at a skill shot. When multiball starts I try to catch a ball on the left flipper and then let the other ball drain. This immediately starts a 20 second timer allowing you to hit the Right saucer for a multiball restart. This gives you yet another chance at a skill shot. You can see in the video that I made my last two skill shots in a row by locking a ball and then doing the instant restart. What you can't see in the video is the rest of my strategy because I didn't need it in this run. There is a cool little glitch on the table during multiball. If you shoot both balls in the Right saucer they get stuck (at least until the 25 second timer runs out, not sure about that part). You can immediately call the attendant and the ball will be reset after 15 seconds. I did not verify you can make a skill shot from a ball reset, but it seems like you should be able to. At any rate, if you can keep shooting both balls into the Right saucer then you can theoretically have infinite attempts at the skill shot. Maybe someone can verify a skill shot can be made from a ball reset...

At any rate, after the first multiball, my basic strategy was to restart multiball with controlled shots at the yellow targets, then shots at the green rollovers, then doirect shots at the red/blue targets or shots to the Right saucer to spot targets. Rinse and repeat until you get your 4th Cycle Stunt... easier said than done!

Last edited by skippycue; 01-22-2019 at 02:02 PM.

My Devices
    Android, iOS, Mac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so how far are you pulling the plunger to make the skillshot? It goes by so fast in the video.

My Devices
    PS4, PS Vita, PS3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strells View Post
    OK, so how far are you pulling the plunger to make the skillshot? It goes by so fast in the video.
    So I usually tried to launch from halfway down the last yellow marker. However, the analogue sticks on the PS4 controller make this much harder. I would recommend using a mouse if you're on PC because then you can just pull back and let go of the mouse button for a consistent release. With the analogue stick, even if you pull back the plunger to the desired release point, letting go of the analogue stick with a clean release is almost impossible. This means that most releases either end up pulling the plunger back further for too much power, or add drag which takes away power. Therefore, I believe earning this goal on console or with a controller is even harder than using a mouse and keyboard.

Oh, and I'm still irritated that there is no way to explore these tables from various angles like in real life, so I still have no idea what the actual mechanics are of the skill shot gap...
    Last edited by skippycue; 01-23-2019 at 12:55 PM.

My Devices
    PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done.

My Devices
    PS4, PS Vita, PS3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged