WMS License - Speculation Thread

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
I'm sure those kickstarter supporters would still get pissy about it being made available to non kick supporters. *rolls eyes*
They were very vocal about not wanting to share their toys.

And then some of those same people complain about company's being greedy

Striker

May 26, 2017
Yeah, in some part you can blame Disney - as a general before the change to placate corporations rather than individuals the IP protection was 50years, what you would expect a person to live and benefit from the work done.
Now Disney was getting close to loose there 'rights' to Micky Mouse and so lobbied to change the law so that it could forever hold the rights to this character... Well, I am not impressed with humanity thinking Corporations are 'more human than humans themselves' :(

This is why copyright law needs reform. The term lengths are insane and contrary to what the Founding Fathers (at least here in America) envisioned. To encourage creativity and innovation, yes, you give the creator a limited term to exploit the rights. Congress initially gave creators one 14-year term, plus another 14-year term if they paid a renewal fee. That's it. After that it's supposed to lapse into the public domain so others can build on and expand on the original expression. More creativity! More innovation! After 28 years, anyone should have been free to make a better Pinbot. But sadly, due to entertainment business lobbying the term is up to ridiculous lengths, anywhere from 70 to 120 years or even more (life of the author + 70 years).

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I was an Addams Family Gold tier backer and as far as I'm concerned, FarSight can unlock the Gold version for everyone who owns the Addams Family table to enjoy which would also allow all of us to finally be able to play Addams Family Gold offline.

According to last night's Twitch stream, FarSight isn't allowed to change pricing or put anything new up for sell if it involves the WMS license which means unlocking the Gold version is the only other option aside from keeping it exclusive for us Gold tier backers which really doesn't make much sense anymore since we already accomplished our goal.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
FOR F.... SAKE , GIVE IT TO EVERYONE THAT HAS THE TABLE !!!! I have the Gold version , that would be a nice thank you , from you Farsight !!!:cool:

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I was a gold backer as well and would not mind if it was on sale or even simply unlocked for everyone... the unlocking never seems to have been working as planned anyway... I ended up having it on all platforms I received the regular table for and others apparently had it without having pledged for it at all. I'd say "Free GOLD for everyone" :)

Catapult Ace

May 27, 2015
It's really great that those gold backers who replied in this thread yet wouldn't have a problem when TAF Gold would be unlocked for everyone (free/paid) who have already purchased TAF. Maybe Farsight will think about it.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Yeah, I got Gold from one of the Dr Who tiers. I see it as support for FS and to show that pinball is important to digitalize in as perfect maner possible (that means keep updating older tables, hint hint).

So I am fine with sharing the Gold version too :D

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
I am a Gold backer as well. Farsight, please open up sales to everyone for TAFG or just unlock the Gold ROM for those that already own TAF. Again, as with ToTAN, TAFG is included in the $150 Arcooda steam key. How can you offer it as part of the package if everyone doesn’t have a chance to own it? I think we went over the Kickstarter goal by $17,000. It took a lot of backers to make this happen so the community deserves it. Gold for everyone I say!!

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I'm a bit surprised there's the assumption that the Kickstarter backers don't want any one else to get the gold rom, I can't recall seeing anyone seriously upset about the idea. For the record, I'm another Gold backer from both AF and DW who would ask to please make it available for everyone else before it's too late.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm a bit surprised there's the assumption that the Kickstarter backers don't want any one else to get the gold rom, I can't recall seeing anyone seriously upset about the idea. For the record, I'm another Gold backer from both AF and DW who would ask to please make it available for everyone else before it's too late.

There was a very vocal segment during the Kickstarter and after, when people were asking if Gold would eventually be made available, that didn’t think that was cool in the least. They felt for the price they were paying, why should “freeloading non backers” benefit? A year after, that sentiment still prevailed.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
There was a very vocal segment during the Kickstarter and after, when people were asking if Gold would eventually be made available, that didn’t think that was cool in the least. They felt for the price they were paying, why should “freeloading non backers” benefit? A year after, that sentiment still prevailed.

Everything is irrelevant now that tables are going away. Need as big an installed base as possible for future support. The value of that paid premium decreases significantly if it's last in line for support issues because only a handful of customer have it

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Everything is irrelevant now that tables are going away. Need as big an installed base as possible for future support. The value of that paid premium decreases significantly if it's last in line for support issues because only a handful of customer have it

Hey, I’m just glad to see Gold backers coming on here and saying “do whatever you gotta do to let people have it”, because that was what prevented FarSight from offering it before; customer backlash.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
The way they have been so inconsistent with the Kickstarters left a bad taste in my mouth. I pledged $100 for the backer exclusive pro menu for Twillight Zone, which they ended up giving for free to anyone that pledged $5 or more (plus any Joe Schmo can buy it for a few bucks). And I was okay with that.

But I find the inconsistency with the Addams Kickstarter upsetting to say the least.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
I was playing some of the older tables last night - it really is a shame they won't see any further updates or improvements :(
Unless they totally surprise us within the next month, but they're probably not allowed to even do that
When they ended Season 7, I was hoping they would spend some more time going back, as they indicated.

But, I am glad I still have them even if nothing further will be done with them.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.