WMS License - Speculation Thread

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm glad I was proven wrong, but SG will still remain on my list as scumbag company.

Given what we've seen from Zen - could they have built everything from the ground up since the end of March (when the license presumably changed hands)? I guess maybe. If FS could manage 1 table a month with their smaller team, this is 4 tables in 5 months for a larger team.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Given what we've seen from Zen - could they have built everything from the ground up since the end of March (when the license presumably changed hands)? I guess maybe. If FS could manage 1 table a month with their smaller team, this is 4 tables in 5 months for a larger team.

We’re going into full unadulterated speculation mode next podcast and that is one of the very things we’ll be touching on.

MattW

Jul 14, 2015
To me this validates my Wild Ass Guess speculation that the Bally/Williams license holders were fed up with Farsight's poor execution and have switched to someone they think can deliver. :cool: I prefer Farsight's physics overall, but their terrible UI, sloppy execution on platform ports and addressing bugs, and ignoring their core dedicated base did them in. Move on to a team that has a track record that shows they can deliver.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Sorry, but I'm big fan of FarSight now since PHoFW and I don't want to buy Zen pinball now.

Hey, I'm a big fan of FarSight too. I have 140+ podcasts to prove it. They have been wonderful stewards of pinball, and will continue to be for Stern and Gottlieb. It looks like you are only on console, so you won't be able to play the demo just yet. When the time comes, download it just to give the trial versions of these 4 tables a go. After that, I think it's going to be real hard for you to not want to buy the Zen versions. And here's the thing, it's not like you are taking money away from FarSight as they can't sell these tables anymore anyways. This is not an us or them situation, it is a hurray for digital pinball situation.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
We’re going into full unadulterated speculation mode next podcast and that is one of the very things we’ll be touching on.

Blimey, already the 3 Solo tables, and the 2 for TPA announced so looks like you would have had plenty for a podcast even before this bombshell. Says on the FAQ on the other thread that after the initial 4 tables there will be another 4 by the end of 2018 - have Zen expanded their staff to be able to make so many so quickly? Looks like it may have been a good thing that I just missed out on buying most of the TPA tables.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
To me this validates my Wild Ass Guess speculation that the Bally/Williams license holders were fed up with Farsight's poor execution and have switched to someone they think can deliver. :cool: I prefer Farsight's physics overall, but their terrible UI, sloppy execution on platform ports and addressing bugs, and ignoring their core dedicated base did them in. Move on to a team that has a track record that shows they can deliver.

Did you try the demo yet? These aren't the standard Zen physics, but something all new. It's quite simply the closest in feel to real pinball I've experienced digitally.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Blimey, already the 3 Solo tables, and the 2 for TPA announced so looks like you would have had plenty for a podcast even before this bombshell. Says on the FAQ on the other thread that after the initial 4 tables there will be another 4 by the end of 2018 - have Zen expanded their staff to be able to make so many so quickly? Looks like it may have been a good thing that I just missed out on buying most of the TPA tables.

Yeah, when it rains it pours, right? We are going to have Mel Kirk from Zen on our podcast in 2 weeks. That's a good question that I'll try and ask. We simply don't know their staffing other than rumors we've heard.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
Re-creating real world tables, as opposed to fako tables will give relevance to Zen, at least for me. I just couldn't get into their made-up tables.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Did you try the demo yet? These aren't the standard Zen physics, but something all new. It's quite simply the closest in feel to real pinball I've experienced digitally.

Exactly. Everyone knows how critical I’ve been of Zen’s physics over the years, but I’m in love with what they’ve achieved in this demo, so that says a lot...and this is just their first crack at realistic physics, so I’m excited to see them run with it to even greater heights. It’s an exciting time to be a pinball nut.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018

Or they were just willing to pay more for the license :p

Though, I definitely admit there's lots we could improve on.

PS: We have the same first name and last initial...

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
Farsight are dead. Everyone else will move their license to Zen as soon as they are contractually able too.
It serves Farsight right for being absolutely useless.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Farsight are dead. Everyone else will move their license to Zen as soon as they are contractually able too.
It serves Farsight right for being absolutely useless.

They haven't been useless, far from it. Were it not for them, digital pinball would not be nearly as popular as it has gotten. According to that leaked Steam info sheet, they absolutely dwarfed Zen by nearly 500,000 in the download department. And Steam is not even their most popular platform. They extended what probably was to only be a 2 season game into 8. Was it the game you hoped for? Possibly not, but they did a pretty good job with the engine they built.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They haven't been useless, far from it. Were it not for them, digital pinball would not be nearly as popular as it has gotten. According to that leaked Steam info sheet, they absolutely dwarfed Zen by nearly 500,000 in the download department. And Steam is not even their most popular platform. They extended what probably was to only be a 2 season game into 8. Was it the game you hoped for? Possibly not, but they did a pretty good job with the engine they built.

Well said, SYT. There’s no denying the impact Farsight has had on the popularity of digital pinball, and pinball in general. You can be absolutely sure that the barcades, pinball shows, tournament scenes, etc. would see smaller crowds if not for Farsight, not to mention the positive effect they’ve had on the sales of real pinball machines.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well said, SYT. There’s no denying the impact Farsight has had on the popularity of digital pinball, and pinball in general. You can be absolutely sure that the barcades, pinball shows, tournament scenes, etc. would see smaller crowds if not for Farsight, not to mention the positive effect they’ve had on the sales of real pinball machines.

You mean like the ones both of us bought because of the game sparking our desire?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
You mean like the ones both of us bought because of the game sparking our desire?

Exactly right.

As for digital pinball specifically, Farsight blazed the trail in a lot of ways. I was playing PHOF on my PSP in 2006. The first truly modern version of mobile digital pinball, before a "smart phone" even existed (the first iPhone didn't arrive till 2007 and it was quite awhile before the app store and the hardware itself evolved into a proper gaming experience).

Gotta give credit where it's due.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online