WMS License - Speculation Thread

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Beyond software, people bought movies on VHS. Then on DVD. Then digitally (I have the original Star Wars trilogy in all three formats, all bought separately).

Or music, tape/vinyl was doubled up on CD, and (for those not part of the "ripping" generation), digitally too.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I’ve bought Fifth Element on Laserdisc, DVD, and Blu Ray. Same for first 3 Alien movies (and those Laserdisc boxes were $110 a pop). Star Wars I have VHS, non special edition trilogy box and SE Laserdisc, and DVD. I have regular and Extended versions of LotR in DVD and would have the blu rat if my wife didn’t keep stopping me. I just bought the Die Hard series for the 3rd time.

That’s just scratching the surface of double and triple dips I’ve taken. All I need is a noticeable difference in something and I start salivating. Only reason I haven’t started buying 4K discs is I don’t I have a player and the 4K streaming on my TV hasn’t wowed me.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
On the TPA Facebook page someone posted that the ToTAN table is going away since it was free with the download of the app and not part of the season 1. Seriously??????

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
On the TPA Facebook page someone posted that the ToTAN table is going away since it was free with the download of the app and not part of the season 1. Seriously??????

Considering ToTAN is one of the tables included with the Arcooda key to unlock cabinet support in Steam, this doesn't make sense. I have emailed Farsight to find out myself. Matt or Tom from Farsight are you able to shed some light on this?

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
It'd be nice if they'd just compile a complete list of what needs to be purchased for every platform in order to keep TOTAN, as well a list of any platforms where it's not possible to keep it (if there are any other than Switch).

Because I've seen the TOTAN question asked A LOT.

p.s. And yes, it can be kept for Switch if you don't update the game or if you made a purchase day 1. Before someone feels the need to point that out.

Last edited:

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
It'd be nice if they'd just compile a complete list of what needs to be purchased for every platform in order to keep TOTAN, as well a list of any platforms where it's not possible to keep it (if there are any other than Switch).

Because I've seen the TOTAN question asked A LOT.

p.s. And yes, it can be kept for Switch if you don't update the game or if you made a purchase day 1. Before someone feels the need to point that out.
Please, keep repeating it.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Please, keep repeating it.

Not really sure what you mean by that. Was that intended to be some sort of snide remark, or what?

It's not a personal concern of mine, I'm already satisfied I won't be losing it based on the scattered bits of info on the matter we've gotten. I'm just saying, it'd be nice if they released this information for general consumption for the people still concerned about it, without them having to go searching for it in bits and pieces.

Last edited:

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Is it possible that SG has a deal to sell of the WMS Pinball IP to someone (just to get rid of it) and the deal is contingent on terminating any existing license agreements? I gave up hope on cabinet support....but the Arcooda announcement has left me a bit less pessimistic than usual...:)

Mar 9, 2012
Wonder what farsight offered to buy the catalog.. can't be cheap so obviously farsight is pretty stable.

I wonder if the offer was made because they found out another company was trying to buy it

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
This is why IP law is bull****: you can just own rights to content and refuse to release it - because you’re greedy or just don’t care. There should be a system to appeal and force the leveraging of those rights or lose them in cases like this, where you’re talking about preserving heritage. I'm not one of these folks concerned about “losing my collection,” I'm more interested that people who come after me might enjoy the joys of pinball after the physical machines are gone.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
This is why IP law is bull****<snip>
Yeah, in some part you can blame Disney - as a general before the change to placate corporations rather than individuals the IP protection was 50years, what you would expect a person to live and benefit from the work done.
Now Disney was getting close to loose there 'rights' to Micky Mouse and so lobbied to change the law so that it could forever hold the rights to this character... Well, I am not impressed with humanity thinking Corporations are 'more human than humans themselves' :(

wolfson

May 24, 2013
This is why IP law is bull****: you can just own rights to content and refuse to release it - because you’re greedy or just don’t care. There should be a system to appeal and force the leveraging of those rights or lose them in cases like this, where you’re talking about preserving heritage. I'm not one of these folks concerned about “losing my collection,” I'm more interested that people who come after me might enjoy the joys of pinball after the physical machines are gone.
Sean agree with you , it reminds me back 2002 World Cup which was in Korea and Japan . SBS normally shows all the Football , but channel 9 who are a Rugby League station bought the rights . because it was in our time zone , they were only going to show 16 matches . for the first time ever FIFA did the right thing , stepped in and gave the 40 odd games to SBS , and guess what , best ratings ever for SBS . channel 9 were pricks , they still are !!!!:cool:

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Here is TPA responding to the post on Facebook:

The Pinball Arcade Unfortunately no, the TOTAN table will be removed.

Would be kind of nice if someone at Farsight might know what is going on.

I looked at my iOS and Steam versions of TPA and in both cases I own the Pro version of ToTAN because I purchased the Season 1 Pro pack. This settles it for me that I actually own the table since the free table is not the Pro version.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
I looked at my iOS and Steam versions of TPA and in both cases I own the Pro version of ToTAN because I purchased the Season 1 Pro pack. This settles it for me that I actually own the table since the free table is not the Pro version.

I'm in the same boat, bought the pro version on steam, the person that posted on Facebook said the same thing, they owned the pro version as well for ios, ps4 and steam.

Last edited:

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
It is appeal-able, but when you run up against a corporation taking in billions of dollars a year in revenue, it'll be a hard sell. However, it'd be hard right now as they were selling access to the license for nearly 10 years and have only now (well, in July) just stopped.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.