WMS License - Speculation Thread

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I know this has been going on in some other threads, but I'd be interested in what ideas/speculations people have regarding what Scientific Games may be planning to do with the WMS licenses. Here are my thoughts, just brainstorming:

1. New digital pinball game - what's really interesting is that they are being so firm in 1. not allowing future sales of already created tables, and 2. shutting down the Switch release so quickly. This leads me to believe they are planning on sublicensing/marketing a competing product to Farsight. I think this has to be the most likely option. Whether it's good or bad news for fans remains to be seen.
  2. Maybe the revenue they got from TPA was not enough to make it worth it to them to keep the license agreements in place (legal fees, time and focus), and they just want to sit on the licenses, hoping they gain value and can be sold at a higher price to someone eventually.
  3. Scientific Games bought the license in 2013, they are a gambling software company, possibly they are planning on doing some kind of gambling product (digital poker or something like that) using digital pinball licenses. Doesn't really explain why they wouldn't want TPA to have their tables, though, since TPA would just increase popularity of the games in general.
  4. More focus on "Remakes" of physical games - with Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars and now Monster Bash getting "remade" and sold in real life, maybe they are locking down the IP to focus more on this. It doesn't really make sense, I guess, since TPA has almost certainly been a primary vehicle for the resurgence of popularity of physical pinball, but it's a possibility that they are viewing digital pinball as some kind of competition

Does anyone have any other ideas?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm inclined towards #2, but possibly influenced by the Switch fiasco and a feeling that FS were playing "fast and loose" with the licensing terms. In the end if their bean counters say it's not worth continuing with the deal, they'll pull it. This to me has the same vibe as why some of the licensed tables were't even approachable - the IP holders just didn't see it as worth their time or money to even sit down and think about it.

If all it takes is cash to take the licenses off Scientific Games hands, maybe just make a better offer than (speculatively) FS made to them? Give Gary Stern or Jersey Jack a call....

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
Well, I read somewhere that a former head of Electronic Arts is in charge of Scientific Games so we all know how competent that person is. :p Like I mentioned in a previous post I wouldn't be shocked to see another pinball app come out with prices $5+ per table and worse for highly licensed ones so all those complaining about Farsight's prices will go into rage mode. lol Personally, I think they will be like a lot of these companies that have old IP's and just stick them in the vault to rot cause they can, was stated in the podcast that those in charge have no passion/interest in pinball at all.

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Initially, I thought that Scientific Games got pissed when Farsight released on the Switch without checking with them if it was okay to do so. After listening to Shutyertrap's podcast, I kind of like the idea about Scientific Games being sick of negotiating with Farsight every two years and not wanting to sell them the rights to their complete library of pinball titles. Or maybe it is some kind of combination of the two theories.

Personally, I don't think Scientific Games will care enough about their property to license their pinball tables to another company.

Now, I feel like instead of being disappointed when a Gottlieb is released, I'll be hoping for a Gottlieb.

FarSight_Matt

FarSight Employee
Jan 24, 2018
IMO judging by their website and their current products I think they're going to rot or be shoehorned into slot machines.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I'd love to be wrong, but as far as digital pinball purposes go, I'm gonna have to vote "they're going to sit on them and let them rot" with Matt and Blkthorne.

Tom Devaney

FarSight Employee
Dec 13, 2017
1 wouldn't make any sense at all. If there's already a digital pinball game that's done some of the best tables already, and it's been out there for several years, it doesn't make much sense that they'd want to add a competitor when there's already such an established game. It'd be like Radical Heights trying to make it big on the Battle Royale hype even though Fortnite and PUBG are already the kings. Or even worse, it'd be like a new Battle Royale game trying to come out with their game 7 years after PUBG and Fortnite have already established themselves as kings.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I wouldn't be shocked to see another pinball app come out with prices $5+ per table and worse for highly licensed ones so all those complaining about Farsight's prices will go into rage mode.

Given current trends I'd actually assume it would be free to download with 1 token to play that recharges every 8 hours. You can then buy "pinboxes" that might contain extra tokens or might just be virtual stickers you can put on the virtual machine.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
1 wouldn't make any sense at all. If there's already a digital pinball game that's done some of the best tables already, and it's been out there for several years, it doesn't make much sense that they'd want to add a competitor when there's already such an established game. It'd be like Radical Heights trying to make it big on the Battle Royale hype even though Fortnite and PUBG are already the kings. Or even worse, it'd be like a new Battle Royale game trying to come out with their game 7 years after PUBG and Fortnite have already established themselves as kings.

If it's true that the one running the place is a former EA exec, I wouldn't be surprised to see them double dip on a pinball app, would go in line with their philosophy at EA. The big difference is they have the rights to arguably greatest pinball tables in the world, 2/3 of TPA was Bally/Williams so they can just march those tables out and people would pay for them again. To be honest, I know I would if they were released again even at a higher price point.

Plungemaster

Apr 19, 2018
We are never gonne see a legal digital williams table ever again. Because they are selfish *******s. That is what i am afraid for. They dont care about pinball and it does not give enough money, so put it in te closet and that is it.

Disgusting!

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
If something's making you more money, why would you even stop? I don't get their logic, honestly. It makes no sense to me.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Best case scenario - they decide to sell off the license to cash in on the newly legalized sports betting and we get all the tables plus more back within a year.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
the fish rots from the head , have a look at all your pollies , both sides , who take grubby money from any bastard !!! :cool: say no more !!!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
If something's making you more money, why would you even stop? I don't get their logic, honestly. It makes no sense to me.
Kaibun , have a look at Scientific Games , they deal in billions all round the world . the money they got from Farsight would`ve been chicken feed for them . :cool:

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
IMO judging by their website and their current products I think they're going to rot or be shoehorned into slot machines.
Agreed! They are pretty much pulling off a Konami. Take their well established IPs and make them into slot machines.

Then they probably plan to just do more of this.

https://www.sggaming.com/games/wms
I rest my case.

Kaibun , have a look at Scientific Games , they deal in billions all round the world . the money they got from Farsight would`ve been chicken feed for them . :cool:
It probably costs more to pay an employee to manage the WMS licenses, than what they are getting from Farsight.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Don’t forget that H1Z1 was once the king long before anyone had even heard of PUBG, and it was dethroned, and now look at it...and Fornite has really only been popular for a few short months...so anything can happen in this industry.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm not gonna comment on this thread as I'm saving all my speculation for our podcast. Then I'll jump into the fray here. Instead this is me subscribing to the thread!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.