Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FarSight should announce something...

My Devices
    PS4 Pro, iPad Mini 4, iPhone SE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FarSight should announce something...

Stern recently announced Iron Maiden which, of course, has sold all its LE’s before any pics are released. If FarSight still gives a hoot about this property they should ride that wave. Are they getting the digital rights to recreate this pin? Keith Elwin. Considered the best pinball player of all time designed the playfield layout. Along with the superb artwork it looks like another music pin winner for Stern.
    Last edited by dtown8532; 04-01-2018 at 09:54 AM.

My Devices
    iPad Pro, PC, PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart marketing. Seems like we've been longing for that from Farsight since day 1, eh?

My Devices
    Ipad Air 2, xbox 1S, PC, Iphone 6S, Virtuapin cab, PS4 pro
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Farsight of the union

That's a smart move that Stern has started with lately

A short monthly write-up about what's going on with the company

My Devices
    iPad 4, iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe keep putting out the monthly newsletter, but with actual news of upcoming plans/activity.

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should just go all in an create their own ip and playfeild, inspried by 80s cartoons thundercats heman and dungeons and dragons, theyve played enough by now

Senior Member QuickAceItsA2ndChance's Avatar
    My Devices
    Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S8, Tablet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak357 View Post
    Or maybe keep putting out the monthly newsletter, but with actual news of upcoming plans/activity.
    This. It would be nice to have something to look forward to with TPA. I don't need firm promises of a release date until that date is set in stone. But it would be helpful to know what's in the works and how it's going.

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point they are probably all catching up on all the sleep they have missed with the breakneck release schedule for the last 6 years. But I agree that when the dust settles I'd love to know what is happening.

This product (TPA/SPA) is well loved and the community is used to getting frequent updates. Right now we're all holding our collective breath, waiting to see what comes out - will something (news, patch, new table) happen in April? Will it be 6 months? Will they change direction completely? It's all a mystery. And it makes me a little nervous.

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgias32 View Post
    the community is used to getting frequent updates.
    Except the SPA portion of the community. Or any portion of the TPA community other than mobile and Steam.

My Devices
    Android, iOS, Mac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we think there is any chance that they will ever be able to release any of the new pins that use a true video screen instead of DMD? I can't see how they could do that and still support all the platforms they are on, simply due to performance issues. Anybody know what the resolution is on those displays? They certainly look HD which would require some honking processor power to run along with table graphics and physics.

My Devices
    ps4 pro,xbox1x,pc
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh well , we know Farsight , we`ll just wait and wait !!! we have heaps of sport at the moment , I`m just catching up with the surfing from Bells , Mick Fanning through to the 4th round . The Commonwealth games start tomorrow night , College basketball Final all the Football and the Baseball just started and Pinball and Racing games in between !!! my kids and grandkids are healthy , what else could a boofhead like me ask for!!!

My Devices
    PC
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strells View Post
    Do we think there is any chance that they will ever be able to release any of the new pins that use a true video screen instead of DMD? I can't see how they could do that and still support all the platforms they are on, simply due to performance issues. Anybody know what the resolution is on those displays? They certainly look HD which would require some honking processor power to run along with table graphics and physics.
    The Jersey Jack machine displays are 1080p. I'm not sure of the resolution of the Stern displays.
    See the Lost in the Zone blog for my high score list, as well as more opinion, commentary, and observations on both physical and virtual pinball.

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Except the SPA portion of the community. Or any portion of the TPA community other than mobile and Steam.
    Well, I meant news updates (with the monthly newsletter). You're right that only TPA on mobile and Steam get app updates at a reasonable frequency.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a fan of Farsight and their products, nothing against Stern, but if the deal with them is keeping the channel of communications closed between Farsight and THEIR fans that is an issue

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorzel View Post
    I am a fan of Farsight and their products, nothing against Stern, but if the deal with them is keeping the channel of communications closed between Farsight and THEIR fans that is an issue
    The stern deal shouldnt affect farsight in terms of other manufacturers, if stern are limiting even a carrot on the stick or basic news it would but an annoying issue, if that was the case as weareedumactionally using learnings we need to get old man stern drunk and in love withus

My Devices
    i7 GTX 960M, Shield Tablet + other 'droids you aren't looking for
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorzel View Post
    When has the channel of communication between FarSight and their fans been an open one though? The biggest communication event of the year was usually the "12 days of Xmas", and that was traditionally filled with speculative announcements more than anything of substance. Can anyone cite a clear and open communication from FarSight that actually gave anything more than marketing hype-speak?

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spork98765 View Post
    When has the channel of communication between FarSight and their fans been an open one though? The biggest communication event of the year was usually the "12 days of Xmas", and that was traditionally filled with speculative announcements more than anything of substance. Can anyone cite a clear and open communication from FarSight that actually gave anything more than marketing hype-speak?
    Well, considering I conducted 2 interviews with Bobby King during the first 2 years of TPA for BlahCade Pinball Podcast, that in addition he answered questions via email that we collected from this very forum on numerous occassions, that Mike and Norman have both been frequent guests on the podcast, and in certain threads on this forum various employees of FarSight have communicated and answered questions, I'd say they've had a much larger channel of communication with the fans than most games. You want to talk marketing hype-speak, what would you call Blizzcon? Does EA jump into fan forums and joke around with posters? Shoot, does Zen even do that?

FarSight has walked a razors edge of having too much communication that bites them when things change, and not enough communication making people feel like they don't care. You have to remember, especially in the case of Stern, FarSight can't be 100% transparent with all their dealings, nor should they be. The SPA app is case in point, where Stern hired FarSight to create a product for them as opposed to TPA where FarSight purchased the license and could choose what info to release.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

buy BlahCade t-shirt at represent.com/blahcade-shirt

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The farsight guys interacting on this site have been great, any info is appreciated. My thing is like the title says they need to announce SOMETHING, and I dont mean "look were releasing on ANOTHER platform before we even have what is out now working correctly, isnt that great?" I mean plans for future release tables, if you cant tell us whats coming next tell us when you will be able to tell us. I look into this game every month and more to see whats coming next, at some point Im going to stop looking. Keep us hooked farsight! No other game has had me perpetually excited for 6ish years.

My Devices
    Android/PS3/PS4/PSVita
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how the new LCD platform is even possible for Farsight so I'd count out anything Batman 66 and after.

Ghostbusters was a struggle, it released 9 months late and had big problems for months after on all platforms.

The new LCD platform is even more demanding. What's more, it's a whole new system of gigabytes of video, graphical overlays and more in dense folder trees with complex calls. With DMD, the app is just drawing the dots as if it were a DMD display and that takes up no space. With LCD, the video is pre-recorded, graphics and animations and other various display assets are all stored and called up. That's a ton more data, that's a ton more processing.

It's not happening on the current platform.

Think about it. There's a reason the next tables are Big Buck Hunter and Woah Nellie. The only SPIKE table is Ghostbusters and the struggle was real, they don't seem to be eager to tackle any more any time soon or they'd be going after garaunteed big sellers like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

You think they'll even bother with the new LCD platform?

My Devices
    PS4, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say the biggest problems with producing these modern Stern tables is time.

All those monthly releases for TPA was taking it's toll.

As for the LCD platform, I expect compressed video. Unlike the real machine, there is no reason for high bitrate video. (Would suck for those with a Cab though)
    Last edited by PeacemakerPIN; 04-10-2018 at 09:08 PM.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the LCD platforms, they are at least going to have access to the raw video in whatever format it comes in. Has anyone successfully implemented LCD screens - Stern, JJ, or anyone else's - in VP yet?
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    Android/PS3/PS4/PSVita
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll happily eat crow but I am extremely confident that we will never get the LCD games.

I'm 50/50 that we'll even see more SPIKE tables.

Hell, at the current release rate it could be another year before we see more SPA tables after Big Buck Hunter and Woah Nellie, and we don't even know when they're coming. It's been 6 months since Ghostbusters. SPA launched with 3 new tables in November 2016 and here it is the middle of April 2018 and only ONE new table has been released in all that time.

My Devices
    PS4, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all of the tables are possible, I mean consoles and PCs have alot more video memory compared to before.

Also with breakthroughs in ray tracing, we can also have more realistic reflections on tables.

However... This JJ Table seems impossible to port...

It's like it was made to be TPA unfriendly. lol

My Devices
    Ipad Air 2, xbox 1S, PC, Iphone 6S, Virtuapin cab, PS4 pro
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not too worried about the lcd games.

There are plenty of sam/white star games to choose from. If we get 2-3 pr year, I'd say we are covered for 10 years (and that's not counting the heavy licenses)

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get why so many here seem to want new tables recreated. Since the days of the Williams & Gottlieb Hall of Fame games, Farsight's mission to me has always been about recreating the classics and making them more widely available to both new generations who have never had a chance to play them for real, and to those who want to relive their old arcade days. When there are still literally thousands of old tables from the 60's-90's waiting to get digital iterations, why should Farsight recreate the present? Especially since most new tables I have had the misfortune of trying seem to suffer from the same disease of cramming as many bells and whistles and clutter into them as possible, to mask the fact that on a basic level, they suffer from uninspired or unoriginal design and are just not fun to play. "More" does not necessarily mean "better". Modern tables have no soul compared to a 70's Gottlieb or 80's Williams. Ghostbosters has nothing on Eight Ball Deluxe, for example, even though the latter doesn't have a single ramp, multiball, or video mode. If there are any new tables worthwhile being made today, then let consensus sort that out over the coming decades, and release the best of them 30 years from now - and I'm only half kidding.

As someone who has bought both HoF games and every table for TPA (even those I don't like) and intend to continue to do so (except for the Stern PA game, for obvious reasons), I feel I have to balance the scales a little bit here and express my absolute support for and craving for more older tables. Yes, forget about LCD screens obviously, but go one step further and forget about DMD's! There are literally hundreds of Gottliebs and Williamses alone just from the 1970's still to recreate. And of the 10 top rated EM games on ipdb.org literally just one (Fireball) is in TPA. That makes even less sense since I read on this very forum that Norman had stated that the #1 most played table in TPA is Big Shot! So, obviously there's a demand for these tables. How many EM's could have been made in the time it took to finish Ghostbusters, for example? I bought it, but it's a table I can hardly be bothered to play. Now that there is no longer a regular release schedule, I wish Farsight would just put out a new EM every now and then between bug fixes. Here, start at the top of the IPDB ratings list and work your way down!

#1 Abra Ca Dabra (Gottlieb,1975)
    #2 Sweet Hearts (Gottlieb,1963)
    #3 2001 (Gottlieb,1971)
    #4 Pop-A-Card (Gottlieb,1972)
    #5 Top Card (Gottlieb,1974)
    #6 Cross Town (Gottlieb,1966)
    #7 Target Pool (Gottlieb,1969)
    -
    #9 Wizard! (Bally,1975)
    #10 Four Million B.C. (Bally,1971)

My Devices
    PS4, PS3, KindleHD
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, tastes are different.

I agree to the outstanding quality of tables like eight ball deluxe, Fathom etc.. Pins from early eighties belong to my all time favorites. But Gottlieb tables? I.m.o. most of them are boring, kind of childish with nerving sounds. 60´s and early 70´s are as well not my cub of tea, too simple, too repetitive, too much random-based. But thats just my opinion. I know that in the 60´s/70´s Gottliebs were state of the art, and a table like Abra Ca Dabra was maybe the king of this area. But times have changed. They have their charm, but they can´t keep me busy for a longer time.

On the other side, I partly agree with your point, that modern tables are sometimes overloaded with bells, lanes, gimmicks and offer a too complex rulesets. But if I had to decide between the old tables and modern tables like Metallica, Lord of the rings, Simpsons...my decision is clear. By the way, Ghostbusters is one of my favorite modern tables.

So, I`m waiting for more modern tables and as well for classics like Seawitch, Embryon or Medusa or missing 90´s tables like Indiana Jones.
    But, to be honest, I´m concerned about the future of Farsight.
    Last edited by Silverball67; 04-16-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast